Time for more discounts! Shop all the best Cyber Monday deals NOW

I was surprised to find this article written and published by android central:

“iOS 14 widgets make Android's look like an absolute embarrassment”

“Android has had home screen widgets for a decade, and they've been surpassed by iOS widgets in a single day. A single day.”

https://apple.news/AWiRfKLETT6q2EW2mLJSSJw

And they aren’t the only ones:

Spencerdl likes this.
    09-20-2020 10:31 AM

This thread made my already awesome day
    joemd60, Annie_M and iwoodland like this.
    09-20-2020 11:02 AM

This thread made my already awesome day
    You should read the Twitter thread.
    09-20-2020 11:15 AM
    Widgets on iOS are incredibly good. Smart Stack is a genius idea, not gonna lie. They are a game changer and I’m excited to see what app developers and Apple come up with in the future on this front.
    Tartarus, taz323 and Annie_M like this.
    09-20-2020 07:03 PM
    How do you get the google widget?!?!
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
    09-20-2020 07:44 PM
    Need the Google App or Google Chrome.
    parker5011 likes this.
    09-20-2020 08:34 PM
    Saw this earlier and have to agree. It took Apple long enough but they did a good job. Hopefully it’s just a start.
    09-21-2020 12:16 AM
    Just download Google on your device and edit your widget area to include the Google...

09-21-2020 02:27 AM
    LOL . Nice thread. Who would have ever thought Apple would finally add customization to their platform. It's about time .
    09-21-2020 02:30 AM

“Android has had home screen widgets for a decade, and they've been surpassed by iOS widgets in a single day. A single day.”
    Well....to be a little more accurate.....a single day, plus a decade.
    calebt likes this.
    09-21-2020 05:36 AM
    Even when I was using Android I was never big into using widgets, but I do like the Smart Stack.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-21-2020 05:49 AM
    Even when I was using Android I was never big into using widgets, but I do like the Smart Stack.
    I'm a fan of the Smart Stack widget as well.
    FFR likes this.
    09-21-2020 11:48 PM
    Just download Google on your device and edit your widget area to include the Google...
    [IMG=473x1024]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200921/b99cfaf16f0247e20a52871b220e0eed.jpg[/url]

[IMG=473x1024]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200921/87dabcac283ac84ed52fa2cdbce6fd7b.jpg[/url]
    I don’t see a lot of the widgets posted here. I like your battery level widget.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-22-2020 08:18 PM
    Well....to be a little more accurate.....a single day, plus a decade.
    You are incorrect, for the sake of accuracy.

If the author of the article was talking about widgets
    on the Home Screen launching, then yes you would be correct. It took apple more than a decade and a day to create the Apple Watch, refine it, and then take what was learned on watch os to iOS widgets on the Home Screen. Instead of just copying mac OS X widgets wholesale over to iOS, like what google did with android.

That’s where the criticism from android central, Dieter bohn of the verge, and many android users on Twitter stem from. The fact that android widgets have been stagnant for a very long time. Especially since android and google have had a decade headstart.

Now back to the inaccurate point you were trying to make.

I was surprised to find this article written and published by android central:

“iOS 14 widgets make Android's look like an absolute embarrassment”

“Android has had home screen widgets for a decade, and they've been surpassed by iOS widgets in a single day. A single day.”[
    The point made by android central was on iOS widgets on the Home Screen Surpassing androids implementation in a day, basically when it launched, not how long it took Apple to launch it.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    09-23-2020 02:03 AM
    You are incorrect, for the sake of accuracy.

If the author of the article was talking about widgets
    on the Home Screen launching, then yes you would be correct. It took apple more than a decade and a day to create the Apple Watch, refine it, and then take what was learned on watch os to iOS widgets on the Home Screen. Instead of just copying mac OS X widgets wholesale over to iOS, like what google did with android.

That’s where the criticism from android central, Dieter bohn of the verge, and many android users on Twitter stem from. The fact that android widgets have been stagnant for a very long time. Especially since android and google have had a decade headstart.

Now back to the inaccurate point you were trying to make.

The point made by android central was on iOS widgets on the Home Screen Surpassing androids implementation in a day, basically when it launched, not how long it took Apple to launch it.
    Well...1st of all, I tried to be a little ironic, not totally serious - and apparently failed.
    2ndly, I don't understand the correlation between Watch OS development and iOS widgets. My lack of insight, probably.
    Last, but not least, I don't understand in which way the new iOS widgets are supposed to be superior to Android's. Based on my somewhat outdated knowledge about Android widgets, they are:

free sizable (iOS 3 predefined sizes max)
    can be positioned anywhere on screen (iOS not entirely)
    updating dynamically (same as iOS)

iOS widgets may look nicer, but that is with many iOS things, it seems more effort is being spent on the design aspect of everything. Oh yes, and there are widget stacks, which Android can't do, afaik (not sure).

But I might not be up to date on all widget aspects on both platforms - so I'm happy to learn more about how iOS widgets surpassed Android's.
    aximtreo likes this.
    09-23-2020 09:55 AM
    I would like to further comment on this, after havind re-read the article.
    It focuses mainly on Google widgets "not being nice", "not looking" good etc.
    They also state that 3rd party widgets, sometimes do look better, are less "stagnant" than Google's.

All of this is mainly about looks, which is a developer thing.
    In case of Google, they not only have had widgets since a decade, but also thousands of 3rd party app developers, creating widgets.
    Apple never had that, until last week.
    Now they have it, and of the 15 or so widgets that were released initially, many look nice.
    All Android apps that I'm aware of, that were released in the last decade, came with a load of widgets to choose from.
    Some look great, some look pathetic.
    If Apple had widgets since a decade or so, I'm sure we would face a similar situation.

