Restoring from phone backup

djs71a

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Hello, currently I have only one iOS device, an iPhone 6s plus. I back it up to iCloud and almost daily to iTunes on my Windows computer.

I just purchased an iPad mini 4. When it comes in, I would like to restore it from my iPhone iTunes backup. There are some apps I will delete and only need on my phone, but figured it would be quicker than setting up as a new device and downloading lots of apps.

Are there any draw backs I need to be aware of by resorting a phone backup to an iPad?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It will definitely be quicker to restore, particularly if you do it from iTunes. You might find the set up as new option gives you a chance to really trim back on apps, data, etc.
If you want to keep iMessages, restoring from back up is the best way to do that. These aren't stored in iCloud so won't come back without a backup.

djs71a

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I got the iPad today and restored from my iPhone backup. It seemed to work, but all the home screen icons are not like they are on my phone. I had lots of folders I had apps in. I was hoping not to have to rearrange my home screen, but I guess I will have to.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I got the iPad today and restored from my iPhone backup. It seemed to work, but all the home screen icons are not like they are on my phone. I had lots of folders I had apps in. I was hoping not to have to rearrange my home screen, but I guess I will have to.

Yeah, it doesn't set up folders. You have to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2