New iPad running HOT!

bdegrande

May 23, 2010
Visit site
This is a problem for all small devices. The new iPad is using a lot more power,(which is why it needs a much larger battery) because of the higher screen resolution and LTE support, and the more powerful graphics chip is going to be taxed more heavily, so more heat.

This is not a problem specific to iPads. Apple actually lowered the clock speed on the second generation of Macbook Airs to make them run cooler than the previous models, and the most recent models, with i5 and i7 processors, run a lot hotter than the Core 2 Duo models did.

Every manufacturer has to deal with these issues. The first Windows tablet that Microsoft demoed, with an i5 processor, had a fan that sounded like a jet engine. Unless Apple really screwed up the product testing, it shouldn't be running hot enough to cause problems.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I love my iPad but this is annoying. This thing should not get this warm. My iPad 2 was never like this. I was reading a freaking PDF for class and it got warm. Seriously they gotta fix this.
How do they "fix" it on devices already in the market? I suppose you could do some software things, maybe, but the hardware is what it is. To my knowledge, Apple has been able to avoid any massive "XBox 360"-like recalls on their hardware so far, so I hope this isn't a big problem for people.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I love my iPad but this is annoying. This thing should not get this warm. My iPad 2 was never like this. I was reading a freaking PDF for class and it got warm. Seriously they gotta fix this.

According to Apples official response to this, I doubt they will fix anything. They believe if a person has this issue they should take their iPad in and have it looked at.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
It gets just a little bit warm after 3 hours of videos and surfing. Lots cooler than my iPhone or any laptop.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my iPad the other day at Verizon, one of their demo units was quite hot and the other wasn't. I was ion the store a couple of days earlier and both were cool then. When I pointed it out to the rep at the store,about the hot iPad, she told me that they leave them on and plugged in all the time and that the heating was "normal". One is hot and the other not... I don't think so. I wonder how long it'll be before one has enough of a problem to hurt someone. I've used mine quite a bit (no serious video gaming) since getting it and have had no problems.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine gets warm if I am heavily using it, but it is not really that warm even. If it starts causing more of a problem I will take it into apple for it to be checked out.

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
According to Apples official response to this, I doubt they will fix anything. They believe if a person has this issue they should take their iPad in and have it looked at.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
Guess I should take it in, but this is not acceptable to me at least. But i guess it's since I'm comparing it to the 2 which never got hot.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Not to offend anyone but this is ridiculous. People are blowing this way out of proportion, mainly mainstream media actually. And of course it gets warmer than the previous models! Look at the differences - quad core graphics, retina display, etc... These will = higher operating temp.

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say, this is far and a way blown out of proportion. It's was almost preventing me from getting a new iPad.

Now that I have one in my hands, the only time, and I do mean the ONLY time this thing even begins to heat up is when I'm downloading a crap ton of large apps. Past that, it never gets past luke warm.

Even with some major gaming happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dalvik

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
i played ME infiltrator for about an hour straight yesterday. It got really hot and as aluminum gets hot it spreaded over all back casing but I have my ipad inside the Buxton cover which i bought at Staples. so it wasnt that noticeable untill i took it out. However people have to understand that with upgraded internals like that it is expected for a device to get hot pretty quickly. my old Motorola Atrix tegra 2 phone was getting hot when i played games on it. its just how the modern chips are built. i'm not concerned with this issue and i think people mostly complain because they're used to their ipad 2 which wasnt overheating. macbooks get hot very quickly all laptops with graphics cores and all high-end smartphones geet hot hell even all tegra android tablets. nothing is wrong with that...

backtothemac

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I am on my second one. I have tried both an AT&T and a Verizon model. I have to say that I think the AT&T model I have gets much hotter than the verizon model did. However, the VZW model was still way to hot for my tastes. This new one feels like I am holding a plate warmer. I don't get it. Does anyone at Apple bother to take the time to use these new devices?

New iPad going back today. Gonna get an iPad 2 and enjoy not scalding my hands.

Elizabeth Abrams

May 13, 2013
Visit site
My hubby bought me this iPad 4 last night as a Mother's Day gift. And yes it's gets warmer hot unlike my iPad 2 am little bit worried too might something wrong with my device... I don't like it running hot while using it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77