This has been pissing me off to no end too. Ive been paying for MobileMe for years now and I migrate to iCloud and email delivery sucks. Im missing or not getting important emails. I see the battery life has been an issue, but not one blog has mentioned anything about iCloud not pushing email. Im extremely frustrated. Heres a thread on apple discussion forum. look over to the right under related topics, tons of them over 1,000 replies to iCloud not pushing email, havent heard a word about it on the blogs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    10-28-2011 04:03 PM
    bgl321, what I meant was, on the iPhone/iPad when creating a Calendar item, you can only set one alert\reminder. But, with iCloud\Mobile ME, you have the option for TWO Calendar alerts\reminders per event that you add to the Calendar.
    Oh, Ok! Much clearer now
    No, no it isn't. Google's implementation of EAS supports one alarm/reminder. Exchange/Hotmail support one alarm/reminder.

Google's native calendar, its implementation of CalDAV supports two alarms/reminders - as does iCloud/iCal. It's CalDAV that supports two alarms/reminders.

One can run Google EAS and Google Calendar simultaneously, alongside each other. Google EAS will only support one alarm/reminder per event - period.

Of course, all of this is documented in each entity's help.
    10-30-2011 02:43 PM
    This has been pissing me off to no end too. Ive been paying for MobileMe for years now and I migrate to iCloud and email delivery sucks. Im missing or not getting important emails. I see the battery life has been an issue, but not one blog has mentioned anything about iCloud not pushing email. Im extremely frustrated. Heres a thread on apple discussion forum. look over to the right under related topics, tons of them over 1,000 replies to iCloud not pushing email, havent heard a word about it on the blogs.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    MobileMe/iCloud isn't "push" email on the iPhone - never has been. Look up XMPP publish-subscribe (pubsub) - Jabber - Apple pushes notifications that you have Apple email, opening the application refreshes your queue, just like other developers transmit notifications. Apple's been loving XMPP since OS X 10.4.

Yahoo has its own proprietary flavor of "push" - but it's not true push email either. The Mail app does support IMAP IDLE for other providers, including Google. Go figure.

I switched my iCloud accounts to Fetch and no longer have delivery issues. YMMV. Apple does need to get their act together. I don't use my Apple accounts for mission-critical correspondence, giving up on them some time ago.
    10-30-2011 03:13 PM
    I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're saying\trying to say here...

To clarify, are you saying if someone has Google\GMail on an iPhone\iPad setup as Exchange they can add TWO alerts\reminders to a Calendar item?

If so, please provide the steps to do so...

No, no it isn't. Google's implementation of EAS supports one alarm/reminder. Exchange/Hotmail support one alarm/reminder.

Google's native calendar, its implementation of CalDAV supports two alarms/reminders - as does iCloud/iCal. It's CalDAV that supports two alarms/reminders.

One can run Google EAS and Google Calendar simultaneously, alongside each other. Google EAS will only support one alarm/reminder per event - period.

Of course, all of this is documented in each entity's help.
    10-30-2011 09:00 PM
    I need something clarified here...

Does iCloud [me.com] support PUSH, or not?

I know I can search Google etc, but seems we have conflicting answers, just want to see what people say here...
    10-30-2011 09:03 PM

I know I can search Google etc, but seems we have conflicting answers, just want to see what people say here...
    FWIW,

On my iPhone 4, I turned on Push for mail temporarily (I usually Fetch) and turned it on for my iCloud account. I sent an email from Gmail on the web, to my me.com address on iCloud and within 10 seconds my banner popped up to notify me that I had a new email. Seems like Push is working.
    10-31-2011 11:38 AM
    ...anyone?

10-31-2011 02:03 PM
    My iCloud account doesn't work with my Mac mail client. For some reason I can set it up fine and it will sync and then a while later I get a pop up asking for the password and I'll type it in and it won't work. I've tried deleting the account on the mail client and it does the same thing each time. Any suggestions?
    10-31-2011 02:55 PM
    ...do you have special characters in your password? Maybe try resetting it without any.
    Also, do you have a firewall\virus checker? Maybe turn it off for a moment, to test, and see if it works then.

