I recently migrated from a Droid to an iphone and continue to sync my Gmail contacts and calendar via google sync. I do not back up contacts and calendar on itunes. Now I am confused about what role iCloud plays in all this. Can I continue using Google sync? Can you use Google sync AND iCloud at the same time or is it one or the other? I don't mind having a backup in several locations, but will they all sync with each other each time I make changes, or am I asking for trouble?

If I want to continue using Google exclusively, I assume I will just not toggle MAIL and CALENDAR in the iCloud setup. Is that correct? As I (a bit tech challenged) understand it, iCloud provides the same service as Google Sync but is an Apple product. Can I still use the iCloud for music, podcasts et al if I choose not to sync contacts and calendar?

Thanks for your replies.
    10-11-2011 06:28 PM
    The easy answer to your questions is yes. You can use both, or just one. I don't back up my information on iTunes, being a longtime MobleMe user. I've had great success using this and am looking forward to using iCloud starting tomorrow.
    10-11-2011 06:36 PM
    To answer questions...
    Yes
    You can, but I wouldn't
    You could be asking for trouble - contacts, calendars, etc. to both - duplicates, etc.
    Correct.
    Yes
    10-11-2011 06:37 PM
    I recently migrated from a Droid to an iphone and continue to sync my Gmail contacts and calendar via google sync. I do not back up contacts and calendar on itunes. Now I am confused about what role iCloud plays in all this. Can I continue using Google sync? Can you use Google sync AND iCloud at the same time or is it one or the other? I don't mind having a backup in several locations, but will they all sync with each other each time I make changes, or am I asking for trouble?

If I want to continue using Google exclusively, I assume I will just not toggle MAIL and CALENDAR in the iCloud setup. Is that correct? As I (a bit tech challenged) understand it, iCloud provides the same service as Google Sync but is an Apple product. Can I still use the iCloud for music, podcasts et al if I choose not to sync contacts and calendar?

Thanks for your replies.
    Yes
    Yes
    You can, but you will run into problems.
    Yes
    and Yes
    10-11-2011 06:43 PM
    So far I do not see any duplicates of contacts and I am running both. It gives you an option to merge or not merge contacts ..... and remember iCloud is there for a backup, which is different then what google is for. Google syncs between all devices, cloud from what I have seen will only do this with apps, music, and books.
    zackawee27 likes this.
    10-11-2011 06:52 PM
    Thanks all for the replies. I'm still a little fuzzy about all this. Somewhere it was noted the contacts and calendar that icloud can sync must be Outlook so that means my Google contacts would not work anyway. I have XP on my computer which probably means iCloud won't work with my computer. I did just get an ipad2 so can I just sync between the phone and ipad and leave the computer out of the loop? Or do I still need to back up using itunes? And will itunes still have that capability? Can I just ignore iCloud and just use itunes as I have always done. Will I still be able to do OTA updates? And if I did have a Windows 7 computer, what exactly does one see in the cloud? Is it a separate program? I know with Google calendar, you open a web page and see your calendar. Same with contacts. Can you see the contents of the icloud or does it just sync between your phone and ipad?
    10-13-2011 02:18 AM
    I haven't read this TiPb article yet, but you might want to scan it for any useful info:
    http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/12/daily...rry-iphone-4s/
    10-13-2011 02:24 AM
    I stick with Google Apps for all syncing. It's a more robust solution anyway, at least for business. Also, by sticking with Google I can throw my SIM in my BB or any other compatible phone and still sync everything without losing a beat. iCloud forces you to remain forever loyal to Uncle Apple.
    Dukins likes this.
    10-13-2011 10:20 AM
    So far I do not see any duplicates of contacts and I am running both. It gives you an option to merge or not merge contacts ..... and remember iCloud is there for a backup, which is different then what google is for. Google syncs between all devices, cloud from what I have seen will only do this with apps, music, and books.
    Can you please clarify what steps you took to get this working. I am currently in your boat I think, where I just want to sync my contacts with google, but I don't want to create dupes. Please help.
    10-13-2011 08:51 PM
    If you use mostly Apple products, iCloud does the same thing Google Sync does. My contacts/calendars/bookmarks etc are on both my laptops and my iMac seamlessly, and I assume my iPhone 4S will have the same success tomorrow. The only reason to use Google with iCloud is if you use multiple platforms and you prefer google's solution. I still use google sync in order to keep my work machine updated.
    10-13-2011 08:59 PM
    I sync my work outlook with google that is the main reason why I still want to use it. I am basically asking how I can enable the sync with google without creating duplicate contacts. Is this something you know how to do?
    10-13-2011 09:01 PM
    I'm in the same boat with google sync. How do you get contacts and calendar from google to iCloud?
    10-14-2011 06:23 AM
    For now, I think I am going to keep Google for contacts and calendars. It works. But I learned something yesterday that had been puzzling me. If you go to icloud.com, you can see your back ups. I had read that XP does not support icloud, but I was able to access it. There are 5 icons for specific backups.. contacts, mail, calendar, iphone and iwork. I have other items checked in icloud options on my phone so not sure why there are only 5 icons unless iwork is the backup location for everything else.
    10-14-2011 10:44 AM
    It is not a big problem for me, but I have found the solution for sync Google and iCloud. Google sync vs iCloud | SyncMate Team blog It works perfect even in free version.
    10-18-2011 11:31 AM
    It is not a big problem for me, but I have found the solution for sync Google and iCloud. Google sync vs iCloud | SyncMate Team blog It works perfect even in free version.
    Sadly, I don't have a MAC. Does not work for a PC.
    10-18-2011 11:52 AM
    For now, I think I am going to keep Google for contacts and calendars. It works. But I learned something yesterday that had been puzzling me. If you go to icloud.com, you can see your back ups. I had read that XP does not support icloud, but I was able to access it. There are 5 icons for specific backups.. contacts, mail, calendar, iphone and iwork. I have other items checked in icloud options on my phone so not sure why there are only 5 icons unless iwork is the backup location for everything else.
    I think what they mean when they say XP is not supported is that the "plugin" for windows is not supported by XP. I beleive there is a control panel application that gets installed on windows mechines. I think this is what syncs the photostream to the PC. I think you can still visit the website though.

