Messaging app on the IPT?

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I'm a bit new to jailbreaking, but I've got a pretty good handle on things and I was playing around today (and almost bricked my iPod Touch 4G) with GV/SMS on my iPod and I ran into something a bit odd...at least to me.

I downloaded "SMS GV Extension" by mrzzheng. Sure enough, when I received a text to my Google Voice number, I got a popup saying I had received a new SMS and I proceeded to click on "View". This took me to the "Messages" app which, until then, I thought was absent from the iPod Touch. I was able to respond via the Messages app and it was received on the other end as having come from my GV number.

Intrigued, I pushed further and downloaded biteSMS (mostly for the quick reply feature). It was here that I ran into my first road block. As a stand alone messaging app, it performed the same as I described above with the stock app. However, when I tried to set biteSMS to take over as default, whenever I received a new SMS, Springboard crashed and went into Safe Mode, blah blah blah.

Then...because I have a problem...pushed even further and installed iRealQuickSMS by SpiritOfLogic. After making sure biteSMS was not set to default, I tested to see how this would work. However, upon receiving a new SMS...my entire device froze up and I had to do a full reset:(

So...I guess here are my questions:

1. Does the iPod Touch have a hidden Messaging app and if so, how can I make it appear?

2. Does anyone know (and I know it's probably a "no") how to make biteSMS play nice (as default) with the phantom stock Messaging app on the iPod Touch?

3. Why would iRealQuickSMS make my entire device crash if all it does is take SMS from the Messaging app (which evidently works fine) and make it pop up on my screen?

I realize, this is a lot for one thread...but each part relates to the last so I don't know how to split it up=/ Thanks to anyone who might know something!

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Lol I know, I have used GV Mobile+, the webapp, and the new official app and they're all great. Mostly this was for fun, but there was one thing I wanted from all this that none of the GV solutions offer and that's quick reply=/

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
iOS 5 has a native texting application, which works on all ios devices, So that's not the issue. Bitesms has been updated to work on ios5, and you said it was working originally, so I can only assume you got it from the official repo... Because The old version would crash on ios5 immediately upon opening... THAT being said bitesms as it is, is stable... So it might be an issue with the new google voice app... Delete that, setup your native message app, then download bitesms again... (you did pay $9.99 after all...) and you will be good to go

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
If you're asking if you can text from your iPod from jailbreaking, no.

You can however use iMessage on iOS 5, or use the app called "TextFree" from the AppStore. You will need wifi either way though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2