Which iMac model

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Still doing my research into getting a Mac for the first time. I'm looking at the 3 27inch iMac models and trying to decide what I need. I'm going to definitely upgrade to the 2TB fusion drive (to take advantage of the 128 SSD versus the 24 SSD in the 1TB drive). I was looking at the middle model but that pushes me over my budget of trying to stay around 2K with the upgraded drive.

I'll be doing some light photo editing but mostly editing family videos that I take. Right now I plan on using iMovie and think that will be good enough for my needs. I don't really play many games on the PC but truthfully i've never had a PC that could really keep up with modern games. I'm thinking of picking up the latest Civilization but would like the option to buy a modern game if one caught my eye (I'm mostly content with my PS4 for my gaming).

The one thing I am really concerned about is the longevity of the Mac. I'm used to PC's that can be upgraded. I'm specifically going with the 27 inch model because the ram is easily user upgrade-able. Having the rest of the system locked down makes me nervous for the future however. Is there any major difference between the 3 models that would help future proof it? I'm hoping for at least 5 good years without too much worry. I know choosing the I7 upgrade on the middle model would help but it's a $300 premium on top of the 2K starting price and would really push it out of my range.

Thanks for your opinions!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
You're going with the Fusion Drive and the RAM Can be upgraded. There is not much more you can do but buy top of the line. The iMac you are thinking of will last you at least 5 years. They are a good solid machine. I have 2007 iMac that is still rocking along just fine, to give you an idea. The only thing I have done to it is change the hard drive to an SSD and upgrade the RAM. It is used on a daily basis and is just shy of 9 years old. It is on El Capitan the current OS X available.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Take a look a the M395 model, its not that much more then the one you're getting, and it comes with a 2TB Fusion drive, plus a better. You're paying 2199 for the M390 and a 2TB drive. The M395 is a hundred more and as I noted, it already includes the 2TB Fusion drive.

Also consider EDU discounts, you may qualify - that will help drop the price

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have 2007 iMac that is still rocking along just fine, to give you an idea. The only thing I have done to it is change the hard drive to an SSD and upgrade the RAM. It is used on a daily basis and is just shy of 9 years old. It is on El Capitan the current OS X available.

This is promising to hear. I've had an iPhone and iPad for awhile now and am used to getting 3 or so years at the most before they start to feel woefully out of date.

Take a look a the M395 model, its not that much more then the one you're getting, and it comes with a 2TB Fusion drive, plus a better. You're paying 2199 for the M390 and a 2TB drive. The M395 is a hundred more and as I noted, it already includes the 2TB Fusion drive.

Also consider EDU discounts, you may qualify - that will help drop the price

I did check out that model. I've been trying to talk myself into it. It's honestly pushing my 2K budget quite a bit because after taxes (and I didn't mention this but the trackpad upgrade that I really want) will be close to $2600 when it's all said and done. I wish the higher model included the 4GB of ram on the graphics card instead of 2GB. I'm kind of curious how much difference you'll notice between the 2 graphics cards with only 2GB's on both of them. Sadly no EDU discounts apply for me.

Thank you both for your insights.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl