iPad Newbie struggling with "Mail" app.

six_h

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Just browsing my gmail messages using the pre-installed "Mail" app and touched one of the icons in the top bar and an important message has vanished!

Tried to re-create my action on an unimportant message, touching the "Arrow Icon" again in the top bar which arcs upwards to the left and two options appear: 1) Archive, and below that: 2) Delete.

I cannot imagine that my finger could possibly have brushed the "Delete" option as it is too far below the arrow icon which I was tapping, and besides, I never saw the options the first time round, and they're hard to miss being red!

Can someone tell me if I can retrieve the message, and how to achieve that!!

Update:-
Just been told it might be archived...seems it may have been 'cos I've found it, or at least an other incarnation of it in the "AllMail" folder.....why do we need all these folders?
Also, is it possible to "close" the last message viewed before exiting the application as I find it disconcerting to have it automatically on view as soon as the mail app is re-opened.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just browsing my gmail messages using the pre-installed "Mail" app and touched one of the icons in the top bar and an important message has vanished!

Tried to re-create my action on an unimportant message, touching the "Arrow Icon" again in the top bar which arcs upwards to the left and two options appear: 1) Archive, and below that: 2) Delete.

I cannot imagine that my finger could possibly have brushed the "Delete" option as it is too far below the arrow icon which I was tapping, and besides, I never saw the options the first time round, and they're hard to miss being red!

Can someone tell me if I can retrieve the message, and how to achieve that!!

Off the top of my head, I would advise you to check your trash folder, deleted messages folder and/or archive folder, if applicable. If you have not deleted the message from any of those three folders, I doubt it is deleted. Also, login to your gmail online via a computer and see if it is clearly visible to you.

six_h

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Off the top of my head, I would advise you to check your trash folder, deleted messages folder and/or archive folder, if applicable. If you have not deleted the message from any of those three folders, I doubt it is deleted. Also, login to your gmail online via a computer and see if it is clearly visible to you.
lol ! that's just what I've done....gone back to the comfort blanket of windows!
As you can see, I found it....but how to copy it back without losing it from the "all mail" folder ?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
lol ! that's just what I've done....gone back to the comfort blanket of windows!
As you can see, I found it....but how to copy it back without losing it from the "all mail" folder ?

Copy it back to your inbox. I'm *assuming* you set up your gmail via the gmail setup on your iPhone. My gmail setup is via the Microsoft Exchange setup. Whatever change I make on one device gets synced automatically to my other devices. Anyway, I'm glad you found your email message...:)...Take care and enjoy the rest of your evening.

six_h

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Copy it back to your inbox. I'm *assuming* you set up your gmail via the gmail setup on your iPhone. My gmail setup is via the Microsoft Exchange setup. Whatever change I make on one device gets synced automatically to my other devices. Anyway, I'm glad you found your email message...:)...Take care and enjoy the rest of your evening.
Thanks for that!
No, I just received my new iPad and (typically) just started playing without reading any instructions!
It just "Found" my email...probably 'cos I used the gmail address to set up my Apple ID.
Can't afford an iPhone and an iMac too! so there is no synching.

six_h

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading the Tech Radar link kindly supplied by JustMe'd, and have a couple of questions.
.....Forgive my "Windows mentality", but the tip concerning double clicking the home button to show "running" app's confuses me, since everything and its dog appears to be "running"!
Does "running" mean the same as it does in Windows, where anything that is running is taking up memory, ie. it is either in use or it has not been "closed" or "exited" properly?

My other concern is that I looked at something in "settings" that I rather wish I hadn't!
"Diagnostics & Usage".!!
It lists several "App crashes" and one "Low Memory" report.....should these worry me, ('cos they do!) ?:confused:
After all, this iPad is not yet a full week old!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading the Tech Radar link kindly supplied by JustMe'd, and have a couple of questions.
.....Forgive my "Windows mentality", but the tip concerning double clicking the home button to show "running" app's confuses me, since everything and its dog appears to be "running"!
Does "running" mean the same as it does in Windows, where anything that is running is taking up memory, ie. it is either in use or it has not been "closed" or "exited" properly?
No, it does not. Those are a list of your recently used apps and technically ate dormant with a few exceptions. Mail, Twitter, Facebook, Maps, etcetera, depending on your settings, can e exceptions.

My other concern is that I looked at something in "settings" that I rather wish I hadn't!
"Diagnostics & Usage".!!
It lists several "App crashes" and one "Low Memory" report.....should these worry me, ('cos they do!) ?:confused:
After all, this iPad is not yet a full week old!
Unless you've noticed a problem with your device or its performance, you shouldn't really be alarmed, in my opinion. iOS 6 has a few quirks that need correcting. For instance, you may initiate an app and for no apparent reason, the app doesn't load and then you're immediately taken back to your home screen. A second attempt to load the app is successful. Although this may occur infrequently, it may be reported in the diagnostic & usage section.

six_h

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that JustMe'D, I did have problems with the "HDR3" app, it just crashed each time I opened it, so it's history now!
Also I've found the video tube app can be a bit reluctant!
I suppose those incidents are the subjects of the reports.
Just revisiting the tech radar site, it definitely says those icons are "running programmes".....a little confusing!
I'm grateful to you for calming my paranoia!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2