5.1 Update-phone does not need to be restored

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
This is too weird. I just updated my 4S to 5.1 and it did not ask me to restore or restore from backup. It just did the restore from backup on its own, and then backed itself up.:) I called Apple and they are clueless. Any one else have this happen?

The phone seems fine. Even Data Vault kept all my passwords. Last time it didn't.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you installed OTA, it is my understanding that only changed files are updated leaving your backed up data intact. Of course, I could be wrong and a backup could have very well taken place during the update.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
If you installed OTA, it is my understanding that only changed files are updated leaving your backed up data intact. Of course, I could be wrong and a backup could have very well taken place during the update.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

I installed through Itunes. It took about 45-50 minutes. Did a lot of verifying after it did the download, and then did an update and backed up.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, if you updated via iTunes, a backup is automatically performed. Sorry for the slow response. I'm watching 'Person Of Interest' on CBS...;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Reactions: RC28

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, if you updated via iTunes, a backup is automatically performed. Sorry for the slow response. I'm watching 'Person Of Interest' on CBS...;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Thanks JustMe. I just dont get why it did not ask me if I wanted to restore or restore from backup. It just automatically restored from my backup

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand, but remember, the role of the update is to make the necessary operating system changes while maintaining the look and settings that were already in place so you can immediately use your device like you were accustomed to prior to the update. Its focus is not like a reset/restore where you are given the choice of setting your device like new or restoring from a backup.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Last edited:

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I understand, but remember, the roll of the update is make the necessary operating system changes while maintaining the look and settings that were already in place so you can immediately use your device like you were accustomed to prior to the update. Its focus is not like a reset/restore where you are given the choice of setting your device like new or restoring from a backup.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Thanks again. Now I get it.:)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i experienced this very same thing, had me perplexed and thought something went amiss. then i was reading in another site/forum that this was supposed to happen

regardless i ran a restore again and then it gave me the option to restore as new, which is what i was originally trying to achieve. odd

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
i experienced this very same thing, had me perplexed and thought something went amiss. then i was reading in another site/forum that this was supposed to happen

regardless i ran a restore again and then it gave me the option to restore as new, which is what i was originally trying to achieve. odd

I called Apple and the girl was pretty clueless.I asked her to check with her supervisor and he said it probably gave me the option and I didn't realize I clicked it. I know I didn't lol. So far things seem fine.

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Nope. Not OTA. I did it through Itunes. I also did my Iphone 4 AND Ipod touch through Itunes. It said that it would restore them before it started doing the update on them. I must have missed it the first time. There was definitely no option to restore as new, or restore from backup. It told me it was gonna restore the devices and it did.

Oddly, the updates on these devices were quicker, and seemed less involved. The 4S took a looooooong time to update. The update steps were different too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77