A Catch 22 situation

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
My friend got an ipad Air for Christmas. Someone set it up for her and she has no idea what her Apple ID password is.

She also does not have email set up. I tried to set up her iCloud mail - but it needs her Apple ID password, which she does not know.

We know what her Apple ID is because when I try to download an app, it comes up but we can't go any further because we don't know the password!

So she can't get email without her Apple ID password and she can't reset her Apple ID password without email!!

Anybody know what she can do. The ipad is just about useless because she can't use email and she can't download any apps!!

Thanks!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My friend got an ipad Air for Christmas. Someone set it up for her and she has no idea what her Apple ID password is.

She also does not have email set up. I tried to set up her iCloud mail - but it needs her Apple ID password, which she does not know.

We know what her Apple ID is because when I try to download an app, it comes up but we can't go any further because we don't know the password!

So she can't get email without her Apple ID password and she can't reset her Apple ID password without email!!

Anybody know what she can do. The ipad is just about useless because she can't use email and she can't download any apps!!

Thanks!

If you're talking about the iCloud email/password and the activation lock, you have two options.
  1. Enter the correct credentials
  2. Use the iPad as a paperweight.
Sorry to tell you there is NO way around it. If you can't do (1), then you must do (2).

On the other hand, it it's the iTunes store Apple ID, just log out of the account and enter the info for another account or create a new one.
Settings > iTunes & App Stores. Tap on the AppleID and pick Sign Out. Then log in with correct/new credentials.

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
You would think so! Apart from my husband, she is the most computer illiterate person I know!! She asked me to get her email working. Her son set it up. He lives far away but they talk all the time. I asked her since I posted this if he had told her her password and the answer was no, she forgot to ask him. So, I figure I will let her carry on using her iPad air to play the three crossword puzzle games he downloaded for her over Christmas and use the ipad as a paperweight!!

It was bugging me immensely that she has this super useful ipad, but she might as well have bought a 50 cent crossword puzzle book. She actually knows how to use Safari. So if she asks me again for her own email "number" as she calls it (!) I will get her a yahoo or gmail account in Safari and safe the link to her desktop! I can't be bothered any more trying to allow her to download apps, but thanks anyway.

A quick question for HankAZ - I assume if I had a reason to want to, I could log out of my own ID and log in with another brand new one, could I? Would I need a totally different email address to do this? At the moment I am using an old "yahoo.com" email address as my Apple ID.

I assume I could create a new Apple ID, and then log out and log in with my original one could I?

http://ipadinsight.com/ipad-tips-tricks/ipad-basics-how-to-change-the-apple-id-on-the-ipad/

I don't think it precisely says there.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2