Is MyWi worth it? Owners opinions please

Nyan_Cat100

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I installed MyWi 6 trial because I'm looking to replace PDANet and so far I'm pretty impressed with it but I want to get an opinion from someone other than me to see if the $19.99 (?13 in my currency) to buy the tweak is worth the price on Cydia.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with iMore Forums App!!

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is MyWi worth it?

Not when you have a data plan that includes tethering and your device supports being a wifi hotspot without the jailbreak & jailbreak app...

Nyan_Cat100

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

Not when you have a data plan that includes tethering and your device supports being a wifi hotspot without the jailbreak & jailbreak app...

My carrier doesn't support Personal Hotspot so I don't have tethering included in my data plan

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Back in the day when I was jailbreaking - I had MyWi - it was functional. I can't decide if it would be worth it for you to shuck out the $20... only you can do that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Back in the day when I was jailbreaking - I had MyWi - it was functional. I can't decide if it would be worth it for you to shuck out the $20... only you can do that.

I agree. Besides, if it's something the OP will use often then it may be worth it to him, but if it'll be used sparingly, $20 a month is a tad expensive & unnecessary, in my opinion.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

I agree. Besides, if it's something the OP will use often then it may be worth it to him, but if it'll be used sparingly, $20 a month is a tad expensive & unnecessary, in my opinion.
It's not monthly... one time app buy... unless they've changed something since I last had a need for MyWi...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

It's not monthly... one time app buy... unless they've changed something since I last had a need for MyWi...

Oh, well heck, it still might be worth it, especially if the OP "needs" the Internet access. ... ;)

Nyan_Cat100

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

Well I think it is useful when I'm on the road and I feel that compared to pdanet, pdanet is a bit lacking in comparison

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I used MyWi a lot on my Jailbroken iPhones and it was definitely worth it to me over what AT&T was going to charge me each month for their tethering plan.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

It's worth it.... it's unlimited gigs for a one time fee of 20 bucks your carrier is charging you monthly for less

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

It's worth it.... it's unlimited gigs for a one time fee of 20 bucks your carrier is charging you monthly for less

Tethering on a carrier's plan comes from the data plan. Most of those aren't unlimited. Even with mywi, the data plan doesn't change. If you exceed your data allowance, you'll pay the extra.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Tethering on a carrier's plan comes from the data plan. Most of those aren't unlimited. Even with mywi, the data plan doesn't change. If you exceed your data allowance, you'll pay the extra.

When I had mywi with my 4s with sprint they didn't charge me extra fand I used it for hours on my labtop watching movies playing games everything

Nyan_Cat100

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site

But u can use it to share your iPhone's wifi connection with the computer

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

But u can use it to share your iPhone's wifi connection with the computer

I'm aware. Nothing in what I said suggested you couldn't. The comment I replied to suggested using mywi meant unlimited data usage. That's not true for the majority of iphone users without an unlimited data plan. I clarified for anyone that would read this and misinterpret his comments to mean mywi skirts data plans to offer unlimited data.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2