My iCloud account doesn't work with my Mac mail client. For some reason I can set it up fine and it will sync and then a while later I get a pop up asking for the password and I'll type it in and it won't work. I've tried deleting the account on the mail client and it does the same thing each time. Any suggestions?
    leharris22 likes this.
    10-31-2011 03:35 PM
    ...do you have special characters in your password? Maybe try resetting it without any.
    Also, do you have a firewall\virus checker? Maybe turn it off for a moment, to test, and see if it works then.
    I just have standard alphanumeric...numbers and letters. I don't think there's a firewall. The mail client fetches the rest of my accounts. Thanks, though.
    10-31-2011 03:47 PM
    I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're saying\trying to say here...

To clarify, are you saying if someone has Google\GMail on an iPhone\iPad setup as Exchange they can add TWO alerts\reminders to a Calendar item?

If so, please provide the steps to do so...
    iOS supports multiple "alarms" in terms of CalDAV. "Native" Google accounts are, in essence CalDAV. Exchange and Exchange ActiveSync are entirely different animals entirely. And, to further confound you - look, I'm trying to be helpful here - Google DOES NOT implement the most-current version Exchange ActiveSync (for which there are multiple protocols, the most recent is 14.1), Google does its own thing, as does Apple.

If you'd use Outlook on a real Exchange account (Mac or Windows), you'd have a "Main" account. On Google, you'd have a "Main" account. We don't communicate with our iPhones through "Exchange" - though that's what our iOS device categorizes some of our accounts as; Google EAS is NOT Exchange - it's Google's implementation of EAS, and EAS is not Exchange. Regardless of this, and to address your question, on our iOS devices and through an Exchange account multiple alarms is not possible. Period. However, Google in their native iOS Gmail account uses CalDAV - and CalDAV allows for setting multiple alarms for each event (and so does Google CalDAV), so when we're using the Google web interface or iCal or iOS device we're essentially we're accessing CalDAV (rather, Google's implementation of CalDAV).

I know there's a lot of frustrated people out there, and on this forum, but it's Google and Apple that aren't documenting a "matrix" of what we can do with each account on our devices. I access my Google Premier Account email via the native client, but Google doesn't allow me to delete an email from the Mail client by their design when I swipe when it's a native Google account (I can only archive) but I can delete an email from an EAS (Exchange) account - go figure. So, I set up my work Google account for EAS but limit it to email only, and as a Google account for calendaring so I can set multiple alarms. Maddening? Yes, absolutely. I learned to take advantage of these services so that they work for me and not to get so nuckin futz about it...

Not to mix providers here, but think about this. Hotmail - it's POP on the Mac and Windows, but iOS supports IMAP and the desktop clients don't. iOS supports delegate calendars (as CalDAV but the desktops do not) - actually better than Windows Phone 7. iOS supports reminders but both desktop platforms don't. Same for Yahoo accounts...

Exchange for Google, isn't. It's Google's implementation of EAS - but they generally list what they use and what they don't in their Help section. Exchange does not support multiple alarms on iOS and, therefore, Google's implementation of EAS on iOS does not (including mapping of calendar colors). Google's implementation of CalDAV on iOS does support multiple alarms (including mapping of calendar colors). Google supports almost instantaneous updating of calendars via Google EAS, but (about) 15 minute updating via Google CalDAV. There's more - it's all documented, you've just got to pick what's more important to you. At least Google gives us options...
    anon(153966) and anon4705295 like this.
    11-01-2011 01:22 AM
    iCloud has had lots of issues since before it was deployed. Check what's going on with iCloud here:
    Apple - Support - iCloud - System Status

