Gmail sync killed all contacts photos

kiddori

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I enabled syncing with my Gmail account and then all my Gmail contacts photos disappeared. To test, I even added new ones through the browser on a desktop and after sync they got erased again. What the hell is going on? How do I get my iPhone to recognize 2-way sync when it comes to profile photos? It does it fine for data, why not photos?

kiddori

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I recently gave up on gmail since they were becoming less mobile friendly for anyone except android users.

What is it you find "less mobile friendly"?

And in this case, it seems more to be iOS's fault rather than Gmail. I'm quite bummed all my contacts photos have vanished.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I only sync my gmail (thru exchange)
My contacts sync via iCloud. I imported them a long time ago from google.
After iOS7 update, I lost about half of my contact photos
Go figure.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
What is it you find "less mobile friendly"?

And in this case, it seems more to be iOS's fault rather than Gmail. I'm quite bummed all my contacts photos have vanished.

I find their canceling exchange for free accounts not very mobile friendly.

kiddori

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I find their canceling exchange for free accounts not very mobile friendly.

They chose to stop licensing Exchange and focus on open standards....which Apple supposedly supports as well.

So it seems like the 2-way sync is not really up to par. At least in the case of contact photos, my iPhone overwrites Gmail. When I add a photo in Gmail, my iPhone deletes it. When I add a photo in my iPhone, it gets pushed to Gmail. Go figure! So I guess I either have to use iCloud for Contacts or make sure to add all the contacts photos through my phone. The problem is, even if I add it in my phone, it doesn't push the cropped version to Gmail. :-(