iOS finally starting to become rival to PS3 and XBOX

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You are mixing 2 different bodies of gaming into one. Console and mobile are completely different entities. The decline of consoles has NOTHING to do with iPhone sales. Just because it can play games doesn't mean it can compete with a full pledge console such as the 360, PS3, or Wii. Next thing you're going to say is that laptop sales are declining because iPhone's have safari browsers...

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Truly rivals it how? Graphics? Nope. Controls? Nope. Sound? Nope. Network stack? Nope. Massive open sandbox abilities? Nope. Perhaps you mean gameplay itself. I do agree that they are getting better in gameplay ability itself, but I personally look at more than that. Of course now you say that it needs to catch up to the PSP (which is 8 years old), not the consoles themselves.

I'm not saying it's better, I'm praising iOS for bringing games that aren't just casual any more. Gaming on the iPhone used to be so simple, I mean, you just spent time doing the same thing over and over again. Draw Something. Words with Friends. Mega Jump. Cut the Rope. Angry Birds.

Not anymore. HALO. Spider Man. Madden. Final Fantasy. World of Warcraft.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There is no legitimate rivalry between these companies yet...the ONLY arena in which iOS is beginning to rival anything is handheld, which includes the Vita, PSP and DS. Is it starting to show it's face in those areas? Sure! But it has a LOONNNNNG way to go before it takes the throne from Nintendo in the hand held gaming world.

There is no relevance between iOS gaming and the Xbox 360 or PS3 as far as competition goes...none.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There is no legitimate rivalry between these companies yet...the ONLY arena in which iOS is beginning to rival anything is handheld, which includes the Vita, PSP and DS. Is it starting to show it's face in those areas? Sure! But it has a LOONNNNNG way to go before it takes the throne from Nintendo in the hand held gaming world.

There is no relevance between iOS gaming and the Xbox 360 or PS3 as far as competition goes...none.

I agree and when the new consoles are released in 2013 (at least the new Xbox) it will make that gap even larger between mobile devices and consoles.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Games on iOS devices have replaced gaming consoles for me. I was never a "big" gamer, but I did have an XBOX 360. I sold it because I didn't really want to play it anymore. The games were too expensive for me. I didn't like renting games because I never remembered to bring them back. Most of the time when I can play video games, I'm not at home. It is cheaper, less time consuming, and more convenient. I know that the quality of the games don't match that of consoles, but I will gladly pay $5 for a game of good quality that I can play on both my iPad and iPhone than to pay $60 for a game that I only can play at home and need a subscription to play online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Games on iOS devices have replaced gaming consoles for me. I was never a "big" gamer, but I did have an XBOX 360. I sold it because I didn't really want to play it anymore. The games were too expensive for me. I didn't like renting games because I never remembered to bring them back. Most of the time when I can play video games, I'm not at home. It is cheaper, less time consuming, and more convenient. I know that the quality of the games don't match that of consoles, but I will gladly pay $5 for a game of good quality that I can play on both my iPad and iPhone than to pay $60 for a game that I only can play at home and need a subscription to play online.

For any casual gamer your scenario is probably common but for those of us who are more into games, no mobile device will replace the console. Not anytime soon that is.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

PC/Mac games also are up there with consoles.

Infinity Blade is awesome but it's no Diablo 3. Just saying.

kanghsin

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why people bag on touchscreen controls. What were you expecting? I actually don't have a problem with touchscreen controls, it's. It's not like you would be hooking up a controlle
g.gif
r to your phone.

kanghsin

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I personally can't ever see myself playing a massive game like crysis 3 on a small screen. An iPad would be marginal for me. This is where AirPlay could come into effect. Stream to a tv. But for me a controller is a must. Until then, I don't take hardcore gaming seriously on a tiny phone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

If the same quality games were released on Xbox 360 or PS3, nobody would pay even $5 for them (this has been proven by the Xbox Live Community Arcade, where some games are offered for free but fail to find success)...they are awesome for "phone games", and they are starting to get close to the handheld console games, but they are still "phone games" in many ways.

Putting the best iOS games vs. the best handheld console games (DS, PSP, etc) show there is still a major league difference in quality, and the price reflects this. The day you see a game on the level of Little Big Planet on an iOS device will be the same time you see much higher game prices in the app store.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Look, trying to debate this with a non-gamer is a waste of time. There's people who have sunk hours into Farmville, but wouldn't touch Call of Duty or Civilization with a 10 foot pole. That doesn't mean that the former is "better" than the latter.