I appreciate Apple widgets looking nicer, and said so in my previous post, but I can't see any functional advantages over Android's implementation. That was/is my point.

If it's about looks, yes, iOS stock widgets may have surpassed Android's.
    If it's about what can be done with widgets, no (exception: stacks, maybe).

P.S. I do love the fact that we now have home screen widgets in iOS, and am sure more functionality will arrive. Just to be clear about that.
    09-23-2020 10:18 AM
    All of this is mainly about looks, which is a developer thing.
    In case of Google, they not only have had widgets since a decade, but also thousands of 3rd party app developers, creating widgets.
    Now they have it, and of the 15 or so widgets that were released initially, many look nice.
    All Android apps that I'm aware of, that were released in the last decade, came with a load of widgets to choose from.
    Some look great, some look pathetic.
    If Apple had widgets since a decade or so, I'm sure we would face a similar situation.
    FWIW, iOS has had widgets, including for third party apps, for quite a few years. They were just not able to be placed on any home screen - they were all placed on a special "Today" home screen.
    FFR and ladyc0524 like this.
    09-23-2020 12:42 PM
    FWIW, iOS has had widgets, including for third party apps, for quite a few years. They were just not able to be placed on any home screen - they were all placed on a special "Today" home screen.
    I've been aware of that of course.
    Didn't feel like having to mention this explicitly, as the entire thread is about the new iOS14 home screen widgets.
    09-23-2020 02:18 PM
    As with everything else Apple.
    “We’ll give you these but only here, and you can only do this with them”.

I like the new widgets but hope they continue to develop them and allow more customization in the future.
    09-23-2020 04:19 PM
    it’s so amazing to see widgets, fonts apps etc
    09-23-2020 05:04 PM
    it’s so amazing to see widgets, fonts apps etc
    I agree. Apple's version of customization...FINALLY.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-25-2020 12:20 PM
    Well...1st of all, I tried to be a little ironic, not totally serious - and apparently failed.
    2ndly, I don't understand the correlation between Watch OS development and iOS widgets. My lack of insight, probably.
    Quite so. Being accurate or inaccurate has very little to do with irony or sarcasm.

It’s rather simple really and the primary reason apple homescreen widgets make android widgets look dated.

Last, but not least, I don't understand in which way the new iOS widgets are supposed to be superior to Android's. Based on my somewhat outdated knowledge about Android widgets, they are:

free sizable (iOS 3 predefined sizes max)
    can be positioned anywhere on screen (iOS not entirely)
    updating dynamically (same as iOS).
    Well you should write to android central and find out, But you seem that you want to shift the topic from android widgets looking outdated to being superior due to positioning.

But frankly you should first read the article or browse the Twitter thread. Seems like you haven’t, you know if you really want to be accurate and not ironic.

Once more for accuracy’s sake; “iOS 14 widgets make Android's look like an absolute embarrassment

And frankly it does even with androids ability to “resize” the widgets and positioning .

iOS widgets do look nicer, but that is with many iOS things, Oh yes, and there are widget stacks, which Android can't do, afaik (not sure).
    That’s is basically the point of the article andTwitter thread.

You should really read the article or Twitter thread.

Can’t tell if your entire post was ironic or not, but it certainly was entertaining, thank you for that.

Exactly. The article and its position on Android’s dated widgets certainly seems to have struck a nerve.

I've been aware of that of course.
    Didn't feel like having to mention this explicitly, as the entire thread is about the new iOS14 home screen widgets.
    Of course

But for the sake of accuracy, that’s not what you posted. Perhaps you are being ironic again?

Apple has had widgets on Mac OS X way before android did.

It was called dashboard way back in 2005, you can look it up if you want. It also predates google buying Andy rubins blackberry knockoff, android.

Your not very accurate. But your posts certainly are entertaining.
    Last edited by FFR; 09-26-2020 at 03:02 AM.
    09-26-2020 02:29 AM
    Quite so. Being accurate or inaccurate has very little to do with irony or sarcasm.

It’s rather simple really and the primary reason apple homescreen widgets make android widgets look dated.

Well you should write to android central and find out, But you seem that you want to shift the topic from android widgets looking outdated to being superior due to positioning.

But frankly you should first read the article or browse the Twitter thread. Seems like you haven’t, you know if you really want to be accurate and not ironic.

Once more for accuracy’s sake; “iOS 14 widgets make Android's look like an absolute embarrassment

And frankly it does even with androids ability to “resize” the widgets and positioning .

That’s is basically the point of the article andTwitter thread.

You should really read the article or Twitter thread.

Can’t tell if your entire post was ironic or not, but it certainly was entertaining, thank you for that.

Exactly. The article and its position on Android’s dated widgets certainly seems to have struck a nerve.

Of course

But for the sake of accuracy, that’s not what you posted. Perhaps you are being ironic again?

Apple has had widgets on Mac OS X way before android did.

It was called dashboard way back in 2005, you can look it up if you want. It also predates google buying Andy rubins blackberry knockoff, android.

Your not very accurate. But your posts certainly are entertaining.
    well...OK.
    09-26-2020 06:06 AM
    well...OK.
    Indeed.
    09-26-2020 06:19 AM
    I really don’t understand this hurry to compare the two systems. Frankly.

I don’t think Android widgets are an embarrassment. It works really great for me. Tons of widgets, for tons of apps. Ok, they could evolve more in the last decade but, hey, it just works. That’s all we want, isn’t it?

At same time, I don’t think iOS widgets are better or worse. It’s simply impossible to compare, yet. Sure it looks more polished, but right now there isn’t many apps with widgets options yet, so they are pretty much useless for me. For now.

I would wait some more months to try to compare them. And even then knowing they are completely different animals.
    09-26-2020 10:46 AM
52 123