What the F did Saurik do to the new mobilesubstrate upgrade?!?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, I restored to the official firmware, and re-jailbroke with purplera1n. I REFUSE to use redsn0w based on how simple purplera1n is, and THUS FAR, I have not had so much as one single problem with purplera1n.

I THINK that the culprit app that was causing MY crashes was ToneFX. After I restored, rejailbroke, I tried installing it, and the second I hit "Restart Springboard", it put me back into safe mode, so I said the hell with that and deleted it. And everything seems to work fine now.

However - I do not think that the problems were due to a faulty jailbreak. So far, geohotz has delivered PERFECT solutions. And to prove my point, once I re-jailbroke, everything works like a dream.

Whereas with redsn0w, all I hear are problems, problems, problems. I guess thats what the Dev Team gets for releasing software that wasnt ready, just so they could say "Hey! We can do it too!", right after geohotz made them all look bad.

I used redsn0w to jailbreak my old 3G, and yes, it did work. But purplesn0w just frankly made the process so simple that a retarded child with ADHD could pull it off successfully.

I just dont understand what the hell went so wonky with the mobilesubstrate update. Im obviously not the only one who had problems with it, but the odd thing is that other people also had problems immediately after installing this update, all due to DIFFERENT conflicting packages!

Not to mention, ToneFX just updated their app to work with the 3G as of 2 days ago, so I don't know what the hell is going on. I tried to contact Saurik, but I havent heard anything from him yet.

I'll keep everyone posted if I do.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Truthfully, my 3G didn't encounter ANY problems runnig redsn0w. Most of these problems seem to be 3G related, so you just might be lucky enough to not have to worry about them....

penorwood

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I had the exact same problem and also suspect the problem was ToneFX. I just did a full recovery and will rejailbreak nut without ToneFx (even though it worked, everything worked until the mobile substrate update).

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I had this same issue yesterday. I think the app causing my problem is Winterboard. I did a full New Phone restore, re-jailbroke with purplera1n, installed Cydia, installed the MobileSubstrate stand alone install, rebooted and everything was fine. I installed a few other apps like 5-icon Dock, SBSettings, and ToneFX. Everything was working fine. Did a few respringing with SBSettings just to make sure. Then I tried Winterboard and BOOM!, Safe Mode, every time! Uninstalled Winterboard, and everything came up fine, no problems. Tried reinstalling MobileSubstraight stand alone, rebooting the phone, and then reinstalling Winterboard, and BOOM, safe mode. Uninstalled Winterboard and everything is fine.

So, I can install and run everything fine, EXCEPT Winterboard. Bummer.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Sounds pretty obvious to me that it's ToneFX.

Is there anyone here who's experiencing the problem that does not have ToneFX installed?

@Seppeku - I bet if you removed ToneFX, the installation of Winterboard wouldn't trigger SB crashes.

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Well, this is strange. So I was testing what Matt74 suggested and it's kinda working. :)

I uninstalled ToneFX, resprung, installed Winterboard, rebooted, and now the board comes up fine, BUT the Winterboard icon looks like ToneFX! :)

How do I fix that?

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Great...

I haven't had this problem in the past and I've gone through 3 restores and jailbreaks now.

Someone earlier asked what kind of phone... White 32Gb 3GS is what I have...

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, here's the deal - in order to change an icon, you would need the original Winterboard icon in *.png format on your computer, you would need to download "iPhone Browser", and you would need to do the following:

-Go into your iPhone using iPhone Browser, find the current winterboard icon "it should be named "winterboard.png".
-RENAME THAT to "anything.png". Now, take the original Winterboard icon from your CPU, rename that file to "winterboard.png" WHILE STILL ON YOUR CPU.
-Now, simply drag your ORIGINAL Winterboard icon into the directory in iPhone Browser where you renamed the first file to "anything.png".

Once you drag it, the "new" (original) Winterboard icon will take the place of the ToneFX/Winterboard icon you currently have mixed up on your phone.

I know I didn't go I to very much detail, but I'm typing from the road on my iPhone, so if you need further assistance, I can help more once I get home. Or, others can clarify what I meant. :)

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
That worked!

I was thinking the same thing when it happened, but when I Previewed the icon in the iPhoneBrowser, it looked right, so I didn't do anything with it.

So, right now, I just copied the Winterboard folder out of the phone onto my computer, opened the files and the icon looked right. Deleted the two icons on the phone and re-copied them over from my PC to the phone, resprung, and now everything looks right.

ToneFX, only on their Contact US Support site, is mentioning that the app doesn't work on 3GS now. Not on the front page, but a little deeper down when you want to send them an email!

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, figures. I really likes ToneFX too, it made everything so damned easy.

Have you ever actually TRIED to manually change your SMS notifiers? It's a ***** and a half and takes some time. The only upside is that when you changed it with ToneFX it was one click, but ALL 6 of your SMS notifiers were the same sound. If you update them all manually, you can have 6 different, CUSTOM SMS notifiers.

I also liked that ToneFX allowed me to take certain sounds from multiple different themes and use them all at once. I was thinking about taking and creating my own master mix-theme from all the others. That should be fun. But if I save it to my CPU, it would be a he'll of a lot easier than downloading each and every component seperately everytime I restore.

Sorry for ranting, just started thinking about other crap...

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I think something easier might be to create your own theme, put all your sounds that you want into the UISounds folder, then just select it with Winterboard. If the sounds are named right, it should work, yes?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well I'm not talking about just sounds, I'm talking everything. Different wallpaper from the ones on the lockscreen, multiple sounds from different themes, the badges from the silent hill theme, the signal bars, the sliders, battery themes, dialers, the verizon carrier logo, live weather icons, etc, etc.

Literally - one master theme to rule them all. So I can save it to my CPU, and simply put it back every time I restore. I just think it would save time is all.

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, someone needs to make one Master Theme to control everything and then just let us put whatever we want inside the right folders so we can totally customize the whole thing.

Master Template for all sounds and icons...

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, theorhetically, if Saurik could redesign some aspects of Winterboard to be more of a diverse filesystem, it SHOULD work. For example, you open up Cydia, and download a "Theme Elements" package - a package that just has the files needed for say, a battery theme, for example - then, you open up the "Master Winterboard" app, but instead of giving you only one section/list that enables hints, if it were set up like the "Settings" app, or even "ToneFX", where you click on a category, that should work just fine.

Yet another example:

You open up Winterboard, and then go into the Wallpaper category, and select "wallpaper x". Then you back out into the main section of 'Winterboard' where it lists the new categories. Now, you go into section for the battery theme you just downloaded, and enable that.

Long story short, the filesystem would have to look something like this:

Winterboard>Wallpapers
Winterboard>Battery Theme Elements
Winterboard>Lockscreen Wallpaper
Winterboard>UIsounds
Winterboard>Badges
Winterboard>Signal Bar Logos
Winterboard>Wifi Logos
Winterboard>Carrier Logos
Winterboard>Sliders
Winterboard>Dialers
Winterboard>Icon Sets

etc, etc.

THAT WAY, you would be able to control and enable/disable EVERYTHING and ALWAYS be able to pick and choose your custom theme.