iOS 7 icons - Your opinions?

Balooz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
The entire iOS 7 is soo much better now! From icons, folder limitless icons, multiple windows(cards), it's all a great step! Plus being an ol' webOS user this is a much anticipated move!

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
agree we have to look at ios7 as a whole, not judging over screenshots only, I personally like them, I dont have a problem with colorful icons, but I totally understand why some people hate them..

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 7 icon your take

You guys do realize that the only purpose an icon serves is to tap on it to open an app. They're not there for you to admire. I guess I'm underestimating all those who sit and stare at their homescreens for long periods of time. Heck, my background is all black. If I wanted to see a picture, I'd open an app.

I understand your point, and agree with you that we shouldn't make mountains out of molehills, but the way ios works one is always going back to the home screen; its what you see when you turn it on, its what you see everytime you hit the home button, its what you see when you go into fast app switcher . . its a very prominent feature and often in front of the user. I agree with John Yester, I'm sure we will adapt and overcome, but personally I don't care for the look at all (and I'm glad to hear from those using the beta that it looks better in the context of daily use than out of context screen shots).

vakama94

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I really wanted to get costumed to the new icons...that is until I saw Twitterrific's new icon. I really don't want to criticize or anything but if icons are going to be THAT childish, then iOS is in serious trouble.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I had reservations about the icons but now that they are running on my phone, I dig them. Perhaps I don't put much stock in icons, but they really don't hold a ton of value with me. I'd be far more concerned if I couldn't get apps I wanted, or apps to work, as opposed to how they look. Some care a lot and I respect that but it's trivial to me.

If anything, I'm far more bothered that I'm still not 'allowed' to place apps wherever I like.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I've come to the realization that people who don't care about how the icons look are the same types who don't care about how their car looks, you know, those people driving around in cars that are dented up, haven't been washed in ten years, etc. I mean, who actually sits there and stares at their car all day? It's just basic transportation, why does it need to look good???

Let's get real here, up until recently one of the big arguments in favor of iOS over Android was iOS's "polish", and "design", that Android was a "work in progress", was "visually un-appealing", etc. Now that iOS has been stripped of every aspect of design and polish, in favor of what looks like an un-finished pencil sketch, suddenly design "doesn't matter", it's just a tool, as long as it works, who cares about aesthetics.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with changing one's mind, or not caring about good design, but there's also nothing wrong with being a fan of beautiful design, and being saddened when one of your all time favorite consumer products abandons what made it great, what made it an overnight legend, for some cheesy design fad.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I've come to the realization that people who don't care about how the icons look are the same types who don't care about how their car looks, you know, those people driving around in cars that are dented up, haven't been washed in ten years, etc. I mean, who actually sits there and stares at their car all day? It's just basic transportation, why does it need to look good???

Let's get real here, up until recently one of the big arguments in favor of iOS over Android was iOS's "polish", and "design", that Android was a "work in progress", was "visually un-appealing", etc. Now that iOS has been stripped of every aspect of design and polish, in favor of what looks like an un-finished pencil sketch, suddenly design "doesn't matter", it's just a tool, as long as it works, who cares about aesthetics.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with changing one's mind, or not caring about good design, but there's also nothing wrong with being a fan of beautiful design, and being saddened when one of your all time favorite consumer products abandons what made it great, what made it an overnight legend, for some cheesy design fad.

Give it a rest already. Go and buy an Android, they will be car sized soon and you will have a 1:1 comparison of dirt and scratches.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Give it a rest already. Go and buy an Android, they will be car sized soon and you will have a 1:1 comparison of dirt and scratches.

I guess I shouldn't have expected a serious response, too many immature children on this site..

And to add to that, I see this progression of intolerance towards any views that aren't just gushing with praise over iOS 7 getting abetted by the moderators here, I didn't want to bring this up, but, most forums are about having healthy discussions. On virtually every other forum I've been to over the years the moderators are mostly neutral, and are there to be the referee, to keep debates flowing, not to join in on the "shut up and leave" chorus. It's really sad to see the Forums on this website devolve into a place where no differing opinions are tolerated, as if Apple and it's products have been given God-like status. Apple tossed iOS into the wood chipper and gave us something barely recognizable other than the icon grid, it's surely going to cause quite an uproar, and spark lots of discussion, to see forum members posting things which on other boards would be cause for a warning, and get patted on the back by moderators is pretty bad. So on that note, this will be my last post on iOS 7, you all can go back to the gushing praise, and running off noobs who dare post anything critical. Makes me wonder how some people get through everyday life if you can't stand a different opinion than yours..

I've been here over 4 years, this place sure has changed.. I'll continue to discuss this on a forum where all views are welcomed:cool:

Last edited:

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I guess I shouldn't have expected a serious response, too many immature children on this site..

