iOS 8 Wishlist

farb12

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I hope if the phone gets bigger they will allow us to position the icons anywhere on the screen. Or at least stack them from the bottom up.

Sent from my XT1060 using iMore Forums mobile app

OrbitualNoob

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Clear all button in notification center and task manager! Seriously, that would be great. Also, I would love being able to change the control center toggles.

Sent from my P6-U06 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A decent operating system would be nice for a change. I have over 300 apps and it takes me forever to find most of them so I can delete them, move them around, in folders, etc. The Find feature should let us know which page the app is on so we can quickly find it and do what we want with it. Also, being able to record our phone calls is a necessity for some of us. It's sad that we have to jailbreak our phones to get this feature. Developers keep telling me iOS does not allow it. Finally we need better shortcut controls, like being able to write more than one line, add time stamps, etc.

Can you use Spotlight Search to find apps? Just check only Applications.
uveja4a7.jpg

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to see Facebook and Twitter back in Notification Centre.

It made it super easy to update your status without opening the app

Clear all button in notification center and task manager! Seriously, that would be great. Also, I would love being able to change the control center toggles.

Sent from my P6-U06 using Tapatalk

Clearing the task manager is bad for your battery performance. Because everytime you clear it, it also clears the cache. And reopening an app takes a lot of battery juice to load it back into cache. It you do this too often you will see your battery drain much much faster then if you keep apps running in the task manager.

See also: http://www.overthought.org/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain

OrbitualNoob

May 2, 2014
Visit site

Clearing the task manager is bad for your battery performance. Because everytime you clear it, it also clears the cache. And reopening an app takes a lot of battery juice to load it back into cache. It you do this too often you will see your battery drain much much faster then if you keep apps running in the task manager.

See also: http://www.overthought.org/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain

But sometimes I don't need any app open at all for a long time (except for music, which I use a lot), which means being able to close all apps would be really nice.

Sent from a phone using an app.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I rather liked the Facebook/Twitter widgets that used to be in NC. Be nice if they could possibly re-introduce those in CC. Not counting in it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I rather liked the Facebook/Twitter widgets that used to be in NC. Be nice if they could possibly re-introduce those in CC. Not counting in it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I use both iOS and Android, but lately have been using Android more and more for 2 simple features that I hope come to iOS 8.

1. Quick Reply/Actionable Notifications
2. Third party keyboards.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just two simple little items on my iOS 8 wishlist:

1. Password framework

I want Apple to kill off all those godawful password apps once and for all. How? By combining TouchID and its A7+ "secure enclave" with iCloud Keychain to store and distribute passwords, and by allowing certain apps to access a new framework for creating, storing, and retrieving those passwords. I'm sick and tired of the login-to-password-app / copy-paste-username / copy-paste-password ritual.

I want TouchID login to password-protected sites in Safari, TouchID password creation for all email accounts in Mail, and TouchID login to all apps that require passwords. Zero typing to create passwords and zero migration time from one password app to another (because yes, password apps are the kings of user lock-in). The end user would never be aware of the passwords, they'd be very long and unguessable, and they could be generated and stored with just two touches: one tap on the "Yes" button of a "Create password?" action sheet, and a second tap on the TouchID sensor. Accessing secure sites, etc. would be done with a single tap on the "Yes" button of a "Log in to this site?" (or "... app?") action sheet.

Boom. Done. No more password apps. Game changer. Killer feature.

2. EasyPay for general retail

I've used EasyPay at my local Apple Store and I love it. So I think it's time Apple rolled out an EasyPay turnkey system for other retailers. There are what, 500 million iTunes accounts with credit cards? Time to direct all that purchasing power to one or two major retailers as a first step toward disrupting retail as we know it. The proof-of-concept has already been thoroughly tested at Apple Stores. It's ready to be deployed on a wide scale.

Security (shopper): TouchID + "secure enclave" are unhackable.
Security (retailer): Server-side sensor tag deactivation, not on the retail item itself.

Convenience (shopper): No need to flag down a sales clerk or wait in a point-of-sale line.
Convenience (retailer): Instant inventory database updates, clerks not tied down with check-out duty.

Revenue (retailer): Potential higher sales rates without clerk or point-of-sale bottlenecks.
Revenue (Apple): Potential revenue from each sale, a small portion of the retailers' EasyPay sales boost.

That's it. Just two little items on my iOS 8 wishlist.
(Well, OK, maybe not so little.)

