Ordered my Upgrade...SIM Card Question?

DaniPhiSig

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello all!

Thank you for your answers on my previous post....Decided to go with the larger Iphone 12 in Purple. Verizon is basically sold out of everything else (here in AZ at least) so wanted to go for it.

Since I am upgrading from the 6 to the 12, and I don't use ITunes for backup BUT I do use ICloud for messages, photos, etc. (calendar, contacts, notes, etc. I believe already go there because, well that's where they go), what is the best way to make sure that my info transfers over?

Music is easy, I can just redownload onto the new phone, same as apps.

I read something about changing out the SIM cards, but with I don't believe that the SIM from the 6 fits in the 12? Because it is the upgrade, we are required to factory reset our phones AND send them back in order to get the credit back to our wireless plan (surprisingly, my 6 is worth a lot more to them than I thought.....$450 worth!).

Would love some input on this since it's been a long a$$ time since I've upgraded my phone lol.

Thank you!!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello all!

Thank you for your answers on my previous post....Decided to go with the larger Iphone 12 in Purple. Verizon is basically sold out of everything else (here in AZ at least) so wanted to go for it.

Since I am upgrading from the 6 to the 12, and I don't use ITunes for backup BUT I do use ICloud for messages, photos, etc. (calendar, contacts, notes, etc. I believe already go there because, well that's where they go), what is the best way to make sure that my info transfers over?

The easiest way would be to do either a device-to-device transfer (what Apple calls "Quick Start"), or through an iCloud Backup.
Apple has a very nice writeup on how to do those right here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201269

Be aware some apps do not transfer their settings, like line-of-business business apps whose encryption keys would be tied to the device. Those are rare, but they do exist.

I read something about changing out the SIM cards, but with I don't believe that the SIM from the 6 fits in the 12? Because it is the upgrade, we are required to factory reset our phones AND send them back in order to get the credit back to our wireless plan (surprisingly, my 6 is worth a lot more to them than I thought.....$450 worth!).

Thank you!!

If your iPhone 6 has a SIM card, it will fit the iPhone 12. iPhone uses the nanoSIM format for the physical SIM card since iPhone 5. With the iPhone 11, it also carries an eSIM (e standing for embedded).

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello all!

Music is easy, I can just redownload onto the new phone, same as apps.

Would love some input on this since it's been a long a$$ time since I've upgraded my phone lol.

Thank you!!

Okay, personally I would spend the extra $100 and get the 13, but that’s irrelevant.

Now, what I feel is the best way… Go into settings, at the top of the page click on your name, then click on iCloud. You’ll see a list of apps that store and sync data with the cloud. Make sure messages is turned on. Turn on iCloud for any other app data you would like to keep.

When you get your new iPhone, turn on iCloud storage and sync.

A few pointers. You will have in your hands a nice new device in a pristine state. There are probably apps that you use routinely. Install them. Everything else that you have on your old device, do not reinstall until you actually use it, if ever.

SIM card. You probably have an old SIM card in your phone. Please make sure that your get a new one from your carrier as soon as possible. I guarantee your device will work better on their network with a new card.

Social Media. Take this time to reevaluate your Facebook/Twitter usage. I stopped about three years ago. Ignorance is bliss. I’m so much happier now, not realizing how stupid some people really are. :)

Anyway, upgrade day should be an enjoyable day, just make sure you turn on iCloud storage for the app data you wish to keep.

One last thing, don’t turn on iCloud storage at the last minute and then wipe your phone. It takes a few minutes to both upload and download.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
iCloud is the best way! Especially if you don’t have your old phone handy to do a Quick Transfer.
Once you log into your iCloud, on your new phone, you’ll end up with a literal copy of your iPhone 6, down to the settings and app positions.
As for the SIM card, it fits the 12 since it’s the same format (Nano SIM).

I hope it helps!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The easiest way would be to do either a device-to-device transfer (what Apple calls "Quick Start"), or through an iCloud Backup.
Apple has a very nice writeup on how to do those right here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201269

Be aware some apps do not transfer their settings, like line-of-business business apps whose encryption keys would be tied to the device. Those are rare, but they do exist.

If your iPhone 6 has a SIM card, it will fit the iPhone 12. iPhone uses the nanoSIM format for the physical SIM card since iPhone 5. With the iPhone 11, it also carries an eSIM (e standing for embedded).

I have done a device-to-device transfer twice now... once with my iPhone 12 Pro and then again just a couple of weeks ago with my iPad Air 4th Gen. It's awesome!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711