Major key to smooth install.... I think!

BFDBill

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I think in my novice opinion that the key to a succesful install of io5 is sync and back up then to down load the update and then do a restore. Don't select download and update. As i understand it downloading and restoring is am much cleaner install. I followed someone's post (which I can't find at the moment as I wanted to thank them) suggesting to do that and all went very smoothly. I didn't lose anything, all my settings are the same and I am a happy io5 user. Besides the notification thing I ranted about previously ;)
Just my $.02

Bill

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I will agree. That's what I did, and I also wonder how much being on a Mac vs a PC had to do with it.

epb

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree, this is what I did yesterday and it took me a couple of hours to do 2 iPads, compared to all day like some reported.

BFDBill

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I did my install on my PC. I have not made the jump to a Mac yet. But soon, I am trying to decide Mac or iPad? Which one first?

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, going with this - downloading now.... Maybe by time downloaded (40 mins left) someone will respond with how to proceed.

I read somewhere said to reset to factory settings then restore... Or should just select restore from right clicking on iphone in left column of iTunes???

BFDBill

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry everyone, we were out on a call. Yes, plug your phone in, sync and backup you phone then while you phone is plugged in, click check for updates, download the file. When it is done, select your phone again and click restore. It will ask you if you want to proceed because it will reset your phone to factory settings. Click yes. At that point it will install io5. When it is done it will ask you if you want to restore from back up. Click yes and select the last one you did. Then it's just a matter of following the on screen prompts.

Good luck!
Bill

Reactions: jmgilliam#IM

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry everyone, we were out on a call. Yes, plug your phone in, sync and backup you phone then while you phone is plugged in, click check for updates, download the file. When it is done, select your phone again and click restore. It will ask you if you want to proceed because it will reset your phone to factory settings. Click yes. At that point it will install io5. When it is done it will ask you if you want to restore from back up. Click yes and select the last one you did. Then it's just a matter of following the on screen prompts.

Good luck!
Bill

i'm on this step - "When it is done, select your phone again and click restore." do you select the "restore" that is in the middle of the screen? Cause when I right click on my phone in left column it only has "Restore from backup" ?

When I clicked the one in the middle it gives a box that has "Restore and Update" - Do I do that then when done, then click on left and select "restore from backup"

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If you hold Shift (or Option on a Mac) while clicking Restore, you will have the option of picking what ipsw to use; simply choose the one you downloaded.

Reactions: jmgilliam#IM

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
ok, this isn't good! I selected the restore button in the middle - then picked restore and update, now I have a blank iPhone with the verizon wireless info showing up in itunes to put in my phone #, billing zip code, etc...

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It says I have to call Verizon to activate - wtf... now i hit continue and its asking me to restore from backup... selecting latest backup I did before starting,,, keep fingers crossed... scared.:eek:

gemni73

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think in my novice opinion that the key to a succesful install of io5 is sync and back up then to down load the update and then do a restore. Don't select download and update. As i understand it downloading and restoring is am much cleaner install. I followed someone's post (which I can't find at the moment as I wanted to thank them) suggesting to do that and all went very smoothly. I didn't lose anything, all my settings are the same and I am a happy io5 user. Besides the notification thing I ranted about previously ;)
Just my $.02

Bill
this is what I have been telling people all day today...after learning from my own mistakes...I don't want anyone else to go through what I did but I am glad someone did because inwas able to find that help through google and reading posts. both my iPhone 4 and iPad are updated and good to go.

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine went fine - but now just doing my wife's and followed same steps exactly and now I'm to the Restore part and itunes is saying cannot restore because backup of xxxx iphone does not exist even though it says last backup at 10:37pm just a little while ago - I backed up and synced twice to make sure...

What now?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2