BRACE YOURSELVES- Here it comes...

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
wider than a treo 680, taller than a treo 680. not as thin as a MotoQ/Jack... Pearl is still smallest and lightest (i think, or close to). i still like the design but really hate the idea of the soft-keyboard. email still a question mark but all the other creature comforts would be lots of fun to have when on the go. i don't think it could replace my primary business device at this point.

the thing is slick

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Thats irrelevant when it comes to web browsing, displaying video and pictures, spread sheets and word documents. Real pixels count. This is especially true if it can run real desktop apps.

Surur
It is clear that I am always wrong here at TreoCentral (I post here for amusement in case you haven't noticed) so take daringfireball's one and only comment as proof:

"What you cannot appreciate looking at iPhone photographs on your computer display is how amazing its screen is. 166 DPI is an amazing resolution — tiny, tiny text is amazingly legible. And the device itself is very thin."

http://daringfireball.net/

This is the oppisite of what to expect from every other manufacturer - using fake screens in photo shots, the real screen always holds a disappointment when compared to photography shots; where as with Apple's phone, you will not be disappointed, you will be impressed because it will look better in person.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
No that was not what you were saying. You were saying 160px/in is top of tier spec. Now you are talking about something else, which I am not disagreeing with. I have not doubting that it has one of the best screens. Anti alaising is not a selling point however. I don't care about it on desktop anyway.
I see what you are saying. My intent was to have the sentence following the pixel count then address other factors that should be considered for screen quality.

The sentence that follows was to talk about how the OS effects this.

One other point that I didn't mention are hardware specs that are not listed as specs. Things like the quality of the screen (ie: say the space between each of the screen pixels, not pixel density- on Apple's phone this space is practically 0, certainly 0 to the naked eye).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Archie, what do you want from a smartphone. I wonder how it is that the iphone so easily satisfies you.

In my case, I use my HTC Universal (UMTS, VGA screen, 67 key keyboard, WIFI, bluetooth, SD card etc) to:
1) take notes every day
2) browse the web.
3) use as a modem for my laptop.
4) make phone call of course.
5) reference material.
6) GPS navigation occasionally.
7) Occasional photos.
8) Listen to music and watch video or SlingBox.

1) will be worse with the iphone, due to the on screen keyboard with no feedback.
2) will be worse, due to the lower resolution screen (but direct access to full javascript and flash may make up for it).
3) will be worse due to slower edge, and no simultaneous voice or data.
4) who knows. But grease on the screen will definitely be a problem.
5) will the software and references i want be available on the device, does it even run third party software (not widgets).
6) Same as above. Can I get voice guidance, does it run TomTom?
7) May be better, but the next generation is 3.2 to 5 Megapixel cameras with good lenses. 2 Megapixel is 2006ish
8) will probably be better, but a $100 8GB SDHC at the end of 2007 will probably have the same capacity.

Like I said, how does the iphone satisfy you so easily. It certainly would not satisfy my needs. I expect an HTC Omni would give me more of the same as above, which is exactly what I want - an even higher res screen, faster networking, better camera, built-in GPS. Thats the device i am waiting for in 2007.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I will come back tomorrow after you have had a chance to watch Steve demo it in the keynote and then see if you still want me to answer your questions.

TR30

Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
That's one sick *ss, phone! Love the UI, the Safari web, widescreen, and of course the multimedia features.

But I'm gonna have to agree with others. I reply to a lot of emails on my 700p and some replies are pretty extensive. With soft keys, I'm not sure if that'll frustrate me -- not being able to feel the keys and type as fast. I guess I have to wait til June and try it out myself and see if it's something I think I'll get used to.

Also, not sure if I can go backwards with the data speed connection. EV-DO is basically what made me upgrade from the 650 to the 700p and I love it. It makes web surfing much more fun and I stream a lot of music and videos through it. (I can't wait to try out the SlingPlayer!) I guess Wi-Fi is a good alternative, but I'm rarely around areas with Wi-Fi access. I have Wi-Fi at home, but I usually go on my powerhouse desktop if I want to use the internet.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is definitely a sweet phone. It does a lot of things the 700p can do, and in most ways it does the job better, but the two important things to me that I feel the iPhone doesn't do better is the keyboard and data connection. That's a deal breaker for me. If the iPhone came with a sliding keyboard and 3G, I'd definitely ditch my Treo in a heartbeat. I guess I'll have to wait for the next iPhone.

Can't wait to hear some "Treo vs. iPhone" reviews this June by our very own Treo users in this forum!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i love the fact that SO MANY have been crying about the lack of wi-fi on their Treos and how some are now starting to dismiss it as a device feature.

evdo, edge....both work just fine.

i think the question lies in the keyboard but i'd still buy one as a secondary device.

the thing is bad-***.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Oalvarez - have you actually tried EVDO and Edge side-by-side?

Then tell me edge works just fine.

Yeah, I have too. My wife's 6700 uses EV-DO and my 8125 has EDGE. More often than not, my 8125 can load web pages faster than her 6700. I've tried it here at home, in Manhattan, in Phoenix, Charlotte, and the results are consistent - my data service provides faster results more than half the time. WHEN hers is faster, it's notably faster - it's just not faster that often.

I'd prefer 3G, but like oalvarez, I have a real computer when I want some intensive surfing time. The iPhone SEEMS to offer enough design features that I like, that I'm willing (begrudgingly) to give up 3G speed. Then again, right now, the argument is sort of moot. No one but Jobs is actually using this thing daily, so we don't know what sort of quirks and real world limitations it has...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2