Confused about how imessage works?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
so does imessage atuomatically kick it when you text somebody with the new ios5 software? i cant figure it out. because if you text your self the bubble will be blue and imessage will be in affect? how do u text somebody if you dont want to use imessage? thanks

anneemonster

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
When it's blue, you're texting someone with an iOS 5 iPhone and iMessage kicks in. It is not taken out of your regular text message plan, but your data I believe. When the bubbles are green, the person does not have an iPhone with iOS 5 and it will be taken out of your messaging plan. There is no way to turn it on or off.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
When it's blue, you're texting someone with an iOS 5 iPhone and iMessage kicks in. It is not taken out of your regular text message plan, but your data I believe. When the bubbles are green, the person does not have an iPhone with iOS 5 and it will be taken out of your messaging plan. There is no way to turn it on or off.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

You are absolutely correct.

Reactions: anneemonster

mdntblu

May 17, 2009
www.lightmyworld.com
The question I have about iMessage is this:
So if you have an iPhone and iPad syncing on the iCloud and someone on another iPhone iMessages you to your Phone number is it supposed to sync on your iPad? Because I can't seem to get that to work. But if I go from an iPhone and iMessage to an email address that is setup on iMessage on the iPad it goes to the iPad but not to the iPhone. How do you get them to all be synced?

John's iPhone sends iMessage to Paul's phone number, no message on Paul's iPad, only Paul's iPhone. If John's iPhone sends iMessage to Paul's email, Paul's iPad gets the message and not Paul's iPhone.

Hope this makes sense? Can anyone help me out?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The question I have about iMessage is this:
So if you have an iPhone and iPad syncing on the iCloud and someone on another iPhone iMessages you to your Phone number is it supposed to sync on your iPad? Because I can't seem to get that to work. But if I go from an iPhone and iMessage to an email address that is setup on iMessage on the iPad it goes to the iPad but not to the iPhone. How do you get them to all be synced?

John's iPhone sends iMessage to Paul's phone number, no message on Paul's iPad, only Paul's iPhone. If John's iPhone sends iMessage to Paul's email, Paul's iPad gets the message and not Paul's iPhone.

Hope this makes sense? Can anyone help me out?

As far as I can tell, it should only sync "iMessage" conversations that are sent to your email address, not your phone number, since your iPad doesn't have a texting plan, it doesn't have a phone number registered to the device. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
so does imessage atuomatically kick it when you text somebody with the new ios5 software? i cant figure it out. because if you text your self the bubble will be blue and imessage will be in affect? how do u text somebody if you dont want to use imessage? thanks

it appears that way. Just text them like normal. If they're not on iOS5 its jsut a normal text I guess.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
so is imessage faster than texting? for example do the messages send and receive faster than normal texts?

As far as I've been able to tell, the messages are about the same speed, with iMessage you just know when it is "delivered" to the device, where with SMS you have no clue if it ever gets there.