iCloud backup storage issue

ewarhol

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm having problems with trying to do an iCloud backup. I'm using the free 5 GB option. It says it wants to do a 3.9 GB backup. It's never been that large of a back up. I only backup my contacts, calendars, reminders, safari, and app data. I do not back up photos or use photo stream. I've tried turning off all that I listed, tried deleting account, and tried signing out and rebooting. But I keep getting 3.9 GB backup. How can I fix this? My backup used to only be around 1 GB max.

Eric

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Did you just change iPhones if you did look under manage storage in settings and see if you have more than one iPhone listed

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

ewarhol

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Did you just change iPhones if you did look under manage storage in settings and see if you have more than one iPhone listed

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Nope, my iPhone is the only one listed. My wife's iPhone has her own iCloud, and our iPad has its own iCloud.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with iCloud if I delete info off of phone then do a back up, shouldn't the amount of memory taken up/used be reduced on the iCloud? i.e. I have 1.5 GB out of the 5.0 GB used, delete some stuff off of phone (1/2 GB), then do a iCloud backup shouldn't it go down to 1.0GB used up.

Incase this helps I have a 4S using 6.1.2

ewarhol

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Depends in what you delete. If you delete photos in the camera roll, lots of text messages and the like your backup size should decrease. But if you delete some large apps like games that don't really store much data, then the size won't go down because apps themselves don't get backed up just the app's data.

Does iCloud back up text messages automatically? Is there a way to stop that?

ewarhol

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Got it. I transferred photos to computer and deleted all texts (over 1 1/2 years worth). I then went into iCloud deleted backup and deleted account, turned phone off for a few minutes. After turning back on I logged into iCloud, now I'm at 150MB used instead of 4GB. Thanks everyone for you help and input.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll