I'm still on the 6 plus and iOS 10.3.3 and i notice from time to time the phone would freeze while in apps.
    12-23-2017 01:38 AM
    I got ya, I think.. You're saying, basically, that it's a fool's move to forget that Apple is a for profit company. Expecting them to be "your best friend/neighbor/bother-in-law" is silly from the beginning.
    Although your statement is true, my focus was more on the expectation of transparency. In addition, the claims that Apple ‘forced customers to upgrade” due to their ‘throttling’ is bunch of crap for the most part, in my not so humble opinion. . Like always, the folks that are screaming bloody murder are ‘probably’ techies who rarely keep their devices longer than 12 months. Then again, I live in ‘Realville’ where we are expected to change what we can, accept what we can’t and make the best of what we have with the understanding that there are pitfalls and deceptions in government, business and in our personal lives.
    12-23-2017 06:51 AM
    While I understand their reasoning for doing this, I have to mirror many here in questioning why they haven’t said anything up until they were caught. I’m not really surprised, sadly, that others are just writing them off however.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-23-2017 07:03 AM
    You’re the CEO of a company that is set to make a billion dollars from a device it is about to sell. Folks are chomping at the bit to purchase it. An hour before your device officially goes on sale, one of your techs alert you to a flaw he discovered that he calculated would affect approximately 2% of those devices. Do you

A. Postpone the opening sale and alert prospective customers of the flaw, thus risk losing millions of dollars

or

B. Make the decision to continue as planned and not mention the flaw because it would be cheaper to deal with the aftermath from the 2% that are affected.
    12-23-2017 07:05 AM
    While I understand their reasoning for doing this, I have to mirror many here in questioning why they haven’t said anything up until they were caught. I’m not really surprised, sadly, that others are just writing them off however.
    I hear ya. Some of us would conclude that we should get a new battery and then go about our business. Know what I mean?
    12-23-2017 07:12 AM
    This isn't true. Battery degradation alone isn't what is causing the slowness. Apple is compensating for
    the effects of that battery degradation (random reboots) by implementing throttling features into our devices. So to prevent our devices from shutting down randomly, our devices are throttled. These features were introduced via iOS version updates. This was directly stated from Apple. The iPhone 7 received this throttling feature with the iOS 11.2 upgrade.
    All that caused by a very, very degraded battery
    12-23-2017 08:10 AM
    Apples choices:

1. People with older phones where the battery has degraded to the point where processes due to the upgraded OS kill their phone during high demand times complain because their phone is dying and aren’t smart enough to either buy a new phone or replace their battery which is common sense.

2. Apple finds a way to slow these same phones down only during these high demand times so that the phone performs better and people complain because Apple was “hiding something from them”.

Conclusion: people will complain about anything and throw around the term “class action lawsuit” any time they can.
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-23-2017 09:50 AM
    Apples choices:

1. People with older phones where the battery has degraded to the point where processes due to the upgraded OS kill their phone during high demand times complain because their phone is dying and aren’t smart enough to either buy a new phone or replace their battery which is common sense.

2. Apple finds a way to slow these same phones down only during these high demand times so that the phone performs better and people complain because Apple was “hiding something from them”.

Conclusion: people will complain about anything and throw around the term “class action lawsuit” any time they can.
    There was another choice. Remember the message you get when the iPhone is too hot and it has to cool before you can use it? Apple could have chosen to crash the running app and put up a notice that the app was closed because the battery is not in a state to run an app that requires that much power, and potentially offer to go into a low power state to let you try again.

But, you're right that people would complain about that, too.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-23-2017 10:55 AM
    There was another choice. Remember the message you get when the iPhone is too hot and it has to cool before you can use it? Apple could have chosen to crash the running app and put up a notice that the app was closed because the battery is not in a state to run an app that requires that much power, and potentially offer to go into a low power state to let you try again.

But, you're right that people would complain about that, too.
    I agree. Hindsight always shows us alternatives.
    12-23-2017 11:18 AM
    I concur, by doing this Apple is preventing affected owners from even testing the idea that their battery is past it's best ! And why? you are not going to convince me that it is not possible to at least break even at $79 !
    Agree. I could see if people are going in asking for a free battery replacement, but no way that the battery cost anywhere near $79.
    12-23-2017 08:25 PM
    Apples choices:

Ah yes spending $800+ when a simple battery replacement could fix it... The issue is in many cases apple flat out denying people a new battery (even if they want to pay for it) because it "passed" their battery test. For people who read these forums, yes it is common sense about battery, for most non tech people it is not. It still is a case of apple hindering performance to try and get users onto a new phone. That is the issue people are taking. Not sure why this is so difficult for some to understand.
    12-23-2017 08:29 PM
    Ah yes spending $800+ when a simple battery replacement could fix it... The issue is in many cases apple flat out denying people a new battery (even if they want to pay for it) because it "passed" their battery test. For people who read these forums, yes it is common sense about battery, for most non tech people it is not. It still is a case of apple hindering performance to try and get users onto a new phone. That is the issue people are taking. Not sure why this is so difficult for some to understand.
    They helped people keep the phone they had. That shouldn’t be difficult for people to understand. Smartphones aren’t new, they’ve been out for a while now so most people should understand the battery wont last more than a couple/few years.

I will again agree that Apples communication on what they were attempting to fix could have been better. Every company wants customers to buy as much of their product as possible. I’m still going to stick with it was nothing evil though.
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-23-2017 08:37 PM
    Ah yes spending $800+ when a simple battery replacement could fix it... The issue is in many cases apple flat out denying people a new battery (even if they want to pay for it) because it "passed" their battery test.
    If the phone passes the battery test, then it is not being throttled to prevent sudden shutdown, and replacing the battery will not fix anything.
    Annie_8plus and TgeekB like this.
    12-23-2017 08:51 PM
    Much ado about nothing...and here comes the ZOMG WE MUST SUE!1!1!!!111!
    Just_Me_D, Annie_8plus and TgeekB like this.
    12-23-2017 09:26 PM
    If the phone passes the battery test, then it is not being throttled to prevent sudden shutdown, and replacing the battery will not fix anything.
    Ah, but can you be sure that the Apple battery test provides the high stress that will cause the iPhone to crash ... or is it just a placebo to save them money ?
    Premium1 likes this.
    12-24-2017 06:25 AM
    Ah, but can you be sure that the Apple battery test provides the high stress that will cause the iPhone to crash ... or is it just a placebo to save them money ?
    It has nothing to do with how much the battery is stressed at the moment - it has to do with how degraded the battery cells have become over time. If the cells are still showing good health, the phone will not have a reason to throttle the processors to prevent low voltage shutdown.

If you have a Mac, get the free app Coconut Battery, connect your iPhone to your computer, and open the iOS tab on Coconut battery. It will tell you the maximum capacity of your battery compared with original design, so you can see for yourself. See https://www.imore.com/how-check-your...battery-health
    12-24-2017 06:29 AM
    I searched for apps like this for Windows. Nothing I found is compatible. Anyone have anything?
    12-24-2017 03:14 PM
    Much ado about nothing...and here comes the ZOMG WE MUST SUE!1!1!!!111!
    Class action!!!! How can I make $5??? LOL.
    Just_Me_D and reeneebob like this.
    12-24-2017 04:04 PM
    (Laughing)....I know, right?
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-24-2017 04:20 PM
    (Laughing)....I know, right?
    Yeah give me money because Apple didn’t tell me they wanted to keep phones running as smooth as possible for longer and reduce the erratic behavior of older batteries.....

Jokes aside, they could have been more upfront about it. However, lawsuits are uncalled for here.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-24-2017 04:49 PM
    Yeah give me money because Apple didn’t tell me they wanted to keep phones running as smooth as possible for longer and reduce the erratic behavior of older batteries.....

Jokes aside, they could have been more upfront about it. However, lawsuits are uncalled for here.
    Of course....
    12-24-2017 04:50 PM

Agreed.
    12-24-2017 04:51 PM
    I’m pretty much done with iPhones after this year, so I really don’t care. I only got this one to use while I wait on the next Pixels XL to release.

Once that comes, I’m jumping ship since I don’t foresee myself upgrading my Mac with another iMac, and it’s a bit long in the tooth and completely non-upgradeable.

I think it’s pretty obvious that batteries get worse over time. I don’t need Apples help preserving battery life when the tasks I perform on my phone depend on performance.

Why do they think I got an iPhone? For the performance, which is what they’re always crying about when they’re trying to sell us a new phone.