Buck1127

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I use both iOS and Android, but lately have been using Android more and more for 2 simple features that I hope come to iOS 8.

1. Quick Reply/Actionable Notifications
2. Third party keyboards.

Agreed if Mac osx has it so should iphone

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
1) Notification LED - this is more hardware I guess but I love it and no the flash on the phone doesn't do anything close to a RGB nLED.

2) Better control over NC - simple things like swipe to delete notification instead of double tapping a tiny cross.

3) Better background tasks - iOS7 promised a world where it would magically learn habits and automatically have things read for you when you need it, in truth it needs developer work, its not magically and doesn't really work as it was sold too me.

4) Better Camera app - iOS camera is really nice, but it surely lacking in settings. Phone cameras are getting much more powerful and I really enjoy missing around with settings and think it would be an awesome feature. Maybe hide it behind a setting so it doesn't overwhelm normal users but gives people that actual understand more about camera some of the extra features they might want.

5) Never going to happen but some sort of Swiftkey integration.

6) Again won't happen but I would like to replace the default apps, I use a lot of google services for personal and professional life so it would make my life much easier.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've already posted this in a similar thread, but these are the things I'd like to see:

Notification Center

Lock screen widgets
3rd party devs allowed to create widgets
Gesture controlled (swipe to delete notifications)
Actionable notifications (reply to texts, etc) without leaving current app

Safari

Full screen mode on iPad
Extensions

Camera App

Photo rewind (like blackberry)
Photosphere feature (like android)
Selective focus
10 second video camera

Settings

Multi-windowed apps like samsung devices.*
Set default apps (calendar, SMS, browser, calculator, etc)
Ability to delete stock apps, download them from App Store if we want them back
User created gestures
Change system fonts, colors, theme, iMessage bubble colors
Guest Mode/multiple user login for iOS devices
Blackberry balance like work and home modes
Privacy Sheets to make permissions manageable | iMore
iOS 8 wants: Privacy Sheets to make permissions manageable | iMore

App Store

New App Store design. Easier to discover, and search for apps.
Remove useless "nearby" tab.*
New services tab to showcase spotify, Rdio (the like)

Spotlight+Siri

"Hello Siri" hot word from home screen*
Integrated (launch Siri from Spotlight search box)
Allow developers to build into Spotlight to search their apps
Allow Siri to control third party apps (like Rdio)
Music Tagging (Shazam, Soundhound)
Search by photo (tineye)
Have WebOS like ?Just Type? Functionality (Just Type: The Best Feature No One?s Stolen (Yet) | Pocketnow*)
Google Now like cards accessible from spotlight.*
Move spotlight back to the left of the first home screen.*
With Siri and Spotlight integrated serve the user google now style cards and information.*

PassBook

Support for credit/debt cards, transit passes, etc.
Support for NFC hardware/pay with iPhone option
Pay with Touch ID*

Automater for iOS

Create workflows
Same basic functions as the OS X version.

FaceTime

Group FaceTime
Screen sharing
integrated into iMessage like Google Hangouts

Photostream

Add method of approving photos/comments to photo stream
Backup ALL user photos like Google+'s auto backup
Photo stream as lock screen option*

Sharing Options

Allow devs to add their service to sharing menus when user grants them permission.
Users control which apps or services appear in the share menu.

iFiles

File system for iOS
Allow users to share, view, edit, create files on the device or iCloud.
Sync with iFiles on Mac (companion app)
Easy for developers to access, store, edit and create files on user?s behalf.
Easy for users to access and share files between apps

Maps

Buy TomTom
Street view
Allow users to control data layers
More data layers (transit, pollution, landforms, landmarks, etc)
Card-like interfaces for business (like new Google Maps)
Foursquare and Yelp integration for businesses

Apple Social Network

Anticipating iOS 7: Apple Gets Social
Web front (not iOS only)
Push notifications
Private messaging
Profile based network like Google+ or Facebook
Google+ like friends management
Pretty looking

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Rene's blog post at iOS 8 wish-list: What we'd love to see at WWDC 2014! | iMore has really whetted my appetite for iOS8. I would dearly love if the push notifications, battery shaming, privacy sheets and better inter-app communications were present in the next iteration of the OS.

This one blog post has me more fired up for the new OS that anything else that has come before. I will be glued to my screen at 6pm BST (10am PST) when the Keynote starts on Monday.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77