The color scheme and icon design are indeed different, but then again, didn't people want Apple to do something different? Well, they did. As for inconsistencies and such, I will withhold judgment until it is released as a finished product this fall. Other than that, I plan to make the best out of whatever iOS 7 brings.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 06-15-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    06-15-2013 11:26 AM
    He's not entirely wrong in saying that it's a mess.. Lot of inconsistencies.. That's very unlike Apple..
    Ok, there could be a very simple reason for the apparent inconsistencies.

First, Jony Ive got the job of designing the look/feel about 6-7 months ago. The interface that we all saw in the WWDC Keynote was fresh. So fresh, in fact, that there wasn’t even a version for any of the iPads available to show off. This is the first beta release, and, while the functionality is pretty stable for a first beta release, there is still a lot of work to do.

I have full confidence that Ive and his team will get it all sorted out... and as iOS 7 evolves through the beta process, we’ll see it come together. Patience, young grasshopper.
    06-15-2013 11:52 AM

First, Jony Ive got the job of designing the look/feel about 6-7 months ago. The interface that we all saw in the WWDC Keynote was fresh. So fresh, in fact, that there wasnt even a version for any of the iPads available to show off. This is the first beta release, and, while the functionality is pretty stable for a first beta release, there is still a lot of work to do.

I have full confidence that Ive and his team will get it all sorted out... and as iOS 7 evolves through the beta process, well see it come together. Patience, young grasshopper.
    He's a troll. Don't take him seriously.
    06-15-2013 12:06 PM

First, Jony Ive got the job of designing the look/feel about 6-7 months ago. The interface that we all saw in the WWDC Keynote was fresh. So fresh, in fact, that there wasnt even a version for any of the iPads available to show off. This is the first beta release, and, while the functionality is pretty stable for a first beta release, there is still a lot of work to do.

I have full confidence that Ive and his team will get it all sorted out... and as iOS 7 evolves through the beta process, well see it come together. Patience, young grasshopper.
    This is it really. It is a rather huge shift in UI this time as opposed to previously. People just need to sit back and watch it come together.
    06-15-2013 01:03 PM
    How do you know it's an "unholy mess"? Because it looks bad to you? It's still an apple product. I am sure it is still going to work just like they did before. Sure, it looks different. (Which I absolutely love) but that doesn't mean it's not going to work. Maybe you guys won't upgrade, but I will. That's for sure.
    Nope, not just because it looks bad to me, though it sure does.

But also because there is so much in there that's just, objectively speaking: Bad design.

(Part of how you percieve design is subjective: some people like blue, some people like pink. But there are also things in a design that can be judged objectively, and doesn't just depend on one persons opinion. If, for example: the background is so cluttered that you can't read what's in the foreground, that would objectively be a bad design choice, since it takes away from the functionality.)

I could list a couple of examples of what's bad in the new ios7. But instead here's an article that shows another reason why ios7 is worrying me.
    Designers Think Apple's New Flat iOS Look Is 'Ugly' and 'Harsh' and Blinding - Rebecca Greenfield - The Atlantic Wire
    Designers Think Apple's New Flat iOS Look Is 'Ugly' and 'Harsh' and Blinding

And that is because of WHERE much of the criticism is coming from: Designers and Apple fans (like me).
    It's not just here on imore that loyal Apple fans are up in arms over an ugly and very un-Apple like ios7. Look at macosnews.com or other places. There is a vocal minority everywhere that absolutely hates this new design, and that's something that should worry Apple, developers. And iPhone owners/fans alike.
    redbeard likes this.
    06-15-2013 01:21 PM
    Nope, not just because it looks bad to me, though it sure does.

But also because there is so much in there that's just, objectively speaking: Bad design.

(Part of how you percieve design is subjective: some people like blue, some people like pink. But there are also things in a design that can be judged objectively, and doesn't just depend on one persons opinion. If, for example: the background is so cluttered that you can't read what's in the foreground, that would objectively be a bad design choice, since it takes away from the functionality.)

