iOS 9.3 sluggish

blogspotblog

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
It is becoming worse.

My old iPad 2 is becoming slower with the new update, making it almost unusable, crappy!

The Night Shift mode is not available on iPhone 4s and iPad 2, what a disappointment!

Is Apple trying to force me to buy the iPad Pro? This is very bad business practice!

I am restarting my iPad 2 after upgrade(due to the sluggishness).... guess what, it takes almost full 5 minutes to turn it back on... with white apple and black screen for 5 minutes, i am beginning to fear about apple software under Cook... it has becoming legendary, just don't work!

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
When was the iPad 2 released? Years ago wasn't it? I'm surprised they still allow updates on it. My iMac is two years old and it's barely usable lately, so I understand your feelings towards Apple though. That being said, expecting a device that old to run smoothly is asking for too much in opinion.

blogspotblog

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
When was the iPad 2 released? Years ago wasn't it? I'm surprised they still allow updates on it. My iMac is two years old and it's barely usable lately, so I understand your feelings towards Apple though. That being said, expecting a device that old to run smoothly is asking for too much in opinion.

The issue is why Apple provide upgrade knowing the machine will become sluggish?

I've been good with iOS7... then came the iOS8, which causing the sluggishness... and then we're cursed, upgrade after upgrade hoping for a solution... but it is becoming worst

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's to encourage you to update, which is a tad sleezy I will agree. Like you I feel Apple's OS has become too muddled lately with their updates, both iPhone and Mac.

I have a Macbook that, at nine years old, runs smoother than my iMac which I bought two years ago. It's sad really, but a bit of an eye opener to the reality that Apple is no longer worried about their products working well and instead worried about them working well enough. It's what happens when a company changes leadership I'm afraid.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The issue is why Apple provide upgrade knowing the machine will become sluggish?

I've been good with iOS7... then came the iOS8, which causing the sluggishness... and then we're cursed, upgrade after upgrade hoping for a solution... but it is becoming worst

That's going to be the case with any update going forward. They supposedly fixed it with 9.2.1 for older devices but that may not have been as old as the iPad 2. If I were you, I'd hold off on any future updates unless you hear it's going to make things better for those devices.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's be clear hear. No matter what smartphone you own today, at some point in the future it will become obsolete and support for it will eventually cease. The specs associated with your iPad 2 is outdated by today's standards. My current MacBook (early 2009 model) is running OS X El Capitan, and although it's usable, it doesn't run as smoothly as it did under OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. You shouldn't expect your iPad 2 to run under iOS 9.3 as it did with iOS 5 or 6. It's old tech.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nothing lasts forever and I personally think Apple does a good job trying to extend the life of older Apple devices. I definitely can't say that for other platforms.
Apple isn't forcing any one to buy new products, but Apple also can't become complacent and continue to cater to old tech or else it would never grow in the tech world. That's what happened to Blackberry and when they tried to catch up it was to late.

Last edited:

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
iOS 8 had seriously degraded the responsiveness of my iPad 2, iOS9 restored it, at least mostly. I just updated to 9.3 about an hour ago (my iPhone 6 lst night), so I haven't had time yet to determin how well it may or may not work.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It runs a bit sluggish on my iPhone 5 as well. But older devices will be that way.
OP, Try leaving about 25% of your iPad's storage free. This helps to not constrain the system. Also toggle on Reduce Motion in Accessibility.

9.3 runs on my 6s Plus great.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
It is becoming worse.

My old iPad 2 is becoming slower with the new update, making it almost unusable, crappy!

The Night Shift mode is not available on iPhone 4s and iPad 2, what a disappointment!

Is Apple trying to force me to buy the iPad Pro? This is very bad business practice!

I am restarting my iPad 2 after upgrade(due to the sluggishness).... guess what, it takes almost full 5 minutes to turn it back on... with white apple and black screen for 5 minutes, i am beginning to fear about apple software under Cook... it has becoming legendary, just don't work!

You can't expect all the new software features to be available on old devices like the iPad 2. Try doing a clean install and turning off some processor intensive features that are going to interfere with use. I have found doing a clean restore as new with older devices helps tremendously.

