Death in the family

killerbeez62

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi Folks

My mother died unexpectedly recently and I inherited her iPad Pro. Its iCloud account is in her name. It wants to update and keeps asking for her password, which I don't have. I can't get past the update password popup. Apple store told me I had to bring her death certificate and social security number before they'll help me with it. I would have to go to the Social Security Office to get a copy of her certificate, and I would just rather not, if I don't have to. How can I switch this over to me? I don't need to save her data or contacts.

QualityFirst

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I am sorry for your loss. The death certificate should be pretty easy to get from the administrator of the estate, or online. The SSN might be a little harder to come across, but if your mother had Medicare, her Medicare number would be her Social Security number.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks

My mother died unexpectedly recently and I inherited her iPad Pro. Its iCloud account is in her name. It wants to update and keeps asking for her password, which I don't have. I can't get past the update password popup. Apple store told me I had to bring her death certificate and social security number before they'll help me with it. I would have to go to the Social Security Office to get a copy of her certificate, and I would just rather not, if I don't have to. How can I switch this over to me? I don't need to save her data or contacts.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I just lost my grandmother on January 26th.

I hope you are able to get the Apple Store to unlock the iPad for you so that you can use it since she left it for you.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
You should be able to get copies of her death certificate from the funeral director. I am so sorry and understand how difficult this is.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, sorry for your loss.

I don't know if you have access to your mothers email but you could do a password recovery through iforgot.apple.com. They will send a verification email to change the password to her email address. If you've got access to that you could change the password to her iCloud. Once you've done that you can sign into the iPad and wipe it.

I say this because I assist my parents and grandparents with their email set up as I'm sure many others do. So you may have access to her email.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am sorry for your mother's passing. Prayers to you and your family. Apple will want proof and that is for security protection. I had to deal with this when my fiancée was killed. His mother didn't know what to do and I had to help her finalize everything. His creditors needed a copy of the death certificate to close out his accounts.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
In the UK I have been asked for the death certificate and a certificate of probate, I assume to prove that I am entitled to the iPad gen4 I am trying to get use of.
The hilarious bit is that Apple want me to do this electronically (email) and don't seem to realise that our probate certificates have an embossed seal that won't show up on a digital copy !!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
In the UK I have been asked for the death certificate and a certificate of probate, I assume to prove that I am entitled to the iPad gen4 I am trying to get use of.
The hilarious bit is that Apple want me to do this electronically (email) and don't seem to realise that our probate certificates have an embossed seal that won't show up on a digital copy !!

I work in finance and work with legal documents on a daily basis. The vast majority of companies are perfectly content with a legible copy and not being able to see the raised seal.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
My deepest condolences on the loss of your mother :(

Hopefully, the death certificate should be acceptable. Many prayers and I wish you the best.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're getting grief about the seal not being seen in a scanned or faxed copy try lightly shading over the embossed area with a pencil so that the seal is visible. That may satisfy Apple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2