iMessage in iCloud-What is the point?

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Re: iMessage in iCloud-What os the point?

You misunderstand. I'm not implying that you stop posting here. But I did imply that changes are not going to come unless you let Apple know directly... they do not read these forums.
Hm...I see your point. But this means for me that I will probably stop or reduce posting here (which will be appreciated by some!), as I'm too lazy or too busy (?) to double post on problems.
I'm coming from the Blackberry side of this site, and over there, it was - and still is - taken for granted that people from BB (in older times) or TCL read posts, and sometimes even join conversations.

I understand that this would probably be too much for Apple, due to their far bigger market share...on the other hand, they have much more people and much more money, so it could happen, if they wanted.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Hm...I see your point. But this means for me that I will probably stop or reduce posting here (which will be appreciated by some!), as I'm too lazy or too busy (?) to double post on problems.
I'm coming from the Blackberry side of this site, and over there, it was - and still is - taken for granted that people from BB (in older times) or TCL read posts, and sometimes even join conversations.

I understand that this would probably be too much for Apple, due to their far bigger market share...on the other hand, they have much more people and much more money, so it could happen, if they wanted.

It’s about policies. And Apple’s policy so far has been not to participate in day to day discussions on internet.

Recommending you to use the https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p option is not meant to chase you away, on the contrary even. Please stay, we like to hear from everyone and everywhere.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So should I turn it (forward feature) off ? Will it doubling my messages on icloud if I don’t turn it off ?

So, I just tested this. I turned off text message forwarding, and sent myself a test text message.

The message did NOT sync to the Mac or iPad.

So, the answer is yes: you DO need to turn on text message sync in order to have SMS (non-iMessage) messages appear on other devices, even with Messages in iCloud on iOS >=11.4 and macOS >=10.13.5

[edit] Update: so, it took a day or two, but those SMS messages **did** sync over to the Mac and iPad. It just took a while. Sorry for jumping the gun.

Of course, you will still need SMS forwarding to reply, I believe, and delivery will definitely be faster.

Last edited:

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Messages in iCloud, as you mentioned, is meant to keep things sync'd across devices.
Also means if you start with a fresh device, Messages should pull in when you enable iCloud. When starting with a fresh phone and no backup, you can get a lot of things back (Safari bookmarks, photos, etc.) but until now you would do without messages.

I’ve always wondered what it’s for. Thank you for this explanation

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
So, I just tested this. I turned off text message forwarding, and sent myself a test text message.

The message did NOT sync to the Mac or iPad.

So, the answer is yes: you DO need to turn on text message sync in order to have SMS (non-iMessage) messages appear on other devices, even with Messages in iCloud on iOS >=11.4 and macOS >=10.13.5

Thx very much for the testing and confirmation.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I tried to delete my text message from my iphone, and it deleted as well on my mac (only takes few seconds)

But when I tried to delete text message from my mac, it’s not deleted on my iphone. Anyone experienced the same ?

Also, I tried to send text message to my phone (from my friend’s number), but i didn’t showed on my mac. Anyone has the same issue ?

(I tried mainly text messages since i don’t use imessage)

Thanks