Correct me if im wrong here
    10-18-2011 03:06 PM
    Yes.. You are correct. Little by little I am learning more and more about ios5 and its new features. Being on Win XP is a bit crippling. I can access iCloud.com but the windows control panel is not compatible with XP. As a work around for Photo Stream access I am using Dropbox to download pics to my camera roll so I can have better control over adding and deleting vs. photo sync via iTunes.
    Appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. Great forum.
    10-18-2011 03:29 PM
    i have been using google sync fine for a while now, but i thought why not pop the contacts in the cloud for a 2nd backup. When i enable contacts in icloud i see an option under the contact app for icloud contacts but nothing ever appears. Under my understanding you can use both, is there something i'm missing?
    10-19-2011 10:37 AM
    or am I asking for trouble?
    As far as I can tell, nope, not at all

You can, but you will run into problems.
    Seeing as I've been syncing to both iCloud and Google since release without the slightest hiccup, I hafta ask: what would those troubles be?
    10-19-2011 10:56 AM
    I suspect part of it depends on how you start. I originally had both my iPhone and my Mac syncing to Google. I switched my Mac (only) to sync with iCloud, so now I sync to both.
    10-19-2011 11:15 AM
    I want to throw this out there and to make sure I am doing this the right and most efficient way:
    I have a gmail account, I use microsoft outlook on my pc, and I use google calendar sync to sync my emails and calendar appointments. I recently bought an iphone 4s(which is by far the best phone I have ever had, previously being palm pre & evo 4g) and now I have gmail and google calendar setup with my iphone account.
    Example:
    I add something to microsoft outlook, I then right click on google sync for it to sync with my google calendar, then I go to my calendar in my iphone and refresh and its there. Also vice versa if I add it to my iphone first.
    So I guess my question is everything seems to be working for me, but is there a more easier/efficient way to be doing this? Thank you in advance for your advice!
    10-19-2011 06:49 PM
    jamesshaffer - if you add your GMail account on your iPhone as an Exchange account, it will do it for you seamlessly...
    jamesrshaffer likes this.
    10-19-2011 08:02 PM
    how is that different from what I have setup now?
    10-19-2011 08:36 PM
    I do not have a domain.. so I am not sure what you mean? sorry.. just tried it and it was asking for a username and password, which I do not.. am I missing something?
    10-19-2011 08:44 PM
    ok, got the gmail setup as an exchange, pretty instantanious awesome! Now for the calendar, is there an option for my events to get pushed from outlook to iphone w/o having to rightclick on google calendar sync everytime.
    10-19-2011 09:00 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD