Notification Sounds

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
There's plenty of apps to download ringtones and turn songs into ringtones. Is there a way I can take a sound and make it a notification sound? My custom ringtones don't show up when I go to select a new notification sound.

Does anybody know how to do this?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
if you mean can you designate a specific tone for a specific app, then no. not stock, only jailbreak

welcome to the world of Apple

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
It's actually pretty easy, the caveat being that you HAVE to use iTunes to do it. This method is also completed on Windows 7.
1: Using iTunes, convert your sound file to a .aac format.
2. Right click on your new .aac file and select "Show in Windows Explorer", and locate your file.
3. Rename your file, which should be in a .m4a format, changing the extension to .m4r. You will get a warning popup letting you know that changing an extension can make a file unusable. Click OK.
4. Double click your new .m4r file so that it will play in iTunes.
5. Open your "Tones" folder in iTunes and your custom ringtone should be there.
6. Plug in your phone and after iTunes recognizes it, click on the device to open the sync dialogs.
7. Click on the "Tones" header, and you should see your ringtone listed (if you have only 1 made, then there will only be 1 listed.)
8. Make sure there is a check mark in the box, and sync your phone.

You tone should now be listed under Settings|Sounds on your device, and you can assign it as your would with any ringtone.

In full disclosure, I got these instructions somewhere in the forums, but lost the link. Full credit goes to whoever posted these the first time - I wish I could credit them appropriately.

Hope this helps...

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Like not even to change the mail tone to a custom one isn't even possible?

yes, this is possible. just go to Settings > Sounds > New Mail > (select desired tone)

or for specific tones for specific email accounts

go to Settings > Notifications > Mail > (Desired email account) > New Mail Sound > (select desired tone)

as far as setting a tone for Facebook, Twitter, ESPN Scorecenter etc. - no go while stock

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That's how I am doing it but when I go to mail to pick a sound none of the ones I add show up there. They do when I go to ringtones but not to select a notification sound.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
oh i see. i believe it has something to do with the length of the tone

i normally go to Zedge (via computer) to find some pre determined tones for SMS/Email

make sure to Select Your Device in the upper right corner then go to Ringtones > Message Tones > (save desired tone to your computer then drag & drop into your iTunes - Ringtones folder & sync with your device)

it should show up

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Audiko is another site that has ringtones and notification sounds. Download them on your PC then transfer thru iTunes. If you're jailbroken then audiko has an app in Cydia called unlimtones that let's you save right on your device.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I think it has something to do with the app I'm using to convert songs to ringtones. I got an app called "ringtones" and I'm able to set sounds from that as notifications but not from the app I convert songs from

Blackfeet

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Ringtones have to be the .m4r format or they won't work. The only way I have found to create them from scratch or convert a .mp3 or .wav it the method I outlined above.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have another question maybe you can help me with. I bought pages for my iPhone and iPad. I see how to transfer pages documents to my computer. I cannot figure out how to sync my documents from my iPad to my iPhone, iCloud is activated on both devices. Is there also a way to transfer a document from my windows computer to my iPhone to keep working on it?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2