Post Jailbreak for dummies

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Please don't take offense, because i'm the dummy. Here's the deal. I have an iPhone4 and a Mac. I can jailbreak, no problem. All my ringtones are already in my iTunes(pre jailbreak). Here's what i want to do. Change the e-mail sound, change the unlock sound(when i swipe open the phone to the right, and maybe change the theme(re-arrange the icons). That's it for now. Read all the threads, and saw the videos, and now i'm confused. I can't download Winscp to my Mac without filling out a form(name,address,company,etc.), but i think i need it to do what i want. Can i use iPhone Explorer instead of Winscp to accomplish my task? Jailbreaking will open up a world of possibilities for me, but i need to take baby steps in the beginning. Any help that i can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
O.K. I've got the phone jailbroken, cydia & openssh on phone and the dreaded CyberDuck working for me. Within CyberDuck, i've found all my custom made ringtones. The files all end with .m4r, but i know that they have to be changed before i put them into iTunes. I think it's .aiff. Can i change them all at once, or one at a time. I'm taking it one step at a time, but please tell me if i need "winterboard", or could i wait on that. Thanks for putting up with my slowness.

D2TSHR1439

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Before you even ssh, you will need to play you tones in itunes on your computer then convert them into .aiff. You will have to do it one at a time. Then you drag the aiff file from your itunes to your desktop and rename them from aiff to caf. After that is all complete, you open CyDu. Then go to your desktop on the computer side (or wherever your caf files are) and back all the way out to the base root on the phone side (just click the back folder (first folder in the menu usually with the arrow in it). Make sure you open the connect and select SFTP before you start moving stuff over. And I would name the standard files on the phone from .caf to .bak before you move anything as well.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Before you even ssh, you will need to play you tones in itunes on your computer then convert them into .aiff. You will have to do it one at a time. Then you drag the aiff file from your itunes to your desktop and rename them from aiff to caf. After that is all complete, you open CyDu. Then go to your desktop on the computer side (or wherever your caf files are) and back all the way out to the base root on the phone side (just click the back folder (first folder in the menu usually with the arrow in it). Make sure you open the connect and select SFTP before you start moving stuff over. And I would name the standard files on the phone from .caf to .bak before you move anything as well.

Starting playing around with iPhone Explorer, and found the file named new-mail.caf. That's one of the two that i want. Should i leave iPhone Explorer on my desktop and bring up iTunes, or use the Duck to find what i've already found?:confused:

D2TSHR1439

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I havent use iPhoneExpl so I cant answer that. But you want to name the new-mail.caf on there now to new-mail.bak and then rename the sound you want to new-mail.caf and drag it to your iPhone.

D2TSHR1439

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
When you are in CyDu, click the file on the left (computer) and hold and drag to the right side (phone). I dont know about the iPhoneExplorer though,.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Alright now! I've got it done. I ditched the Duck, expunged the Explorer, and downloaded ToneFX. After trying to figure it out for four hours, i used ToneFX and it works like a charm. My deep thanks to all you guys who stuck with me, and a special shout out to Alli.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes it's fun to do it all the geek way (heaven knows I've lost enough hours this way!), but sometimes it's just so much easier to use something like ToneFX.

Glad you found it useful.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77