4s Wiped Itself To Factory

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
This is a first in all my years of using iOS products. I was using my 4s last night up until about 11pm. I plugged into the charger and woke this morning around 5am to find it at the Setup Screen. So at some point between 11pm and 5am my 4s restored itself to factory settings. It is running 7.1.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It was running fine since 7 and then since 7.1. Last app I installed was WordPress about 4 days ago.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I had that happen with my wife's iPad 2 ... When purchased new it was on iOS 5.x.x ... Woke up one morning maybe a month later to 'set up' screens for iOS 6 ..... On its own it had accepted and downloaded and actioned the update. 4 devices in the house, never have seen that before or since !! David

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So it has happened before and I am not crazy! Thank You!

Can you think back as to what you did prior to it resetting itself?

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I guess it does happen, although not often. And I thought I was the crazy one. At the time I was a total newbie to Apple products
and not familiar with their protocols, so took it in stride as being 'normal'... Only after getting my iPad mini and later, a pair of iPhones (4S) I realized that this was updating in a very strange way !!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I cannot see this happen without interaction started by the user in order for something especially like this to just reset on it's own.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You would think that was the case? and yet it happened. Unless my sleep resetting is selective enough to choose an iOS 7 device over 3 iOS 6 devices. Better get a sleep study done to prevent future occurrences.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Not a chance. It happened after 11pm or so while plugged into charger. There is nothing that intervened with the physical device.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
very very odd... Seems like a bad 7.1 load...

Even to wipe the device you would need to enter iCloud password, etc to reset the device.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had something similar happen during the iOS 7.0 betas, my iPod touch downloaded an OTA update notified me to install it but I selected cancel. But when I turned it off and back on one time while I was connected to wifi it got to the lockscreen then all of a sudden it restarted and started to install the update on its own. It was very annoying. But I found out that as long as the OTA updated is downloaded and the iOS device reboots while connected to wifi OR cellular data it will install the update once it starts up.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77