Is it just me... Or is iMessage pretty lame

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I mean, I' would think that the leader in wireless communications would come up with a better messenger platform than THIS. It doesn't hold a candle to BBM, LiveProfile, WhatsApp or other true messenger apps. It's simply a "tweak" to text messages to show delivery & typing.

I would like to see iMessage as a stand-alone, pre-installed app on all i-Devices. Much like BBM is to Blackberry. Profile Pictures, contacts, available/away statuses, groups... It just seems to me that iMessage has a LONG way to go before it can even compare to any other messenger platform. Just my thoughts.... :cool:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
So let's get this straight. You're comparing a 1.0 product to something well established? You want those features? Go ahead and submit your feedback to Apple. kthxbye

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
The key feature of iMessage is it will send as SMS if the recipient does not have iMessage I stalled, or as a free iMessage if they do.

Read and typing notifications are a bonus.

-t

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Yea i know.... I just thought it was hyped as a "bbm killer" ...

However, I DO realize it's still in development. Maybe I over expected it to have more... idk "umph" These are just things I'd like to see in the future.

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea i know.... I just thought it was hyped as a "bbm killer" ...

However, I DO realize it's still in development. Maybe I over expected it to have more... idk "umph" These are just things I'd like to see in the future.

Yea it was hyped as a bbm killer, just as the storm was hyped to be an iphone killer, hahahahahaha

Why would yopu want another app to open up and check/send a message in? i think having iMessage baked right into the messages app is perfect. one app, 2 messaging options that would be seamless. as someone else said, this is the first run and there will be additions down the road im sure. give it time.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It is a BBM killer because:

1. It will be automatically used between any two people on iOS 5, that's a userbase of 100 million already who are able to use it on iOS 5's release date.

2. It is not a separate app. It's integrated in a way that it does not take any extra steps to access it, and the experience is very much the same as traditional text messaging. It is not confusing, it is not overkill. Text messages shouldn't be a social network of their own.

I think they are starting with a foundation that is greatly improved from the BBM format. Maybe some similar things to BBM functionality will come later with user feedback.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Yea. I guess I'm just a fan of old school messengers. Where you can set pics and stuff like that. i really don't care about extra steps, it's just a screen click...

Besides I hate texting. And it just still feels like i'm texting... lol

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea. I guess I'm just a fan of old school messengers. Where you can set pics and stuff like that. i really don't care about extra steps, it's just a screen click...

Besides I hate texting. And it just still feels like i'm texting... lol

BBM *is* text messaging. Think about the word: "text messaging".

Messaging, by way of textual transmission.

Sounds a hell of a lot like BBM to me. :p Just saying!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Just use email for important communications. Texting and IM IMO should never be used for any type of important stuff like that. Hence; to me iMessage, BBM, etc are all equally lame and I don't care what claims are made about reliability. It's still just texting.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I've noticed is that it's faster since it's based on internet connection. Also, the delivery / read receipts are BOSS. Think about it. If you make plans with a friend to go to the movies and need to tell him that there is a change of plans, knowing that he read the message or not is very helpful. So instead of ditching him before I know he's read the message that we should meet at a different movie theatre, I'll just wait for him and then we'll meet up and go to another movie later on.

Rodeoz

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Having used iMessage in the betas and WhatsApp I ll be sticking to the latter. I am hoping the upcoming Samsung Chat On will offer even more than WhatsApp.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Having used iMessage in the betas and WhatsApp I ll be sticking to the latter. I am hoping the upcoming Samsung Chat On will offer even more than WhatsApp.

Well, you'll still be using iMessage. Unless you disable it, which would be absolutely pointless. lol

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Uh, well.. for now, iMessage is kind of lame because NOBODY has iMessage unless they are beta testing iOS 5.

When iOS 5 officially launches, it'll be awesome.. and a BBM killer. End of story.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Uh, well.. for now, iMessage is kind of lame because NOBODY has iMessage unless they are beta testing iOS 5.

When iOS 5 officially launches, it'll be awesome.. and a BBM killer. End of story.

Exactly! I thought BBM was lame because no one I knew had BB's... Everyone I know now has an iPhone so I think I'll finally "get" the hype.

Great point!

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Apple likes to make money.
Apple likes it's developers to make money.

Maybe what Apple has done is lay down the foundations, then they release the pertinent APIs to the developer community, who then build apps that add greater functionality. Groups, what are u listening to, location sharing, whatever.

Of course, Apple could be holding back a few things because they want to announce them at the iPad 3 launch in the spring. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2