I'm an iOS developer, the Status page is on my list of bookmarks. I know that others are trying to be helpful, and devs have access to a list of forum threads the general public does not. Frankly, iCloud is a work in progress - the devs had exactly the same password problem for several weeks before it's public release, on iOS and desktop clients. Besides the whole "woulda/shoulda/shoulda" thing, iCloud was having issues just yesterday, again - I checked. While at least one user was trying to be helpful, it was and is Apple's problem (I was having problems too and saw the status issues for myself). It's not you, it's them...
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-01-2011 01:30 AM
    FWIW,

On my iPhone 4, I turned on Push for mail temporarily (I usually Fetch) and turned it on for my iCloud account. I sent an email from Gmail on the web, to my me.com address on iCloud and within 10 seconds my banner popped up to notify me that I had a new email. Seems like Push is working.
    "Push" on iOS relevant to the Mail app isn't push email. "Push" on iOS relevant to the Mail app is a notification that you have mail, and the message count is a badge that shows up on the Mail app icon (notice how we can now toggle the message count on/off in Notifications?).

So you "got lucky" - I used to test my iPhone on iOS 3/4 against my BB (both BES and BIS), and it was a crapshoot. It's still a crapshoot. The iOS Mail app supports IDLE only when it's open. The Mail app badge uses XMPP notifications for iCloud mail - not push. Don't believe me, download the iPhone Configuration Utility and read the console feedback for yourself...
    NoleScream likes this.
    11-01-2011 01:48 AM
    Yeah, I just don't know what to do. I've tried deleting it from the Mac and re-configuring it and it won't set up properly on the Mac mail client. It works fine on the iPhone and web, just not the Mac.
    11-01-2011 08:47 AM
    "Push" on iOS relevant to the Mail app isn't push email. "Push" on iOS relevant to the Mail app is a notification that you have mail, and the message count is a badge that shows up on the Mail app icon (notice how we can now toggle the message count on/off in Notifications?).

So you "got lucky" - I used to test my iPhone on iOS 3/4 against my BB (both BES and BIS), and it was a crapshoot. It's still a crapshoot. The iOS Mail app supports IDLE only when it's open. The Mail app badge uses XMPP notifications for iCloud mail - not push. Don't believe me, download the iPhone Configuration Utility and read the console feedback for yourself...
    Thank you, I have a much better understanding of how it works now!
    11-01-2011 09:05 AM
    I love it when people say the reason we pay ridiculous prices for Apple products is because 'they're the best and they never fail. You're paying for the quaaality'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-01-2011 10:03 AM
    I really like the look of the iCloud website on the desktop. That's about it, though. I don't really need another free email account. Especially one that has lots of issues out of the gate.
    11-01-2011 03:53 PM
    My iCloud email is now syncing with the Mac Mail client! Whoot! Not sure if it will last but it just started randomly working.
    11-01-2011 07:14 PM
    Brilliant news, leharris22

...so how is iCloud's email (@me.com) working for everyone? Is delivery working correctly, i.e. PUSH?
    11-01-2011 08:20 PM
    Brilliant news, leharris22

...so how is iCloud's email (@me.com) working for everyone? Is delivery working correctly, i.e. PUSH?
    I have no issues with my iCloud accounts, but they're set to Fetch. Like I wrote earlier, iCloud email isn't push email. Apple's notifications server pushes a notification that you have iCloud email, that's what so many are missing, and iCloud email in the iPhone Mail app doesn't support IDLE for email (though it does for other providers). Apple's Mail app also doesn't support refreshing the email message count for iCloud email when set to Push. Delivery of the iCloud email is only effected when set to "Push" and only when the Mail app is open and active (as the frontmost app). Not picking nits here, but its whether Apple's notifications server is working as intended, and we don't know what Apple's polling period is (like RIM tells us BIS's polling is at most 15 minutes).

I set mine to Fetch, with a 15 minute interval, and I get email to all of my accounts without issue and on time and with resolved/reconciled accounts. QED. I have a tablet with an email client capable of IMAP IDLE for all of my accounts (including iCloud/MM accounts) and get notifications on it about the same time as my two iPhones running Fetch. Let's hope Apple figures out how to work out XMPP notifications sometime soon...
    11-02-2011 02:26 AM
    I love it when people say the reason we pay ridiculous prices for Apple products is because 'they're the best and they never fail. You're paying for the quaaality'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not me. I pay extra for Apple products because I don't need an IT person for my company, and my employees don't have to bug me every few days because their PCs aren't working as expected. This entire year, my entire IT expenditure since switching to Apple products was $0. Zero lost productivity. No complaints, no virus/malware/connectivity issues. First year ever with Apple-only products.BTW, we're still using XP, but I ported the disks to Parallels 5 vessels and launch XP only when needed, which is hardly ever now. And, the MacBook Airs I purchased were less expensive by hundreds of dollars than the 3 Windows-based computers I specced out.

I'm donating my planned IT budget to a food bank, thanks in part to Apple's stuff working as expected.
    anon4705295 likes this.
    11-02-2011 02:33 AM
    Yeah, I just don't know what to do. I've tried deleting it from the Mac and re-configuring it and it won't set up properly on the Mac mail client. It works fine on the iPhone and web, just not the Mac.
    Forgive me, however, there's a post/article you might be interested in reading. I have no idea what your technical capabilities are, however, it's a good read:

Fix a Lion file-opening hang in Mac OS X 10.7.2 | Macworld

Follow the instructions, and your ills may be addressed. Short version, and I can't get into it here, but during iOS beta testing I discovered a new profile in each of my iPhones during beta testing, and I worked through it with Apple Security - they deemed it was not a threat, and instructed me to delete the profile from each of my iPhones. My iPhones weren't working well during that beta, until I deleted the Profile and rebooted my iPhones. iCloud services were working much better after that...

The name of the suspect profile included the name "Ubiquity". Apple never fessed up as to how the profile was installed on my iPhones. I've removed the Ubiquity directory from my Mac a few times, and iCloud always works better afterward. YMMV.
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-02-2011 02:44 AM
    I haven't been experiencing issues with push (or whatever other technology it uses).

I just sent an email to my self from my Gmail account. The Mac OSX client received it exactly 18 secs later and iOS (locked and laying on the table) received it after OSX by 3 secs (21 secs).

There are times when I unlock my iPhone and couple emails get pushed at that moment, but it happened very few times since iOS 5 was out.
    11-02-2011 06:15 AM
    I just tested emailing from:
    GMail
    Yahoo
    Hotmail and my work domain, to my me.com email address. ALL of them delivered the email to my iPhone instantly.
    11-02-2011 08:25 AM
    Forgive me, however, there's a post/article you might be interested in reading. I have no idea what your technical capabilities are, however, it's a good read:

Fix a Lion file-opening hang in Mac OS X 10.7.2 | Macworld

Follow the instructions, and your ills may be addressed. Short version, and I can't get into it here, but during iOS beta testing I discovered a new profile in each of my iPhones during beta testing, and I worked through it with Apple Security - they deemed it was not a threat, and instructed me to delete the profile from each of my iPhones. My iPhones weren't working well during that beta, until I deleted the Profile and rebooted my iPhones. iCloud services were working much better after that...

The name of the suspect profile included the name "Ubiquity". Apple never fessed up as to how the profile was installed on my iPhones. I've removed the Ubiquity directory from my Mac a few times, and iCloud always works better afterward. YMMV.
    Thanks for the article. I consider myself pretty technically profficent. I like to troubleshoot and solve problems. I've had a Mac for 5 years and a PC for as long as I can remember. I came from using a BB for the last 4 years where I was a beta contributor. This is my first iPhone and I love it and I'm finding it easy to navigate and configure the way I like
    11-02-2011 08:58 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD