happy to see Apple has admitted an issue with battery life and is addressing the issue immediately with a new OS update.

do we have any developers here who have downloaded the seeded beta version of this OS? have any of you seen a drastic change in battery life?

hoping that the bugs Apple found in the original iOS 5 software fixes our battery drain issue! can't wait for the official release
    11-03-2011 01:27 AM
    better to ask a couple days after its release.
    11-03-2011 03:45 AM
    have any of you seen a drastic change in battery life?
    There is not going to be a drastic change. That can't happen. There can be a noticeable change, but not drastic.
    BLiNK likes this.
    11-03-2011 09:13 AM
    This being my first iPhone, how long after the release is given to devs until the public usually gets it?
    11-03-2011 09:18 AM
    There's not really a precisely set time frame...it's usually pretty quickly after said release though.
    11-03-2011 10:15 AM
    There is not going to be a drastic change. That can't happen. There can be a noticeable change, but not drastic.
    well, drastic being not seeing a % going down every time i send every other text message. i realize it wont be a huge improvement but surely this OS must address little things like this?
    11-03-2011 10:30 AM
    I think they said it will be a few weeks yet before it's released
    11-03-2011 12:31 PM
    It's about the same for me, but my battery life was stellar before 5.0.1

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    11-03-2011 01:38 PM
    all they are going to do is slow down the processor, but my iphone battery life has been good out the box
    11-04-2011 12:06 AM
    all they are going to do is slow down the processor
    And you know this how? *SMH*
    Jacoblee27 and Limegrntaln like this.
    11-04-2011 12:55 AM
    all they are going to do is slow down the processor, but my iphone battery life has been good out the box
    They will not slow down the processor. The processor is already clocked-on-demand anyways, it only runs at full speed when needed.

What they will do/have done is find out whatever is causing the battery drain that SOME PEOPLE are experiencing and fix it.

It is not an issue with every phone. My battery life was stellar on both 4s' I have had (I warrantied the first one due to a crappy camera, but the battery life on it was awesome).
    11-04-2011 01:00 AM
    i applaud apple for being very honest about the battery life and they actually do something about it ...unlike some other platforms, they always blame it on the "OS"
    11-04-2011 02:24 AM
    i have noticed an improvement on the battery...
    11-04-2011 11:42 AM
    Apple is claiming its not many customers complaining, just a few; we all know its A LOT of people complaining, but they can't make themselves look bad. its never a huge change in the battery when they do an update. almost every update they do is usually to make the battery a little better. It'll probably be better by a few percentages. I've had a few iPhone 4S' and the first two were ehh... but the phone I have unlocked on T-Mobile is great on battery. No complaints! I really would hate to upgrade. I guess I won't if I don't need to actually.
    11-04-2011 09:46 PM
    Apple is claiming its not many customers complaining, just a few; we all know its A LOT of people complaining, but they can't make themselves look bad. its never a huge change in the battery when they do an update. almost every update they do is usually to make the battery a little better. It'll probably be better by a few percentages. I've had a few iPhone 4S' and the first two were ehh... but the phone I have unlocked on T-Mobile is great on battery. No complaints! I really would hate to upgrade. I guess I won't if I don't need to actually.
    Unlocked 4s on tmobile ? Please explain

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-04-2011 10:20 PM
    How many do you consider "a lot"? When you look at the big picture (several million sold), I am willing to bet its a small percentage having the issue.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    11-04-2011 10:21 PM
    To be fair, only the ones having the issue are complaining, but many more are not having any issues at all (me included)...
    11-04-2011 11:04 PM
    Coming from a software development background, you have to estimate that for every 1 person that complains ( to the company ) there's at least 2 - 4 other people that will not say a thing.

While those complaining may be a small percentage, those effected are probably much larger, and either new to the iOS family or used to phones that have crappy battery life and so they keep them charging all the time.
    11-04-2011 11:35 PM
    We managed hundreds of upgrades to iOS 5 without an systems showing any degradation in battery performance.

It's a problem, but clearly not one experienced by a large percentage of customers.
    11-05-2011 12:10 AM
    we all know its A LOT of people complaining, but they can't make themselves look bad...yap useless crap yap yap...but the phone I have unlocked on T-Mobile is great on battery.
    1. No....it's a minority. We'll never have concrete numbers, but the voice of the unhappy is always louder than the happy.

2. Duh. Of course it runs better on AT&T-Mobile. It's EDGE. 2G. Draws less power. Enjoy life in the slow lane.
    11-05-2011 12:20 AM
    And you know this how? *SMH*

Because I'm a fulltime coder and programmer for 20 years and logically it will make sense for a quick fix
    11-05-2011 02:42 AM
    The beta does not slow the processor. They appear to be disabling location services that are still in use when the application is no longer requiring them - among other things.

The processor speed has not changed.
    11-05-2011 03:26 AM
    Keep in mind, this is a forum. The main function of any forum is for the users who have problems come to complain or vent or find a solution. By far on any forum, you'll see more problems than praise.

Also, the vast majority of smartphone users don't come to internet forums. Those of us in the techy, gadget world frequent smartphone forums, but your average consumer does not.
    11-05-2011 07:50 AM
    Keep in mind, this is a forum. The main function of any forum is for the users who have problems come to complain or vent or find a solution. By far on any forum, you'll see more problems than praise.

Also, the vast majority of smartphone users don't come to internet forums. Those of us in the techy, gadget world frequent smartphone forums, but your average consumer does not.

There are very few complaints going on here, everyone can have a technical issue from time to time, but coming over from the crackberry forum last year cuz I was sick of the bashing and hs drama, there are way more complaints in that forum (the bb part anyways) than you'll see here... This battery life thing is a glitch ... Apples good at fixing things ASAP ... Bet it's out in another week or so
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-05-2011 09:28 AM
    Because I'm a fulltime coder and programmer for 20 years and logically it will make sense for a quick fix
    It's widely known that the battery life drain is an isolated problem caused by rogue background processes. It has nothing to do with the processor speed.

I happen to have zero problems so I don't really care anyway.
    11-05-2011 10:19 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD