Do you ever wish for widgets?

SimonSage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've spent a fair amount of time on Android devices, and the one thing that I continually miss are home screen widgets. The notification center is nice and all, but I really wish iOS implemented a more immediate way of getting information at a glance. The icon grid is certainly simple and streamlined as is, and who knows how continually-updating widgets would effect battery life, but I would like to have the option, at least. Besides, this would open up a whole new content avenue for developers, especially if they've already put in the legwork for the Android versions of their apps.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Nope. You really have to ask who knows how continually updating widgets would affect battery life? How about more things to bog down the ram & processor with?

To me this is about as useful as wanting a half inch larger screen with less pixels.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Kinda. I'd still like a user-defined Today Screen option when the screen is locked - Notifications just doesn't cut it. Not brain surgery - Palm had it. BlackBerry has the option.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Only on those days when I think my battery is just draining way too slowly and I really need some way to suck the life out of my battery faster.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've spent a fair amount of time on Android devices, and the one thing that I continually miss are home screen widgets. The notification center is nice and all, but I really wish iOS implemented a more immediate way of getting information at a glance. The icon grid is certainly simple and streamlined as is, and who knows how continually-updating widgets would effect battery life, but I would like to have the option, at least. Besides, this would open up a whole new content avenue for developers, especially if they've already put in the legwork for the Android versions of their apps.
I've used many Android devices. I don't miss them. They're battery hogs.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, and widgets don't hurt battery life, that's a myth.

And people need to stop obsessing over battery life, if all you care about is having a phone that you only have to charge once a week you can buy a jitterbug, I'm always near a wall or a car charger, even when I'm not my 1 year, 8 month old iPhone 4 lasts all day all while running two homescreen widgets and being jailbroken.

It's about time Apple steps out of 2007.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and widgets don't hurt battery life, that's a myth.

And people need to stop obsessing over battery life, if all you care about is having a phone that you only have to charge once a week you can buy a jitterbug, I'm always near a wall or a car charger, even when I'm not my 1 year, 8 month old iPhone 4 lasts all day all while running two homescreen widgets and being jailbroken.

It's about time Apple steps out of 2007.

I couldn't agree with you more. Besides, widgets as far as I remember, were an option on the Androids, therefore a person has a " choice" as to whether or not they want to use them. If Apple is making a larger battery in the next iPhone, it should be able to accommodate widgets, IMO...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Reactions: redbeard

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't agree with you more. Besides, widgets as far as I remember, were an option on the Androids, therefore a person has a " choice" as to whether or not they want to use them. If Apple is making a larger battery in the next iPhone, it should be able to accommodate widgets, IMO...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Exactly, I think people forget that you can choose to turn off just about every feature the iPhone has, you can turn off MMS, Facetime, Push notifications, etc. I don't see why it wouldn't be any different with widgets if people didn't want to use them. Best of both worlds, everybody is happy!

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The only widgets I probably miss from my Droid X days was the calendar widget and social widget .I had the calendar set up to show the month and agenda view on one screen and the social widget take up another screen with FB and Twitter integrated.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yes, and widgets don't hurt battery life, that's a myth

:confused: Based on what empirical evidence? If that's the case, I am confused by the sheer volume of articles out there that recommend disabling widgets to save battery life. One of them illustrates the sheer differences between the concept of Android and iOS, as one article has 15 steps to take to save battery. Apple's view has consistently been that we shouldn't have to take 15 steps. For instance/starters:

Complete Guide to Maximizing Your Android Phone?s Battery Life - How-To Geek
Improve your Android device's battery life
Improve Your Android Phone's Battery Life | PCMag.com
How to Save Battery Power on an Android: 15 steps (with pictures)
Android AdvicesHow to Save Battery Life in Android Phones | Android Advices

I do agree, however, that the option to have some widgets would be cool, so long as I can turn them off to save battery. I guess Apple's version of widgets are the two we get with iOS 5 (stocks and weather, and those can be disabled).

The issue at hand, to me, is not whether widgets drain the battery - they just do, because they're running processes, fetching data over the network, and other functions, so by design, they will eat up battery. The issue is whether they belong on iOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: cardfan

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I do agree, however, that the option to have some widgets would be cool, so long as I can turn them off to save battery. I guess Apple's version of widgets are the two we get with iOS 5 (stocks and weather, and those can be disabled).

The issue at hand, to me, is not whether widgets drain the battery - they just do, because they're running processes, fetching data over the network, and other functions, so by design, they will eat up battery. The issue is whether they belong on iOS.

There are a lot of other battery draining features on the iPhone as well, such as; Push data services, WiFi, 3G, Location services, Bluetooth, ect.... Even though these features are said to drain the battery, people have a "choice" as to whether or not they want to use them. I believe widgets should be implemented on the next big iOS update along with a on/off toggle that gives customers the choice to use them or not. . If Apple left out everything that ever caused battery drain on their iOS devices we wouldn't have a lot of the nice features on our iPhones as we do now. As I said above, there are already rumors that the next iPhone is going to have a higher capacity battery, so is adding something like widgets really going to hurt anything at that point?

Reactions: redbeard

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If Apple left out everything that ever caused battery drain on their iOS devices we wouldn't have a lot of the nice features on our iPhones as we do now. As I said above, there are already rumors that the next iPhone is going to have a higher capacity battery, so is adding something like widgets really going to hurt anything at that point?

Sounds like we're saying the same thing. I would love to see opportunities to have widgets, but only if I have the flexibility to turn them on and off; and not all in, all out scenario, but individually, as we do with notifications.

Rumors are just that - but if LTE is coming to the next iPhone (also only a rumor), then it's pretty clear they will need a larger battery...that's what they did with the new iPad. That also explains why Apple is pushing the nano-SIM card.

The point I was addressing above was separate from this discussion, which was the claim that widgets don't drain the battery. Anyone that doesn't believe that just has his/her head in the sand.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2