I hope they get destroyed with those lawsuits.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    12-26-2017 02:28 PM
    It’s not “when they upgrade their iOS version”, nor “on older phones”, it’s when the battery starts degrading.
    The hardware performance is throttled to maximize what’s left of the battery life aka you’re due to replace it anyway so you might as well take advantage of the situation.
    You don’t get to dictate what people are due to replace. If their iPhone 6 is fast enough for what they do, the phone is fine for them.

What the throttling does is make people think their phone is no good by rendering it unusable for scenarios that were totally viable before the software artificially and secretly destroyed the device performance.

Suddenly, your A8 is about as good as an A5. Gratz!

This was misleading and you have to be retarded not to think Apple knew this fed into their upgrade cycles. I am not even sure why people are explaining this away, or trying.

The iPhone 6 Plus we had was perfect until the phone got throttled, at which point it became literally unusable and the person it belong to upgraded it to an 8 Plus.

In the real world, people aren’t making excuses. They’re just thinking their phones are done and they need a new $800 device. Apple does not tell them their phone is throttled, or that their battery is past that arbitrary threshold.

Also, I have an old HTC M8 here. The battery life is terrible now, but it runs at full speed and it has never shut down in the ice rink while iPhones do this all the time.

Apples issues are not a general LiIon problem. There is something wrong with the iPhones that do this, from a design perspective.

Especially when you factor in the HTC has more sensors, etc. than an iPhone 6 Plus and a smaller battery capacity even brand new. Either you’re eating up the BS Apple is feeding you, or you’re going to have to believe that HTC is using considerably better batteries in their cheaper phones.

The 6 Plus was bought mid cycle, so it wasn’t a 3 year old phone, either. It was just paid off a couple of months ago (27 months old, at most).

I have seen dozens of iPhones cut off when they get cold, in the ice rink here. That, or aggressive battery drain, which is why most people who train here have battery cases on their iPhones, or leave them in the lobby (“warm room”). I use my M8 on the ice. It has NEVER shut down on me, and the battery life is the same in the facility, by the ice surface, as it is in Florida during the summer

Again: I have never seen an Android device do this in the ice rink here - ever. If someone complains about “their phone” doing this, you can guess it’s an iPhone with 100% accuracy.

These issues, and this terrible workaround, are pretty much exclusive to iPhones.

Most Android phones as old or older than an iPjone 6 have removable batteries (Note 3/4, etc.) so they aren’t at the mercy of some - possibly rigged - OEM battery test to get a battery replacement and restore their device performance.

The secrecy and lack of transparency is problematic. The degree to which devices are throttled is problematic. Most people will blame the phone and replace it, because the device does not inform them and the batteries aren’t easily replaceable.
    12-26-2017 02:37 PM
    You don’t get to dictate what people are due to replace. If their iPhone 6 is fast enough for what they do, the phone is fine for them.

What the throttling does is make people think their phone is no good by rendering it unusable for scenarios that were totally viable before the software artificially and secretly destroyed the device performance.

Suddenly, your A8 is about as good as an A5. Gratz!

This was misleading and you have to be retarded not to think Apple knew this fed into their upgrade cycles. I am not even sure why people are explaining this away, or trying.

The iPhone 6 Plus we had was perfect until the phone got throttled, at which point it became literally unusable and the person it belong to upgraded it to an 8 Plus.

In the real world, people aren’t making excuses. They’re just thinking their phones are done and they need a new $800 device. Apple does not tell them their phone is throttled, or that their battery is past that arbitrary threshold.

Also, I have an old HTC M8 here. The battery life is terrible now, but it runs at full speed and it has never shut down in the ice rink while iPhones do this all the time.

Apples issues are not a general LiIon problem. There is something wrong with the iPhones that do this, from a design perspective.

Especially when you factor in the HTC has more sensors, etc. than an iPhone 6 Plus and a smaller battery capacity even brand new.

I have seen dozens of iPhones cut off when they get cold. I have never seen an Android device do this in the ice rink here - ever.

These issues, and this terrible workaround, are practically exclusive to iPhones.
    When you toggle on "low power mode", it does basically the same thing. It slows the CPU down some. It's not an issue. It helps iPhones with terribly degraded batteries. One likely wouldn't notice the difference.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-26-2017 02:46 PM
153 12345 ...