Trick to save documents

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Depends on the app. If it uses ajax to send requests to a server, then, no, won't work (not without a connection, anyway). If it's all javascript and images, should work fine without a connection to the server.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Yes, from an engineering perspective, it is "pretty cool."

And I seriously doubt it was a "bad design decision." More like a "questionable marketing decision" to release the phone before more features were ready. I guarantee there will be a file browser before too long.

As for the inability to have non-Apple-sanctioned apps other than through the web browser, that's a discussion that never goes anywhere (and I'm on your side as far as that one goes).

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
You don't find it cool to be able to package an entire webpage, including embedded objects and internal script state into a single bookmarkable string?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
You don't find it cool to be able to package an entire webpage, including embedded objects and internal script state into a single bookmarkable string?

You've been able to save pages like that for years. On the Mac IE even had that 'snapshot' feature, so I don't see what is so amazing, it's not unique by a long shot. It sucks that this is the only way you can save docs. What if someone sends you a link to pictures from the web and you want to add their Picasa album to your Pictures? You can't do it this way, can you? What if you want to attach something you've saved to an email, can you do that? Can you sync the saved stuff to the desktop and access it? If the answer to these is 'no' t really isn't 'cool', it is kind of 'sucky' that you have to do this kloogy workaround :( I hope you are right that a file browser is coming, but seeing they don't want 3rd party apps or downloads really, what would be the point?

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you haven't been able to save pages like that. As a collection of re-referenced files, sure, but not as a binary-encoded URL. Maybe the mac had the ability to save into one file or something, but it's still a file, not a url. URLs have a magical place in the world of html - you can link to them, etc.

As for syncing to the desktop, yes you can do that, but I imagine only safari on the desktop could load it. In fact, the recommended way of getting the linkstring onto your iphone is to do it on the desktop and synch it, so i imagine it works both ways.

And you are cheating. I say it's a cool engineering hack. And you say it's not cool because it's a workaround. I'm not talking about it as a workaround. I'm talking about it as a self-contained hack. I happen to find it cool that I can save an entire page, pictures and objects included, into a single text string that, theoretically, I could type into the address bar and have the page render correctly. The guy did it with a 350k long url, and it worked. That's just neat. It's just as neat to be able to do that on the desktop. It opens up all sorts of possibilities. It's like capturing the state of the browser and being able to resurrect it.

In fact, I bet I could fairly easily generate new images on the fly on the client side by generating the appropriate strings. Hmm. Opens up all sorts of fun ideas.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
I limited workaround to a bad design decision is 'pretty cool'? :confused:
You may have a problem with not being able to add apps, but at the moment i dont. There are only 2 apps i miss from my 650 and i can live without them until Apple either comes up with their own solution or allows 3rd party apps. In terms of this method, in and of itself, it is pretty cool. If you dont think so, that's fine, your opinion is noted and my opinion is unchanged.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
You may have a problem with not being able to add apps, but at the moment i dont. There are only 2 apps i miss from my 650 and i can live without them until Apple either comes up with their own solution or allows 3rd party apps. In terms of this method, in and of itself, it is pretty cool. If you dont think so, that's fine, your opinion is noted and my opinion is unchanged.

It was the saving of docs or pictures from OTA (web, email) I was referring to. It would be much nicer if you had more control over this.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I think everyone agrees with that. Unless they open up a SDK, it will always be impossible to have applications that interact with the phone's database (whether it be contacts, photos, music, or google maps mashups, or whatever.) All we can do now is treat the browser environment as its own little independent machine.

That aside, if we're going to be stuck (for now at least) with the browser, I am thrilled that people are figuring out how to get as much as possible from it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711