BRACE YOURSELVES- Here it comes...

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
techhero_specs20070109.jpg

It sure is lovely though. I might just get it to play with. But if it does not run existing desktop software, or needs a whole new base of third-party software it may not be for me.

Surur

FOR ALL GIZMODO READERS - THIS IS NOT ACTUAL SIZE...

:D

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Thats irrelevant when it comes to web browsing, displaying video and pictures, spread sheets and word documents.
All of which many of us have been doing on much lower res screens. Sure all other things being equal more pixels and a bigger screen will be better for many functions (a laptop would be far superior all of the things you mention), but all things aren't equal and for phones size matters. I wonder how big your Omni will be? At least twice the volume and at least 50% heavier than the iPhone would be my guess.

EDIT ... and one percent as pretty :)

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
What. The 650 has a 320X320 2.5" screen. That comes out to 180 pixel/inch.
That's what I'm saying the Treo 650 doesn't use anti-aliasing... or CORE Image or CORE Animation. Apple's phone does and has a better picture because of it. I think its funny that we are talking about these specs because in the end — you cannot see any pixels on the screen of this phone. This is what I'm saying. It is like the screen is holding actual objects, not representations of them based on little backlit pixels.

This is what I mean by innovation.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Speculation??? sorry but it's all over apple's site and in the keynote that it is EDGE only. yeah it sucks for us(and apple) but for some reason they have left out 3g. for me it's not a huge concern cause I'm usually near a wifi network.

Not necessarily a deal breaker for me, either - but I still wonder how it'll fare in data rich cultures like the EU and Asia where high speed data is the norm. This is the ONE lacking feature, however, that may make me stay away. I'll have to see it in person to make the final decision. I'm going ahead with my 8525 order next week anyway. We should have 3G in my area in the next few weeks, so I can determine how important that is in the meantime.

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
That's what I'm saying the Treo 650 doesn't use anti-aliasing... or CORE Image or CORE Animation. Apple's phone does and has a better picture because of it. I think its funny that we are talking about these specs because in the end ? you cannot see any pixels on the screen of this phone. This is what I'm saying. It is like the screen is holding actual objects, not representations of them based on little backlit pixels.

This is what I mean by innovation.

No that was not what you were saying. You were saying 160px/in is top of tier spec. Now you are talking about something else, which I am not disagreeing with. I have not doubting that it has one of the best screens. Anti alaising is not a selling point however. I don't care about it on desktop anyway.

PDR447

Oct 2, 2006
Visit site
one of my majpr concerns is going to by typing on the touch screen. gonna have to try that out before I buy it for sure. could make texting a pain in the *** if the touch keyboard sucks.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
That's what I'm saying the Treo 650 doesn't use anti-aliasing... or CORE Image or CORE Animation. Apple's phone does and has a better picture because of it. I think its funny that we are talking about these specs because in the end ? you cannot see any pixels on the screen of this phone. This is what I'm saying. It is like the screen is holding actual objects, not representations of them based on little backlit pixels.

We are talking about artist mock-ups here. Of course you will be able to see individual pixels on such a low res screen. Only 320 pixels wide is pretty unimpressive.

All of which many of us have been doing on much lower res screens.

Speak for yourself ;) I have been VGA since 2005. Anyway, my main point is that to use desktop optimized apps you need a higher resolution. I was thinking of running Mac Outlook to keep my PIM etc, so obviously I need a high res. But if I cant run real desktop apps then i really need to know what range of third party software is available.

Surur

aznmode

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I agree about the keyboard. Ive always been a favor of hard button over soft buttons. We wont really know till this thing comes out.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
We are talking about artist mock-ups here. Of course you will be able to see individual pixels on such a low res screen. Only 320 pixels wide is pretty unimpressive.

Speak for yourself ;) I have been VGA since 2005. Anyway, my main point is that to use desktop optimized apps you need a higher resolution. I was thinking of running Mac Outlook to keep my PIM etc, so obviously I need a high res. But if I cant run real desktop apps then i really need to know what range of third party software is available.
The phone UI and the apps shown seem to be tailored to the device. I think they have to be. If they didn't do that it would be necessary to 1) show only bit of what is shown on a laptop/desk top screen or 2) make everything really tiny. Either of those would probably be a disaster. I'd be very, very surprised if the device were able to just take a desktop app and make it run in acceptable fashion. My guess is that all apps will need at least some work before they're usable on the phone (possibly before they'll run at all). Widgets might be an exception.

As for running Entourage (what Outlook is called on the Mac), you'd probably have to ask Microsoft. I imagine that there will be basic syncing of PIM with Windows Outlook (just as there is with current iPods) but then you'd need to view, manage and use the data from the in-built apps - iCal (seems to be called just 'Calendar'), Address Book, Notes.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
YES! I was hoping to drive by the local Apple store and pick up an iPhone but I guess I'll just have to wait till June.

I am SO glad I waited to get a new phone :)

What's Apple's stock at now?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
soft keyboard could spell its demise for the business user....not sure how they could design the onscreen keyboard to allow accurate and effective typing. my experience is that the soft keyboards don't work very well given the size/proximity of the keys.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i'm sure battery life has been covered but i can't believe that it could power so much and still keep up.

LOVE THE PRODUCT so far especially as a secondary device (weekender, fun phone)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2