Wi-Fi problems with the new iPad

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I noticed something this morning, and wondering if you guys and gals could try it too and post your findings as well.

Put your iPad into landscape with the home button facing left. Hold it with the lower left corner in the palm of your hand. Does your wifi signal meter drop? Obviously don't do this in the same room where your router is. I can see how if you had a weak wifi signal and you did this, that it could cause a "death touch".

Nikki Sharif

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the new iPad 32GB wifi only & I was experiencing connectivity issues, so I took it to the Apple store last night & they gave me a brand new one. This morning when I turned on the new one I was still having issues so I called tech support & they had me reset my network settings & that seemed to do the trick. Haven't had any issues all day, hopefully it stays that way!!

Glenn#IM

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
WiFi

I live in an apartment. The walls, and flooring are reinforced concrete. I had the router in a back bedroom. I noticed a problem with dropped signal. I moved the router to the center of the apartment, and no more problems. Sometimes when you have a WiFi acting up, just resetting it will solve the problem. Most routers are 360 degree annntenna. If if is against a wall, most of your signal is going outside. Placing it more central in the middle of a room, and at least chest high will greatly improve your signal. My problem was location, not the iPad.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the router would work better for iPads etc if it is an N router? I don't think Apple supports wireless N but when I turned the wireless-N off on the router to make air printing work the signal seems to have gone down on our devices.

ros3ntan

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the router would work better for iPads etc if it is an N router? I don't think Apple supports wireless N but when I turned the wireless-N off on the router to make air printing work the signal seems to have gone down on our devices.

Yes if you have the G router. Ipad antenna works with N router. N router has better range than G.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Strangely enough the HP photosmart C310 printer just wouldn't work at all for airprint until I disabled the wireless N. Weird... maybe I'll have to fight with the printer to try and get airprint to work with the wireless N turned on.

drethos

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Idk after having the Xoom, play book, ipad2, Samsung g-tab, and finally the current iPad I'm finding the iPad 3 to be the most enjoyable. I have had no wifi, overheat, inability to charge, or other problem. In fact I've come under the impression that they be trolling.

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I got mine the following Monday after launch. I've had no problems up until today. Today my Wi-Fi has dropped out three times. Not sure if I should call Apple or wait.

MikeOM

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I heard on tech news today that there is an issue with the wifi iPads where some are having wifi issues. According to tech news today stores are ordered to give you a new iPad and then they send your old one to apple. I guess they want to figure out what is causing this. That being said I have had no problem with my wifi iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a 5.1 issue. One thing I've noticed is in my bedroom, where I'm on the fringe of my wifi coverage, that both my 4S and iPad 1 have much less, if any wifi signal, than they did before 5.1. Before 5.1 I always had a signal, albeit it was usually slow. Now I'm lucky if either remain connected. I've had my 4S replaced because it would drop both wifi and 3G pretty consistently after the 5.1 update. New one still drops wifi from time to time, but 3G has improved with the new phone.

I haven't really noticed any drops with my new iPad, but it still seems a little slower and has weaker signal than I think it should. Slower than my 4S and old iPad were before 5.1.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Every year there seems to be reports of Wi-Fi -- or wifi if you prefer -- problems with the new iPad. This year is no exception, with drops, inability to find networks, and slow speeds all being listed as causes for concern. A leaked AppleCare memo from 9to5Mac shows Apple might be capturing iPad 3's (taking them back and exchanging them) to troubleshoot.

Anyone had any Wi-Fi issues? Anyone taken their iPad back and gotten it exchanged? Is the wifi better now if so?

Did any trouble-shooting help? (reset, reboot, restore?)

I have had some bad luck with the new iPad, first one had a yellow patch on the screen, this was returned to Apple and I got a replacement, this was fine for a while then it kept disconnecting from my wifi, tried everything to sort it such as, forgetting network, rebooting router, restoring as new, but the problem remained, so this one got returned to Apple for a replacement. Touch wood, during the few days I've had the latest one, its worked flawlessly.

Really impressed though with the customer service I've received from Apple. I was in two minds about taking out the Apple Care, but I'm glad I did now, its pretty much paid for itself now, has I would have needed to pay ?30 per return for the Express Replacement service.

kritikal

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Also been having problems lately... kind of gets annoying
galleryvote.php

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought my wifi 64 gig model on the 5th of this month and ive used it a lot since i bought it here in the UK. I haven't experienced a problem with mine at all yet. Hope this problem doesn't pop up!! :eek:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77