ipad good for a grad student?

kimchicowboy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm headed to grad school this fall. With either pages or evernote, would you recommend the iPad for grad school? i'd be using it with either the dock keyboard or wireless keyboard.

thanks!

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Won't Do What A Laptop Will

The answer to "is it good for a grad student" requires the following things considered:

1) Do you have a computer and can you afford another device (not a replacement)?
2) Do want it to access most the web content including flash, java, 85% video content?
3) Do you have extra time to figure out how to make it do what you what?
4) Are you going to create documents and share them?
5) Do you have the money to pay for extra services that are almost required to make this more than a pretty chassis (mobileme, pogo, other cloud services)?
6) Are any of the documents you will have on this proprietary in the form that you don't want to put into the cloud?

iPad is:

iPad != replacement for laptop or desktop or phone
iPad < Laptop or desktop
iPad < most phones
iPad == method of selling MobileMe/iTunes content

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The answer to "is it good for a grad student" requires the following things considered:

1) Do you have a computer and can you afford another device (not a replacement)?
2) Do want it to access most the web content including flash, java, 85% video content?
3) Do you have extra time to figure out how to make it do what you what?
4) Are you going to create documents and share them?
5) Do you have the money to pay for extra services that are almost required to make this more than a pretty chassis (mobileme, pogo, other cloud services)?
6) Are any of the documents you will have on this proprietary in the form that you don't want to put into the cloud?

iPad is:

iPad != replacement for laptop or desktop or phone
iPad < Laptop or desktop
iPad < most phones
iPad == method of selling MobileMe/iTunes content

Hey, you might want to tone down your bias. In fact, what are you even doing on this website? iPad < most phones? Are you on crack?

It's quite obvious that the poster WANTS an iPad already, and he wants to know if it would also be suitable to do his schoolwork on.

To the OP, iWork has a few problems with converting to iPad, so as long as you plan to start the files on the iPad it should be fine. Check out some video reviews of the apps to see if they perform exactly as you'd expect. I found them to be quite adequate.

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey, you might want to tone down your bias. In fact, what are you even doing on this website?

I am hoping that someone will provide insight on making this ipad useful rather than putting it with my 3Com Audrey.

iPad < most phones? Are you on crack?

I cannot see most of the web content I need on my iPad I CAN see most of the content on my phone.

I can write, read, and send documents with same phone and these docs are shareable between apps on the same phone without sending it elsewhere (sync, mobileme, googledocs,..)

It's quite obvious that the poster WANTS an iPad already, and he wants to know if it would also be suitable to do his schoolwork on.

To the OP, iWork has a few problems with converting to iPad, so as long as you plan to start the files on the iPad it should be fine. Check out some video reviews of the apps to see if they perform exactly as you'd expect. I found them to be quite adequate.

To the OP, The applications generally work OK. The design of the system is such that you need to use other services to get data from one application to another... I created a PDF in Pages. I had to send it off the iPad to get it back and read it on the same iPad. To paraphrase the statements of Apple... This is not intended to replace a laptop or desktop.

Should you get it then I recommend by both experience and by reading posts at apple discussion that the goodreader is very valuable. And I find that Sundry notes or takenotes are great for general note taking

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@justageek
what phone are you using? last I checked there isn't a single phone that officially has flash yet. Google docs doesn't work on the iPad? Really? I'd imagine that will be fixed soon..

My point is that while there are some phones that have more functions than an iPad in a list, I wouldn't say they are "better" and it certainly isn't "most" phones. In fact I'd say it's less than 1% of phones.

justageek

May 18, 2010
Visit site
@justageek
what phone are you using? last I checked there isn't a single phone that officially has flash yet.

@Jellotime91
I may have misstated as it seems you feel that I am talking about flash content only. Most video formats are not working on iPad.

Google docs doesn't work on the iPad? Really? I'd imagine that will be fixed soon..

@Jellotime91
I evidently also misstated this I intended to state that googledocs doesn't work. But goodreader is better and does than many. But, why does one need to have the docs on another computer anyway? Why not read it on the unit it was created upon?

I export PDF from pages - I cant read using any reader until I sync, googledoc, pogo, mobileme, email, ...

Actually I don't think I said either of the above things... but misunderstanding can be blamed on the speaker as much as the listener.

My point is that while there are some phones that have more functions than an iPad in a list, I wouldn't say they are "better" and it certainly isn't "most" phones. In fact I'd say it's less than 1% of phones.

For the most part my definition of better here in is that I can actually DO the things using the phone. I can actually see the content on the phone. I can create documents and read them using the phone and not need to send them elsewhere first.

And, yes my stats are represented by my geographic location - I see google phones everywhere that there aren't iphones. These two phones are the most common within the circles I know (even the Jack in the Box girl).

So, if one were to remove iphones from the list (they are essentially iPads with a voice plan) then the rest are google phones and these can do all that I stated and more

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
You two can take your arguing to PM's...

To the OP, i am using my iPad for my online program with university of Phoenix. There is still a need for a regular pc/Mac about once a week, but generally 95% of my work i can do from myipad. Also, all of my reading that is required is in PDF format. The PDFs pull up fine in preview, and also i have a couple PDF readers I've bought that im deciding what i like...mainly because i can pull from my drop box account. However, if your PDFs are protected, currently the iPad can not handle the unlocking of DRM PDFs.

Hit me up if you need any more, and if I am able to do a video for you to put to YouTube Ill be glad.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
You two can take your arguing to PM's...

To the OP, i am using my iPad for my online program with university of Phoenix. There is still a need for a regular pc/Mac about once a week, but generally 95% of my work i can do from myipad. Also, all of my reading that is required is in PDF format. The PDFs pull up fine in preview, and also i have a couple PDF readers I've bought that im deciding what i like...mainly because i can pull from my drop box account. However, if your PDFs are protected, currently the iPad can not handle the unlocking of DRM PDFs.

Hit me up if you need any more, and if I am able to do a video for you to put to YouTube Ill be glad.

I'm about to start online classes with Thomas edition (military type program) and I plan on doing some work on my iPad as well to make it more comfortable and relaxing. Which PDF readers do you recommend so far?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2