I could list a couple of examples of what's bad in the new ios7. But instead here's an article that shows another reason why ios7 is worrying me.
    Designers Think Apple's New Flat iOS Look Is 'Ugly' and 'Harsh' and Blinding - Rebecca Greenfield - The Atlantic Wire
    Designers Think Apple's New Flat iOS Look Is 'Ugly' and 'Harsh' and Blinding

And that is because of WHERE much of the criticism is coming from: Designers and Apple fans (like me).
    It's not just here on imore that loyal Apple fans are up in arms over an ugly and very un-Apple like ios7. Look at macosnews.com or other places. There is a vocal minority everywhere that absolutely hates this new design, and that's something that should worry Apple, developers. And iPhone owners/fans alike.
    Some people view it as ugly whereas others think it's gorgeous. Some hate it while others love it. It is the same with the iPhone itself. Having said that, Apple should not be worried--not until the sales number significantly decreases. When the next iPhone becomes available for purchase, many of those same people who despise the look of iOS 7 will be among the people placing their orders. Apple will sell millions within minutes, but on the off chance that it doesn't, only then should Apple be worried. Besides, designers, like techies, represent a fraction of the people who buy Apple products.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 06-15-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Les74 and Fausty82 like this.
    06-15-2013 01:33 PM
    Some people view it as ugly whereas other think it's gorgeous. Some hate it while others love it. It is the same with the iPhone itself. Having said that, Apple should not be worried--not until the sales number significantly decreases. When the next iPhone becomes available for purchase, many of those same people who despise the look of iOS 7 will be among the people placing their orders. They will sell millions within minutes, but on the off chance that they don't, only then should Apple be worried. Besides, designers, like techies, represent a fraction of the people who buy Apple products.
    Well said and have a good day my friend !!! ☺
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    06-15-2013 01:42 PM
    Problem is it looks like it was inspired by this

And it's strange considering how so many people here said iOS needed no changes, was "perfect", and now they make a bad Windows 8 copy and every body loves it, I don't buy it, it looks like absolute ****.
    Premium1 likes this.
    06-15-2013 05:37 PM

And it's strange considering how so many people here said iOS needed no changes, was "perfect", and now they make a bad Windows 8 copy and every body loves it, I don't buy it, it looks like absolute ****.
    Then don't upgrade when it comes out. Don't ever buy another Apple product if your so displeased. Find something that pleases you... and quietly move on...
    06-15-2013 05:41 PM
    http://dreamfollow.com/lilypad/pictu...nbowbright.gif

You are totally entitled to your opinion but all modern operating systems are moving to the simplified look so if your looking for something with heavy textures those days are gone. This is way better than windows phone at least. Some parts like text bubbles and icons do need some work but overall it's very clean and streamlined. My personal opinion? I would have used some more shadows and better icons but overall it's a nice refresh.
    06-15-2013 06:16 PM
    I made the jump to the beta today and so far I'm fairly impressed. However, I still have doubts that it will remain fresh enough to stop me from jailbreaking for themes..
    06-15-2013 06:31 PM
    Just like blackberry, iPhone is taking a big step in their operating system.. Yes it's been a while since iOS have majorly improved on their os and now that they finally are.. I am impressed and can't wait
    06-15-2013 07:44 PM

I love that pic... What's wrong with that??? ☺☺☺
    Last edited by Guacho; 06-15-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    Fausty82 and swarlos like this.
    06-15-2013 07:46 PM
    Then don't upgrade when it comes out. Don't ever buy another Apple product if your so displeased. Find something that pleases you... and quietly move on...
    I still don't get this argument, unless someone agrees with everything Apple does they should just move on? What if I don't want to? I was expecting something great from Jony Ive, he's been hyped up for years as some kind of design God, when it became known he was in charge of iOS 7 the hype went through the roof.

And we see how that turned out, if we allow every forum to become a place where only praise of a company is allowed, even when they foul up, then what a boring place that will be..
    Premium1 likes this.
    06-17-2013 05:23 AM
    You are totally entitled to your opinion but all modern operating systems are moving to the simplified look so if your looking for something with heavy textures those days are gone. This is way better than windows phone at least. Some parts like text bubbles and icons do need some work but overall it's very clean and streamlined. My personal opinion? I would have used some more shadows and better icons but overall it's a nice refresh.
    Yea and it's a bad thing, windows phones look terrible, it's like a big race to the bottom, I want the beautiful designs to come back.
    Premium1 likes this.
    06-17-2013 05:24 AM
    I feel so so about it. I like the change but the what seems like rushed effort(which hopefully will be fixed come official launch) with the icons that some to seem to not flow with the rest seems to be un-apple like IMO.
    redbeard likes this.
    06-17-2013 05:35 AM
    Man tough crowd. Not sure why these forums are getting as bad as the bgr site with anytime someone has any displeasure with apple it's blah don't buy it blah blah. Ever think those people want IOS just don't like the new OS? These are forums where that type of discussion should be welcomed, especially from a mod. And btw I welcome the new look but can see why some people do not.
    Guacho and Racer X like this.
    06-17-2013 05:38 AM

