Messages iCloud Syncing - Something has to change!

oceanwest

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
A little back story: I was on a flight to visit a friend I was using the wifi on the plane and sent a message to my friend with an image but it was taking a long time to send I figured it was just the wifi on the plane and tried to delete just the ONE image message that was taking so long - however the the interface was not inherently clear, I deleted our entire transcript for the past year. - It was like a punch in the gut as we had some important and serious exchanges.

Unlike iPhoto which moves your images to a "trash folder" scheduled auto removes them after 40 days this simply is is not the case for messages. I had to resort to restoring my iPhone from the prior nights backup, and reset my AppleWatch and also all my ApplePay cards again.

So now with IOS 11 and message syncing with iCloud I am very fearful of how this will all work and I strongly believe that some controls must be put in to place before people loose all transcripts.

1. Apple must implement some trash can feature and ability to restore accidental deletions on device with out having to restore from backup.

2. When you decide to remove the entire transcript you must be required to enter your iCloud password since the action is destructive across all devices.

3. Clarity as to what keeping messages 'forever' means in the settings - does this supersede and persist over the on device deletion.

4. Swiping left on a Message from someone SHOULD NOT DELETE the transcript from all devices!! It should archive the conversation so that it can come back when ever you engage with the party again.

5. There should be some 'view message transcript' from the contacts app so you can review all messages, regardless if they have been 'archive/dismissed' from the messages.

5. What happens if you have a group thread does it delete the group thread or ALL transcripts from the individuals in the thread.

I appreciate any clarity on these items or hopefully collective voice to raise to ensure safeguards are implemented to ensure that we all have a pleasant experience once ios11 and high Sierra officially release..

oceanwest

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
According to Macrumors it looks like this feature is going back in to the oven..

- Messages in iCloud - Apple's iCloud Messages feature, which allows iMessages to be stored in iCloud to free up space on an iOS or Mac device, has been removed in iOS 11 beta 5. Apple says the feature will be re-released in a future update to iOS 11, suggesting there are no plans to add it back to the version of iOS 11 that will launch in September alongside new iOS devices. It's not clear why the iCloud Messages feature has been removed or exactly when it'll come back.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A little back story: I was on a flight to visit a friend I was using the wifi on the plane and sent a message to my friend with an image but it was taking a long time to send I figured it was just the wifi on the plane and tried to delete just the ONE image message that was taking so long - however the the interface was not inherently clear, I deleted our entire transcript for the past year. - It was like a punch in the gut as we had some important and serious exchanges.

Unlike iPhoto which moves your images to a "trash folder" scheduled auto removes them after 40 days this simply is is not the case for messages. I had to resort to restoring my iPhone from the prior nights backup, and reset my AppleWatch and also all my ApplePay cards again.

So now with IOS 11 and message syncing with iCloud I am very fearful of how this will all work and I strongly believe that some controls must be put in to place before people loose all transcripts.

1. Apple must implement some trash can feature and ability to restore accidental deletions on device with out having to restore from backup.

2. When you decide to remove the entire transcript you must be required to enter your iCloud password since the action is destructive across all devices.

3. Clarity as to what keeping messages 'forever' means in the settings - does this supersede and persist over the on device deletion.

4. Swiping left on a Message from someone SHOULD NOT DELETE the transcript from all devices!! It should archive the conversation so that it can come back when ever you engage with the party again.

5. There should be some 'view message transcript' from the contacts app so you can review all messages, regardless if they have been 'archive/dismissed' from the messages.

5. What happens if you have a group thread does it delete the group thread or ALL transcripts from the individuals in the thread.

I appreciate any clarity on these items or hopefully collective voice to raise to ensure safeguards are implemented to ensure that we all have a pleasant experience once ios11 and high Sierra officially release..

Feel free to list your suggestions / concerns via Apple’s Feedback option. You can use the link below.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p