It would be a shame if Apple was never allowed to introduce new features, because people with older devices might be left behind. I think My MacBook Pro from late 2009 runs pretty good with the latest OS X and loads apps pretty quickly, but I don't expect to convert 1080P video while streaming Flash video and formatting an external hard drive all at once while surfing the net.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
You can't expect all the new software features to be available on old devices like the iPad 2. Try doing a clean install and turning off some processor intensive features that are going to interfere with use. I have found doing a clean restore as new with older devices helps tremendously.

This. ^

Devilsden

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

I'm confused, if your last two updates made your devise sluggish why are you continuing to update an older devise with the new OS? As with any operating system be it a PC or tablet, eventually your processor will become outdated and will cause the devise to slow down.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Apple is caught between a rock and a hard place here. No matter what they do, they lose.

Let's take a look at the Android world, shall we? The biggest complaint in the Android world is that the OEMs don't care. Your device is a year old? Silly user, new software is for new devices; we have that new shiny over there. Why don't you buy that? Don't want to buy that? Tough. We don't care about your year old device, we want you to buy a new device instead.

In the Apple world Apple supports most if not all of their older devices which is (if you ask me) far better than anything the Android world deals with. Does that mean that older devices are going to not run as well on newer versions of the software? Yes. Why? Because as with any software, the more it does the more processing power and RAM that said software is going to require; there's no getting around that.

Now to the "rock and a hard place" part. If Apple didn't update their older devices you guys would be screaming bloody murder over how Apple is abandoning your older devices just like people in the Android world do. On the other hand, people complain about how newer software slows their older devices down. A "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for Apple. No matter what Apple does, they can't win.

Let's put things into perspective here. The iPad 2 was released in March 2011 and the iPhone 5 was released in September 2012. That's positively ancient in terms of technology. Remember, technology moves quickly. There's a joke in the tech world... "It's obsolete the moment it comes off the assembly line." Why? Because there's always something better coming down the pipeline, always something faster.

Last edited:

tsparks1

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Apple is caught between a rock and a hard place here. No matter what they do, they lose.

Let's take a look at the Android world, shall we? The biggest complaint in the Android world is that the OEMs don't care. Your device is a year old? Silly user, new software is for new devices; we have that new shiny over there. Why don't you buy that? Don't want to buy that? Tough. We don't care about your year old device, we want you to buy a new device instead.

In the Apple world Apple supports most if not all of their older devices which is (if you ask me) far better than anything the Android world deals with. Does that mean that older devices are going to not run as well on newer versions of the software? Yes. Why? Because as with any software, the more it does the more processing power and RAM that said software is going to require; there's no getting around that.

Now to the "rock and a hard place" part. If Apple didn't update their older devices you guys would be screaming bloody murder over how Apple is abandoning your older devices just like people in the Android world do. On the other hand, people complain about how newer software slows their older devices down. A "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for Apple. No matter what Apple does, they can't win.

Let's put things into perspective here. The iPad 2 was released in March 2011 and the iPhone 5 was released in September 2012. That's positively ancient in terms of technology. Remember, technology moves quickly. There's a joke in the tech world... "It's obsolete the moment it comes off the assembly line." Why? Because there's always something better coming down the pipeline, always something faster.

Excellent post, you hit the nail squarely on the head.

Eillasa

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I have an Iphone 4s and a 5c. Both are running fine after the b updates.. no issues... crossing my fingers..lol. :)

Posted via the iMore App for Android

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
On the other hand, I did a clean install of iOS 9.3 on my iPad Mini that has the older A5 processor and the OS was quite zippy. It took Facebook 20 seconds to load but it didn't run bad. All my music apps like Nano Studio ran very well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On the other hand, I did a clean install of iOS 9.3 on my iPad Mini that has the older A5 processor and the OS was quite zippy. It took Facebook 20 seconds to load but it didn't run bad. All my music apps like Nano Studio ran very well.

I've been saying it for years. A clean install, though an inconvenience, can do wonders for your device...:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77