The same way people said apple didn't need to make a larger iPhone or smaller iPad because both were perfect size, and then loved when they did it anyway.
    06-17-2013 05:39 AM
    Seriously guys ignore haters. They will never stop hating. They suck. Ios7 is pure class. I really DNT think Samsung or any other can make such high class UI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-17-2013 09:21 AM
    Man tough crowd. Not sure why these forums are getting as bad as the bgr site with anytime someone has any displeasure with apple it's blah don't buy it blah blah. Ever think those people want IOS just don't like the new OS? These are forums where that type of discussion should be welcomed, especially from a mod. And btw I welcome the new look but can see why some people do not.
    I agree. As someone who is relatively new to this forum (and to iPhone), I'm disappointed with the behavior of some of the mods here. Looks like dissenting opinions are not welcome.
    Premium1, Racer X and grujaz10 like this.
    06-17-2013 09:55 AM
    I agree. As someone who is relatively new to this forum (and to iPhone), I'm disappointed with the behavior of some of the mods here. Looks like dissenting opinions are not welcome.
    The mods are just following orders from the high command.

The issue with some of the dissenting voices is that regardless of what Apple does, they always voice their displeasure. The current beta release of iOS 7 is no different. The expression "haters gotta hate" applies here. Some of these folks would complain if you handed them a crisp, new $100 bill because it wasn’t five $20 bills.

The key to all of this is that it’s a the first beta release of a new mobile operating system. Some kvetched and moaned that iOS was getting stale, so Apple changed it up. Now, let’s all just give Apple and its designers a chance to sort it all out...
    Last edited by Fausty82; 06-17-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    kch50428, Alli and Les74 like this.
    06-17-2013 10:47 AM
    The mods are just following orders from the high command.

The issue with some of the dissenting voices is that regardless of what Apple does, they always voice their displeasure. The current beta release of iOS 7 is no different. The expression "haters gotta hate" applies here. Some of these folks would complain if you handed them a crisp, new $100 bill because it wasnt five $20 bills.

The key to all of this is that its a the first beta release of a new mobile operating system. They kvetched and moaned that iOS was getting stale, so they changed it up. Now, lets all just give Apple and its designers a chance to sort it all out...
    Sure, there are haters out there. Sure, there are those who are never satisfied. But there are also those who are genuinely disappointed and who wanted better. I'm not saying that I'm any of these people, but I respect that everyone has a right to their opinion and should be able to voice it. Of course, others have the right to blast them for it, but when mods get in here with that "don't let the door hit you on the way out" mentality, that's where I have a problem.
    Premium1 and redbeard like this.
    06-17-2013 11:02 AM
    Sure, there are haters out there. Sure, there are those who are never satisfied. But there are also those who are genuinely disappointed and who wanted better. I'm not saying that I'm any of these people, but I respect that everyone has a right to their opinion and should be able to voice it. Of course, others have the right to blast them for it, but when mods get in here with that "don't let the door hit you on the way out" mentality, that's where I have a problem.
    Again, this is the FIRST release of a new design of iOS... give it a few iterations before blasting it completely.

And regarding the mods, I’ve been around here a long time and have yet to see any overbearing action by the mods. Remember the golden rule: the one with the gold makes the rules. There are plenty of other forums around the internet to discuss Apple and their products. I don’t want to see anyone leave, but if one has an issue with how this place (or any other, for that matter), go find one that works for you. It’s really not that hard, and life's too short to constantly be fighting with anyone.

Just my view from the outside.
    06-17-2013 11:16 AM
    Again, this is the FIRST release of a new design of iOS... give it a few iterations before blasting it completely.

And regarding the mods, Ive been around here a long time and have yet to see any overbearing action by the mods. Remember the golden rule: the one with the gold makes the rules. There are plenty of other forums around the internet to discuss Apple and their products. I dont want to see anyone leave, but if one has an issue with how this place (or any other, for that matter), go find one that works for you. Its really not that hard, and life's too short to constantly be fighting with anyone.

Just my view from the outside.
    No worries here. Just sharing my thoughts. If visiting the forums becomes unenjoyable, trust me, I'll find another place to land.
    Premium1 likes this.
    06-17-2013 11:47 AM
    Totally agree, we're not talking about people who's never satisfied no matter what, we're referring to forum members who seem to hate when a legit negative comment or point of view is posted, I particularly love the new IOS but I have no problem at all with someone saying that it sucks, even without reason, of course you have to watch for a pattern when someone is just trolling all the time, but I HAVE seen a few getting extremely defensive when someone disagrees strongly with them.
    There are haters on both sides and we need to be careful with that.
    Last edited by Guacho; 06-17-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    Racer X and Premium1 like this.
    06-17-2013 11:52 AM
65 123