Is 1 ram enough for full multitasking ?

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought the iPad Air not too long ago but now I'm having second thoughts because I'm reading bout the possibility of the next ipad having full multitasking features. It really annoys me sometimes the fact of tabs refreshing all the time on Safari, me not being able to do more than one thing at a time.

Does it have anything to do with ram? I ask cuz I have no clue bout computers and it's what I read all the time.

Thanks !

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I bought the iPad Air not too long ago but now I'm having second thoughts because I'm reading bout the possibility of the next ipad having full multitasking features. It really annoys me sometimes the fact of tabs refreshing all the time on Safari, me not being able to do more than one thing at a time.

Does it have anything to do with ram? I ask cuz I have no clue bout computers and it's what I read all the time.

Thanks !

Yes, it is true that it only has 1 GB of RAM. It does offer multitasking, but the tabs do reload quite often due to the limited RAM. It can't run 2 apps side-by-side though. There are some other tablets out there that do offer multi-window and "true" multitasking.

Hiri89

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it is true that it only has 1 GB of RAM. It does offer multitasking, but the tabs do reload quite often due to the limited RAM. It can't run 2 apps side-by-side though. There are some other tablets out there that do offer multi-window and "true" multitasking.

Do you think the iPad Air will have true multitasking in a future update? Or the ram wouldn't allow it?

Thanks!

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you think the iPad Air will have true multitasking in a future update? Or the ram wouldn't allow it?

Thanks!

I don't think the Air would get it in a future update. Apple has to bump up the RAM included on the device if they were to add multi-window or a similar feature. :)

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Is RAM really the cause of the Safari tabs reloading issue on the iPad? Because it's weird how Safari is the only app I have that issue with, and ONLY on the iPad. My iPhone keeps tabs in memory for days on end sometimes, and the only apps I have issues with are Facebook apps, which are notorious for their bad memory usage anyway.

I don't think RAM is the issue that causes Safari tab reloading. I don't know what it is, but it can't be RAM, because that would plague ALL apps, not one.

Also, I don't see why 1 GB of RAM should be a detriment to Apple's introduction of "true" multi-window multitasking. Back when I was like 10 years old I had a computer with just 512 MB of RAM that could handle more apps simultaneously than can be fit on a tablet's screen. Worst-case scenario, the usage of multi-window would probably jettison all other apps from memory to make room for the new, more intensive usage.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Uh yeah, if it wasn't then apple wouldn't of put such little ram. Look at android , they have 2 gig ran on most of there smart phones but it doesn't run as smooth as iPhones

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I saw the title and immediately thought of this:

53602438.jpg

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Uh yeah, if it wasn't then apple wouldn't of put such little ram. Look at android , they have 2 gig ran on most of there smart phones but it doesn't run as smooth as iPhones

Essentially this. Apple devices don't need more than 1 GB of ram imo. My ipad air runs silky smooth with one gig, even my ipod touch runs fine with 0.5 gigs of ram. Android devices need at least 2 GB of ram to give smooth performance.

sko580

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
The thing that I have to give Apple credit for is it strict quality control on apps. This causes developers to be more disciplined in writing code for their apps. Therefore apps written for iOS has been optimized for this hardware.

Let's hope iOS 8 would bring us some of that multi-tasking.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll