iOS 5.1 download unavailable?

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
i decided to do a reset on my phone and of course the update pops right up after doing that. Sick of having to reset this GD phone just to make it work properly

LyndaP

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I've been completely unsuccessful updating my iPhone and iPad. When connected to iTunes I can't get past "Contacting the iphone/ipad update software server." If I try OTA it fails. I have made sure that my Lion is up-to-date as well as iTunes. I have no idea what the problem is. May have to call Apple.

jbuck387

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8, worked for my iPhone 4, but my iPad 2 still shows errors, any ideas?
ad14b536-1467-6610.jpg

breadmanjp

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Tried OTA unsuccessfully several times; all I get from iTunes is never-ending "Contacting the iPhone Update Server." Oh well, I'll try later tonight; it isn't like my iPhone and iPad don't still work just fine without this update...
I have been getting the same two things - OTA "Unable to Check for Update" for the last day and a half...iTunes says "Contacting the iPhone software update server...." and then nothing for minutes upon minutes...anybody else having these issues?...I'm in the Pgh PA area if that matters?

BigMACattack

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5.1

If it's the "can not connect to the update server" error, try changing the DNS server to 8.8.8.8. That worked for me.

Can't believe it worked but it did. After multiple failures trying to download with OTA and connected to iTunes for the past few days, I did what some have said to do with the DNS server 8.8.8.8 and what do you know...it's now downloading. No more connection errors! Thanks Gixxer07!

Last edited:

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I also cannot update on the my iPhone 4 or iPad 2.

Keep getting errors via OTA.

If its still not working by the middle of the week then I may have to contact apple

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk