Some negative surprises after migrating to iOS8

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Last Week-end I decided to migrate my iPad Air from iOS7.1.2 to iOS8.1.1

I decided to be a late adopter, as I am using the iPad throughout the whole day, so cannot aford to have run-in issues. Thought that 8.1.1 was late enough to migrate while having the possibility to update some of the apps that I am using.

While the migration process (migration done via iTunes) went smoothly, it was only when starting to use iOS8 that I realized some problems (I know that some are known, but want to report on my experience). Up to know I have the following issues:

- inconsistent behaviour of "Multitasking gestures"
"Occasionally" multitasking gestures stop working (I suspect that it is after using Safari). Then it is required to use the button to close the app, open the preferences and swith off-on the "multigesture behaviour", to return back to normal (doing this now 3-4 times a day :(
The issue had been reported before 8.1.1 by other users to Apple, but is still not fixed.

- iPhoto - no longer supported
That was a big negative surprise!
I had been installing iPhoto, provided by Apple on the AppStore, since it was available (guess around iOS6). After migrating to iOS8 this wonderfull app, which was one of my most used, just started putting up a message that it is no longer supported in iOS8 :(
The native photo app still works but is much less performant

- iCloud issues
In the wake of migrating to iOS8 there was a step to migrate to iCloud drive. Since the migration, so sin?e a couple of days, I have (in the preferences panel) the "migration" running.
However in the meantime I have NO ACCESS to those files stored in the iCloud. This is especially bad for apps like iWriter which had all the documents stored on the iCloud - and which are since no longer accessible :(

Any tips for any of the issues above?

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks phreddyl - have it already installed.
What I found quite interesting in iPhoto was that you could easily use it for browsing (I'm synchronising with my Aperture library) and that on any photo you could view the EXIF info. Have in the meantime also installed PhotosInfoPro, for viewing the EXIF.

What I do not appreciate from Apple is that they prevent some of their software to work, just because you migrate to a more recent iOS (could understand that this happen to third party app developers when they are not made aware of upcoming changes, but Apple itself??)

Think it is related to their move to stop support for Aperture to make their yet to upcome photo application more attractive - but they should offer first of all continuity of equal quality - this just sounds to me like they are missing a strategy in this field, otherwise they would do anything to keep customers for the longer term - while with these moves they loose customers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iWriter or iA Writer? If the latter, you do have access to your iCloud documents via the app itself. Also, although I do not own an iPad Air, iOS 8.1.1 runs quite well on my iPad Mini without any problems. Have you tried a clean install?

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Indeed typo, should read iA Writer - nevertheless the problem is as described: NO access to the files from within the app - just tells me there are no files. On the other hand, if I go to Settings - General - Usage - Manage storage - iA Writer, then files are listed with their size, however the only operation I can do is delete them :(

Agree with giorgos_ps, iOS6 was the last compelling iOS that I have seen on iPad, ...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2