IOS 5.0.1 newb question

caswellsam

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys / Gals,
I have been on android (hold the boo's) for about a year. Got bored so switched phones to the IPhone 4.
This is probably a straight no however here goes.

After googling the hell out of the topic I decided to ask you guys (most forums don't seem to have responsive people ??)

My IPhone 4 came via eBay with IOS 5.0.1 installed on it. Can people here explain if I can

1) back date this to IOS whatever to jailbreak as I don't have the Shsh blob (is this a baseband thing?)

2) I've since tried Cydia to jailbreak (with the aim of Semi tethering) however it flashes up "unknown error" after I put my handset in DFU mode ?

Finally if I get the above jailbreak working will I have access to the jailbreak apps and not have to re-install them every time it reboots? :confused:

I hope this makes sense !!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You can't downgrade... Although I don't understand why not...
However once you jailbreak, which you can easily, your tweaks and what nots stay until you remove them or do a restore

ovidiu1305

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Without shsh you cant download to older firware. Have you boot tethered, doesnt that get you off of your current state. If not restore the current firmware 5.0.1 and jailbreak again, then boot tethered.you will not loose anything if you turn off, you just have to boot tether for making them work

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
restore the current firmware 5.0.1 and jailbreak again, then boot tethered.you will not loose anything if you turn off, you just have to boot tether for making them work

This is Correct. Unless you have your SHSH blobs saved, which it sounds like you don't you can't downgrade your OS. Start fresh, restore your phone as new with 5.0.1, and do another jailbreak. You should be okay afther that. You can also download the semitethered tweak, which will still let you use the core options on your phone if you have to restart without a computer.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
You can use redsn0w to do a tethered jailbreak on 5.0.1, however you'll need to track down the ipsw file (the iOS firmware file) for 5.0 (or either of the 5.0.1 betas) to do it.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
What about jailbreaking 5.0.1 on iPhone 4 untethered? Is it pretty stable? I have heard mixed reviews on it, any specifics on it would be helpful!

i'm afraid any "reviews" you might have heard regarding an Untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4 on iOS 5.x.x are untrue. currently there is no such thing and nobody knows when

your guess is just as good as the next person

Reactions: donald.aleshire

caswellsam

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I managed to solve the issue by redownloading the IOS 5.0 software which seems to solve the problem .. I had an issue when I started playing with Cydia as it downloaded and then installed a load of essential updates that requires a reboot.
However it switched off and then got stuck on the apple logo. After a mild panic I managed to get the phone into DFU mode (took a while to get it right), although Redsnow just popped up with an "unknown error". I managed to restore the phone via ITunes in the end so no harm done.

Did i do anything wrong or was it just a case of bad luck and try again ?
I did select the IOS file before I tried to "just boot"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77