And to add to that, I see this progression of intolerance towards any views that aren't just gushing with praise over iOS 7 getting abetted by the moderators here, I didn't want to bring this up, but, most forums are about having healthy discussions. On virtually every other forum I've been to over the years the moderators are mostly neutral, and are there to be the referee, to keep debates flowing, not to join in on the "shut up and leave" chorus. It's really sad to see the Forums on this website devolve into a place where no differing opinions are tolerated, as if Apple and it's products have been given God-like status. Apple tossed iOS into the wood chipper and gave us something barely recognizable other than the icon grid, it's surely going to cause quite an uproar, and spark lots of discussion, to see forum members posting things which on other boards would be cause for a warning, and get patted on the back by moderators is pretty bad. So on that note, this will be my last post on iOS 7, you all can go back to the gushing praise, and running off noobs who dare post anything critical. Makes me wonder how some people get through everyday life if you can't stand a different opinion than yours..

I've been here over 4 years, this place sure has changed.. I'll continue to discuss this on a forum where all views are welcomed:cool:

Who is gushing praise on iOS 7? I have a few issues with it too but I don't repeat myself till I sound like a broken tape recorder.

Anyway, it is fine to critique iOS 7 but you've resorted to plain down bashing it...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

You do realize that it's subjective right? Most will probably love the redesign. Besides, you're ragging on unfinished software that isn't final yet..and..you haven't seen the devices it will be designed for which supposedly will be different colors. At least wait til you see the final product? That's something not mentioned enough. iOS 7 will be optimized for the iphone 5S. You haven't seen the 5S or any other new iOS 7 hardware.

Each year, there's a few things people harp on. Last year it was Maps. I think you were there yelling at the top of your lungs as well. I still don't care. I use navigon and I also knew google would have their own version available in an app. And yep, they do. Does it do any good to keep going on about Maps? Nope. Apple will make gradual improvements. Same with the iOS 7 design.

I remember the year the iphone 4 came out. I didn't like how it felt in hand. I preferred the iphone 3g/3gs form factor. Probably even now still. I hate the edges of the 4 and even the 5. But I accept it and move on and have acknowledged the benefits (one being that the all glass iphone 4 kept looking great where as my 3G was cracking at the edges). I do remember people thinking I was crazy on here for even suggesting it. The forums haven't changed. People seem to care more about how something looks. Or if it's different.

I remember when the app store first came out and the thought of being tied to the app store only for installing apps was just a lot to accept. Well, it's accepted now. Does anyone really care about sideloading apps anymore?

I don't remember listing icon designs as one of my top 10 reasons for having an iphone. Or colors. Or fonts used. Obviously this has affected you. I really don't care what the icons look like though. I use spotlight or the multitasking bar most of the time to launch apps. Shove them in folders if you care about your homescreen. I'm sure Apple will have some color themes going on in the fall. It's not enough to get upset about right now though.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

It gets really old, really fast. We all get it that you are unhappy. But it?s a beta release, it?s not done yet... and even if it were released today in the current state, it is what it is. You can complain, but until there is a jailbreak for iOS 7, you will be forced to choose between not upgrading to iOS 7 or upgrading to iOS 7 and living with what you see as its shortcomings.

The continued whining about it is incredibly annoying... be as unhappy about it as you want. Just stop telling us about it, please.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Since this thread is asking for "my opinions"...well I still think they suck. I agree with redbeard 100% (and I think he knows that as well :p). I hate the bright colors, I hate the lack of uniformity, I hate the look...there isn't a single good thing I can say about any of the icons. And cardfan, I highly doubt Apple will ever introduce "themes" for iOS...I'm still hoping that the final release of iOS 7 will have the option of a "dark" theme...but I'm not holding my breath.

Unlike many of the people on this forum, apparently, I actually USE my icons. That's how I open apps. I hit the Messages icon to open my texts, I hit Safari to surf the web, etc. It's just the way I use the phone. So for me I'm in contact with these icons all the time, and as it stands now the icons in iOS 7 really turn me off and I'll have to find a way around it, either by jailbreaking or remaining on iOS 6, or move to Android...where I can finally have a real weather widget on the homescreen lol.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Since this thread is asking for "my opinions"...well I still think they suck. I agree with redbeard 100% (and I think he knows that as well :p). I hate the bright colors, I hate the lack of uniformity, I hate the look...there isn't a single good thing I can say about any of the icons.

I'm curious if you are running iOS 7 beta or merely going off of pics and screenshots you have seen. The only reason I ask, is because I too felt the way you do about the colors until I actually had them on my phone. Now, I don't even notice. They blend right in with my other apps and actually I like them now. Just my experience, but was curious if you're running them on your phone too.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious if you are running iOS 7 beta or merely going off of pics and screenshots you have seen. The only reason I ask, is because I too felt the way you do about the colors until I actually had them on my phone. Now, I don't even notice. They blend right in with my other apps and actually I like them now. Just my experience, but was curious if you're running them on your phone too.

I read a MacWorld article this morning by Christa Mrgan about this very subject... and what it says makes so much sense. It ties into your comment, too, finn... Still images of iOS 7 do not do it justice... with the parallax effect and other nuances and subtleties of the design, what you see in real life vs what you see in still photos really are light years apart.

Cmatt1971

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I initially did not like the new icons, but after using iOS 7 betas I've started to like them more. You definitely have to use the iOS 7 to judge them, screenshots don't do them justice.

roaztb33f

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I think they're fine personally. I just want the third party apps to now jump on board for continuity sake. I hate having the flat Apple icons mixed with the other glossy icons. LOL! But its understandable seeing that we all have the latest "beta" software.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77