iOS 5 Findings, Issues, & Fixes

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5 does NOT need a pin.

I can't believe some of the problems that are going on here for a public release. I can't figure out if it's just user error or software errors.

woodman500#IM

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Strange issue. After trying to get it to update for almost 2-hours, it only restored partially. However it is currently restoring my music and videos. But, there are no name under my contacts. They are in iCloud, but not on my phone??? Any idea how to get these back???

Using an iPhone 3Gs

Gumby_Mac

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised at how long it took to "restore" the phone after iOS 5 was installed. It was as if everything (apps, videos, music) were being synced back, but over Wifi (which is enable by default, so maybe that's why the restore takes so long??).

Been playing with it for a few hours on my 3Gs. Got the camera app to lock up. I took a photo, then pressed the little snapshot icon of your last photo in the lower left corner and started browsing old photos. I pressed the blue camera icon in the bottom left to return to the camera to take another picture and the screen just went black. I can hit home and go back to the home screen or switch to another app but when I go back to the camera app, the screen is still black. I've double-tapped the screen and swiped just to make sure I'm not looking at a picture of nothing, but to no avail. Pressing volume up takes a picture (which does appear in the Photos app), but I still get no viewfinder/live preview in the Camera app.

Also, has anyone else noticed that you can't move the Newsstand app into a folder? Or is that just on a 3Gs. I tried to move it to my "Reading" folder where I keep Kindle and iBooks, but Newsstand wasn't having any of that!

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Also, has anyone else noticed that you can't move the Newsstand app into a folder? Or is that just on a 3Gs. I tried to move it to my "Reading" folder where I keep Kindle and iBooks, but Newsstand wasn't having any of that!

Yeah this was driving me crazy! I'm not using Newsstand and don't plan on doing so in the near future so was gonna put it in a folder where I keep all the native apps I don't use like Stocks, but it wouldn't let me! So it's just hanging out on my 2nd homescreen for the moment :rolleyes:

OC Pcar

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't move the Newsstand app into a folder also..I been having to hit sync a few time to make sure all my music got reinstalled

Gumby_Mac

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Been playing with it for a few hours on my 3Gs. Got the camera app to lock up. I took a photo, then pressed the little snapshot icon of your last photo in the lower left corner and started browsing old photos. I pressed the blue camera icon in the bottom left to return to the camera to take another picture and the screen just went black. I can hit home and go back to the home screen or switch to another app but when I go back to the camera app, the screen is still black. I've double-tapped the screen and swiped just to make sure I'm not looking at a picture of nothing, but to no avail. Pressing volume up takes a picture (which does appear in the Photos app), but I still get no viewfinder/live preview in the Camera app.

Got the camera working again. I just did a soft reset (power cycle) and it seems to be working. I'm not sure if I did a reset after the initial installation. That seems to fix most of my iOS woes usually.

How have most of you installed iOS 5? As a backup or setup as a new phone? I've heard setting up as a new phone makes it run better since you don't bring old app setting or iOS garbage but that sounds like hokum to me. I'd rather not set up all my contacts again or lose old messages.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I went from approx. 11.5 gb's available (settings-general-about-available) to 3.5 gb's after update. Update took about 8gb's of space on my iPhone !!

Anyone else have this issue?

edit: When connected to iTunes, 8.5 gb's is taken up as "other" (in yellow)

joshuamj

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
From the lock screen, when I double click the Home button and click the new camera icon it opens the camera just fine. When I try and click on the photos a screen appears saying, "Your iPhone is locked."

BUT, while on this screen, if you click the home button it takes you to the home screen. Thankfully, this doesn't happen if you have a passcode turned on.

It's pointless to "block" photos (or show this "Your iPhone is locked" screen... especially when hitting the home button and clicking "photos" will show them.

Anyone else try it?

OC Pcar

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I went from approx. 11.5 gb's available (settings-general-about-available) to 3.5 gb's after update. Update took about 8gb's of space on my iPhone !!

Anyone else have this issue?

edit: When connected to iTunes, 8.5 gb's is taken up as "other" (in yellow)

yes i had the same issue, but after hitting the sync button a few times it went back to what it was before minus the large yellow block

OC Pcar

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
From the lock screen, when I double click the Home button and click the new camera icon it opens the camera just fine. When I try and click on the photos a screen appears saying, "Your iPhone is locked."

BUT, while on this screen, if you click the home button it takes you to the home screen. Thankfully, this doesn't happen if you have a passcode turned on.

It's pointless to "block" photos (or show this "Your iPhone is locked" screen... especially when hitting the home button and clicking "photos" will show them.

Anyone else try it?

if you take pictures it will let you review the pictures taken but it wont let you review or see pics in your roll until you unlock

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Prior to update, I had my iPhone4 synced with my Google account (contacts & calendar). After iOS5 update / iCloud sync enabled, I see that I have duplicate entries for my contacts and contact info (birthdays etc) on my calendar. Also, contacts and calendar entries are duplicated on my Mac (iCal and address book).

Any suggestions on how to fix this??

edit: I guess one way would be to disable iCloud sync and just use Google for contacts and calendars . . . :(

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2