I think some people are confusing "quality" with "value". I've been an extensive console game player (PS2, 360, etc.) for at least 10 years (though my gaming is way down recently). I only just started using iOS devices last year. You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think that the level of game being put out on iOS are anywhere near the level of complexity and immersion that you get from a good console release. Even the small handful of games (like Infinity Blade) that could almost pass for a console title visually are one-trick ponies usually with one or two repeated game mechanics.

The two main problems are the controller and the size of the screen. On a 3.5" iPhone screen, I'm sorry, but very few genres are going to work well there. First person shooters are almost impossible, and there isn't enough real estate for real-time strategy and most sports titles. Touch control are far inferior to analog sticks for any game where you need to move a character around (or aim a gun). Even if they weren't, you need to dedicate a good portion of the screen to be blocked by your fingers for those controls.

However, if you're talking about "value" (instead of a direct comparison), then iOS can be superior in many cases. FIFA 12 is a prime example of this. Yes, it's a simplified (and easier) control scheme than the 360/PS3 version. But it's also extremely fun and visually appealing, not to mention that it has almost the full feature set of a console game (manager mode, team management, etc.). And it's frequently offered for 99 cents, as opposed to 60 dollars (or 40 dollars for a Vita game). More often than not, a portable gaming experience just needs to hold your attention for less than 15 minutes. The iOS version is a much better value in that sense.

Finally, we need to be honest about the storage limitations on iOS devices and what that means for gaming. If you have a 16 or even 32 GB device, as many of us do, good luck having any volume of movies, music and apps on your device and still have room for more than one or two large-file games. In order for an iOS game to be mistaken for console graphics, it's going to be a gigabyte or more in size, which causes big problems for the overall use and enjoyment of the device.

jjjwicks

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who claims that the touchscreen controls are just as good as a controller has either never played a FPS or is just plain dishonest. Fling-like joystick pads make touchscreen controls a bit better, but the level of control is nowhere near the same. The Amazing Spiderman game for iPad was well done, but you have no where near the experience that you have on the XBox 360, or even a PC. Bottom line - touchscreen controls are getting better, but don't go overboard with the console replacement talk.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It's even better when games are ported over like Street Fighter 4 and soon Street Fighter X Tekken but the game will sell for about a 1/4 of the price or cheaper. Consoles can't compete with $.99 games that take hours to complete and soon more console games will be on iOS devices as well.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Its crazy. Just a while ago, I was saying that oh, iDevices could never be like a video game console, but it's happening. I played Dreamscape, and let me tell you, this is like an open world kind of adventure game with graphics similar to PS3. It's crazy.

This is what I was looking for and I think more developers will continue to switch from traditional consoles to iOS.

Yea but no, the touch screen will never replicate analog control sticks (or even the mouse/keyboard). They will have to pry my Xbox controller from my cold dead hands before I use anything else. As a remote OK, but not a game controller; not ever.

I have no problem with millions enjoying the games on iOS. It's great that more people are playing games. But they will never compare to the product on Windows/Mac, Xbox, PS3, Wii (U). They just won't. Just because you can AirPlay it to your TV also doesn't mean it's in the same league.

Infinity Blade is great fun on my iPhone. But it's not Diablo 3 and never will be.

Last edited:

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yea but no, the touch screen will never replicate analog control sticks (or even the mouse/keyboard). They will have to pry my Xbox controller from my cold dead hands before I use anything else. As a remote OK, but not a game controller; not ever.

I have no problem with millions enjoying the games on iOS. It's great that more people are playing games. But they will never compare to the product on Windows/Mac, Xbox, PS3, Wii (U). They just won't. Just because you can AirPlay it to your TV also doesn't mean it's in the same league.

Infinity Blade is great fun on my iPhone. But it's not Diablo 3 and never will be.

Kind of sounds like BlackBerry users who said that they would never give up a physical keyboard for an all touchscreen phone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, actually if they go ahead and put tactile feedback on these iPhone touch screens, then you might just actually have another breakout device that will actually out-do the conventional controller.

Bet you never thought of that.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711