iOS 5 GM Usage statistics issue and battery drain

kevin738

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Curious and looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this. Perhaps you aren't aware. Take a look.

What I am experiencing is that the usage statistics are showing almost identical numbers for both standy by and usage. Here is the catch however...

When I turn off WiFi, all goes to normal. Usage time does not increase unless I am actually using it (like it should).

Has anyone else noticed this with the GM? Perhaps you are experiencing battery drain and can't locate the issue. Well, try this and give me some feedback.

I am 100% positive that it is Wifi giving the issue. With that being said, I have disabled and re-enabled everything in this iOS 5 that I can and have found that iCloud in the background is not doing it.

Any ideas on why having WiFi on and connected it would make the usage go up while in standby and therefore drain the battery. I have never had this issue.

By the way, I have tried setting up as new, I have also done it from a backup; there is no difference.

Give me some feedback. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or if I am the only one that WiFi is affecting this way.

Thanks.

Last edited:

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
One thing to think about with battery drain with ios5 vs ios4 is notification center. Its one more thing in the background and it uses more RAM. With notifications on and notification center doing its thing. Alerts, pop ups. Having the LED alert with texts or phone calls along with custom vibrations. I see it being normal and ios5 just won't be able to get a good battery life with Iphone4 or Iphone3GS.

Iphone4S has a little bit better battery specs than Iphone4 with a lower standby time, why? Because of ios5 and notification center, etc.

Iphone4 battery specs were measured with ios4 not ios5. Iphone4S was tested with ios5.

I don't think alot of people realized that in comparison of the 2 phones. They see the standby time lowered alot more with the 4S vs Iphone4 but didn't take into account the 4S is on ios5 and the 4 was on ios4 when battery specs came out.

Hope this helps. If you get a Iphone4S the battery life on ios5 will be much better.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Curious and looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this. Perhaps you aren't aware. Take a look.

What I am experiencing is that the usage statistics are showing almost identical numbers for both standy by and usage. Here is the catch however...

When I turn off WiFi, all goes to normal. Usage time does not increase unless I am actually using it (like it should).

Has anyone else noticed this with the GM? Perhaps you are experiencing battery drain and can't locate the issue. Well, try this and give me some feedback.

I am 100% positive that it is Wifi giving the issue. With that being said, I have disabled and re-enabled everything in this iOS 5 that I can and have found that iCloud in the background is not doing it.

Any ideas on why having WiFi on and connected it would make the usage go up while in standby and therefore drain the battery. I have never had this issue.

By the way, I have tried setting up as new, I have also done it from a backup; there is no difference.

Give me some feedback. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or if I am the only one that WiFi is affecting this way.

Thanks.

I had experienced this in several of the beta releases of iOS 5. I found it quite annoying. The fix that worked every time for me was to do a hard reboot (hold power and home buttons until the Apple logo appeared, then let the phone restart). It stopped the problem temporarily, but also cleared the usage/standby fields. Then charge plug the phone in until fully charged.

But randomly, it would happen again.

kevin738

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. I have no location reminders set. In fact, I have NO reminders set. I cleared them all when I was troubleshooting.

Fausty82 - I have tried the Hard Reset trick with the battery top off afterward however it would still drain the battery as well as show the usage statistics all out of whack (usage going up even though its not being used)

Thanks for the ideas though.

gregorypleau

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Battery on my iPhone 4 has been similar between iOS4 and iOS5.

Location based reminders do have a bit of an impact but not as much as push notifications. What I did notice was a huge hit when I enabled more iCloud functionality. Seems silly but what fixed that for me was to put the phone on WiFi and specifically invoke an iCloud backup. Took 8 hours but when it was done, I had a very happy iPhone with my normal battery again.

Notification Centre hasn't been a significant drain on my battery. More the push notifications that the apps are polling for, and I turned off "Local Weather" in the Weather Widget so Notification Centre wasn't firing up the GPS every time.

I'm also going to throw this one out as anecdotal info:

I went on a backcountry trip in July on iOS5 B5(? bit fuzzy on which beta) and put the phone in airplane mode. After 6 days of travel, using the camera and reading ebooks on there I still had 80% battery left.

tsviper

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

Same exact issue here. Have had the GM since it dropped last week and haven't had this issue until this morning. Hardy used phone and 3 hours later at 62%. Looked up the statistics and they were the same just like the OP. Did the hard reset so hopefully this will help. Maybe they will have a revised GM release tomorrow when it officially drops that will fix this.

Elargie

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
IOS 5 & WiFi draining iPhone Battery

I'm experiencing the same exact symptoms on all my iPhone devices. My iPad2 seems fine.

My wife and I both have an iPhone 4. My son has a 3GS. Even when not being used, it appears that WiFi is constantly doing something even when I have everything disabled for iCloud and WiFi sync with iTunes. Using my iPhone to troubleshoot, I have set it up as a new device and still get the same problem. I have also tried to restore from backup with no luck. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a way to have IOS 4 reinstalled. Right now, our phones are pretty much wire (power) bound. Since this is happening on all my iPhones, I'm very surprised more people haven't experienced this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77