iPhone 3gs sinal strength issue

foley7

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 3gs signal strength issue

I am having an issue with my iPhone 3 gs. I have noticed that the wifi signal strength is 1 bar when my wires 3 g is full stength side by side. I have also noticed that my 3 g AT&T connection is about half of what hers is on a side by side compairison. Right mow I am at 3 bars and she is at 5. My connection also fluctuates up and down while I'm just sitting here, while hers remains strong. I called apple and they had best buy replace it. And the new one does the same thing. Is anyone else having this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I say give Apple a call. This has been reported here a few times that the wifi has considerably less range with OS 3.0.

mobidutch

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
My 3GS also has trouble with WiFi. Can't confirm a definite difference in cellphone reception, although my 3GS did drop a call the other day on a stretch of highway where I never had any issue with my 3G. But I can for certian say that my 3GS WiFi reception is not up to par with the 3G. If I move a few rooms away from my access point, the 3G shows full bars, the 3GS hovers between 1 and 2, and sometimes drops connection entirely. All Apple could suggest (Genius Bar) was to swap it out for a new one...which I have yet to do since no AT&T store in my neighborhood has stock.

foley7

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I did the replacement and it had zero effect. was at a wedding receotion this evening and 3gs had no service my wifes 3g hd 4 bars consistently. apple was no help.

IphoneInNC

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
I am seeing the excact same thing. I am on the 3G border in my house and the iPhone 3G was always getting a good signal - able to connect to the cell data network and receive and make calls. That is not the case with my brand new 3GS.

I have always been impressed with the signal quality of the 3G phone with both 2.xx and 3.0 firmware on the 3G phone. Compared the 3GS is really bad.

IphoneInNC

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
It seems to be related to a couple of things but I have gotten better 3G reception by adding 4 layers of tape to the back of my SIM. It seems like there might be a contact problem between the SIM and phone.

Also, there has been reports that the 3GS has battery problems. I did what properly most of you that went from a 3G to the GS did; I hooked the phone up to iTunes and let it sync all settings, programs, etc back on to the new phone. I found that if you reset the phone back to factory and then manually add settings for mail back and then just sync programs and other stuff that doesn't use the data connection (like mail does) the battery does much better. Also it doesn't get as hot as it did before.

Something must have changed between the 3G and the GS in the way settings for mail is applied.

I left the phone out of the charger over night and I still had 80% battery left when I got up this morning.

jetsetter4life

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Reception on 3G/3GS

I'm having the same issues with WiFi and signal strength. I've been able to make calls in my house since I can remember, and since I've upgraded to the 3GS and my fiancee upgraded to 3.0, we have to go outside to make a call. It's horribly frustrating since we rely on our iPhones for our home service. Apple needs to address these issues in 3.1 or I'm going to have to swap phones when I get home. Not really ideal.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I've started to notice and increased drop call and I've its due to handover from 3G to none 3G areas. So on calls alone, I can suspect the carrier network because when I turn 3G off, I can retain calls longer at the expense of somewhat degraded voice quality.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have full bars everywhere I go, better then my Blackberry Bold had and neither my wife and I are having WiFi problems either. I run a CISCO 1200 series wireless Access Point at the office and also at home.

bova80

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
i have this same problem with my 3gs. also seems that my phone gets excessively hot when using it at times too, like playing a game. battery life seems to go down quickly as well. i am running 3.1 and it doesn't seem to help the problem at all. i actually noticed it more once i updated to 3.1.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2