Contacts and iOS7

cwatson69

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I've got an iPhone 4 and just upgraded to iOS 7 today. Previously when I added a name and phone number to my contacts if I wanted to have it use the company name I would create the contact with out a person's name, and then save it. Then I would open the contact up and edit it adding the contact's first and last name. When I tried doing this after upgrading to iOS 7 it displays and sorts by the contact's name and not the company name. Anyone know how to get it to display by company name? I know that I can check the "company" box on my Mac contact. But I want to be able to do this on the iPhone.
Thanks,
Chuck

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After reading your post, I edited my "State Farm" contact, by adding the agent's first & last name. In my Contacts app, it still shows State Farm as the contact name like before, but it now shows the Agent's name underneath it.

Photo Sep 20, 10 38 18 PM.png

cwatson69

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
That's not the issue. It's an issue when you create a new entry. Try doing the same thing but create a new contact and see what happens.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
JMD,
How did you get the State Farm logo to appear?
TIA

Edit the contact and add the logo as the contact photo...

Snag the photo/logo... edit the contact... tap Add Photo... navigate to the saved photo... resize it to your liking... save the contact...

cwatson69

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Back to the original issue....

Has anyone out there seen what I am referring to with the new iOS 7 and creating company contacts?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Back to the original issue....

Has anyone out there seen what I am referring to with the new iOS 7 and creating company contacts?

There was NO checkbox or other way of forcing the Company name on iOS 6, either... I just checked on my daughter's non-updated phone... there are 3 boxes for name: First, Last and Company, just like in iOS 7.

cwatson69

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
There was NO checkbox or other way of forcing the Company name on iOS 6, either... I just checked on my daughter's non-updated phone... there are 3 boxes for name: First, Last and Company, just like in iOS 7.

The checkbox I was referring to was on my Mac computer. That is the only way I can get the contact to be displayed by the company name. As I stated in my original post, before iOS 7 I could create a contact with only the company name and their address and it would display in my "Contacts" under the company name. I could then open that contact back up and add the first and last name of the person and it would still be displayed with the company name. Now the only way I can get it to do this is to create the contact and sync it with my Mac and then check the checkbox under company in the "Contacts" program on my Mac.

BTSee

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how to get it to function the way it used for you, but you could try a workaround like entering a new contact with the first name State Farm Steve, and then whatever the last name is in the Last Name field.

This would allow you to remember them by their company, but still have their name as well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's not the issue. It's an issue when you create a new entry. Try doing the same thing but create a new contact and see what happens.

I did as you asked and created a "new" entry and I got the same results as you. The name superseded the company.