Can't upgrade to ios5

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
O.K. So today i decided to upgrade to ios5. However, iTunes keeps telling me that i'm not eligible for this "build". I've checked everything in the Mac, and i'm good. I think that the JB is blocking the upgrade, because i can't restore. Anybody got a clue?:confused:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
O.K. So today i decided to upgrade to ios5. However, iTunes keeps telling me that i'm not eligible for this "build". I've checked everything in the Mac, and i'm good. I think that the JB is blocking the upgrade, because i can't restore. Anybody got a clue?:confused:

O.K. Now i'm in recovery mode, and can't get out of it! Help!!!!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
things you may want to try:

re-download iTunes and restart your computer

put the device into DFU mode. i believe this still can be done while it is in recovery mode

* i strongly believe that your previous jailbreak has nothing to do with this

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
things you may want to try:

re-download iTunes and restart your computer

put the device into DFU mode. i believe this still can be done while it is in recovery mode

* i strongly believe that your previous jailbreak has nothing to do with this

iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone. In iTunes, all my info comes up as N/A. I have AppleCare for the iPhone, and they couldn't help me over the phone. Tried everything. I strongly believe that the jb is the cause of this problem. If i could have figured out how to delete the jb from the phone BEFORE i plugged it into iTunes, there never would have been a problem. So now, it's a 75 mile ride to the Apple Store tomorrow, and i'll come back with an iPhone running 5.0. I guess it will be a long time before i jb again. :(

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone. In iTunes, all my info comes up as N/A. I have AppleCare for the iPhone, and they couldn't help me over the phone. Tried everything. I strongly believe that the jb is the cause of this problem. If i could have figured out how to delete the jb from the phone BEFORE i plugged it into iTunes, there never would have been a problem. So now, it's a 75 mile ride to the Apple Store tomorrow, and i'll come back with an iPhone running 5.0. I guess it will be a long time before i jb again. :(

you better get rid of that jailbreak before you step foot in that store.. the second they see it your warranty including apple care is out the window they will not help you and they will send you out the door.. jailbreaking completely voids your warranty

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Have you done either or both of these before?

A. Preserved your baseband or installed the iPad baseband.
B. used Tiny Umbrella.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
funny, if he gets rid of the jailbreak then he would ultimately be back to stock which in turn would not need to go to the Apple store

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
you better get rid of that jailbreak before you step foot in that store.. the second they see it your warranty including apple care is out the window they will not help you and they will send you out the door.. jailbreaking completely voids your warranty

They can't see any jb. The only thing on the screen is a usb plug going to an iTunes logo.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

B. used Tiny Umbrella.

No to both, but i have both the 4.3.3 ipsw & the 5.0 ipsw in my downloads folder. Is there no way to get rid of the jb, without plugging into iTunes?

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
There's no way to "delete" a jailbreak. Only way is to restore to a stock iOS firmware.

Have you tried another cable? Or another PC?

Have you tried putting it in DFU mode?

Also I strongly believe your JB is not "blocking" your upgrade. How did you start the upgrade process?

Last edited:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
There's no way to "delete" a jailbreak. Only way is to restore to a stock iOS firmware.

Have you tried another cable? Or another PC?

Have you tried putting it in DFU mode?

Also I strongly believe your JB is not "blocking" your upgrade. How did you start the upgrade process?

Can't get it into DFU mode, and i started the upgrade process by trying to "restore", in iTunes. I do however, have another Mac. I've already tried to upgrade with it. No luck.

Llorona19

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you dont use your computer when you take it in, it may show just the usb itunes sign but the backup wouldnt be good and they might see jailbreak from there, just be careful

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you dont use your computer when you take it in, it may show just the usb itunes sign but the backup wouldnt be good and they might see jailbreak from there, just be careful

If i could get the flipping phone out of recovery mode, then i wouldn't have to go to the Apple Store!!!!!

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

B. used Tiny Umbrella.

Big thank you to you, Massie. Used Tiny Umbrella to "exit recovery mode". Slammed me back into iTunes, and stripped phone to the bone. Then automatically downloaded 5.0, and re-installed everything back onto phone. Took about an hour, start to finish, but it beats the hell out of a 150 mile round trip to the Apple Store. Thanks again, for your suggestion. The Force is still with me.:)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
now, it's time to do a tethered JB. use the force Luke! :)

I'm going to play around with this 5.0 for a while, just to see it's limitations. The untethered jb should be out soon, so i guess that i'll wait for that. Thanks again for your help. I have to go, the Dark Side of the Force is calling me.:D

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
ok well i have not seen anything that indicates that an Untethered JB will be out "soon"

it could be days--weeks--months for all we know. i hate to say it but i think the jailbreak scene has lost some of its flare. i hope i am wrong

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77