iCloud vs Google

dilipc

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I subscribed to MobileMe for two years until I didn't re-subscribe this January. It was a great idea to begin with, but didn't improve over time. In any case, it was expensive for me.
I'm hoping iCloud is better and remains free! I seem to remember that Steve Jobs said that they'd give 2GB space for free on iCloud. I hope that remains free forever.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I subscribed to MobileMe for two years until I didn't re-subscribe this January. It was a great idea to begin with, but didn't improve over time. In any case, it was expensive for me.
I'm hoping iCloud is better and remains free! I seem to remember that Steve Jobs said that they'd give 2GB space for free on iCloud. I hope that remains free forever.

Actually it is 5GB.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Don't take offense to this, but these are all bad reasons not to use icloud.

1. Just forward all your emails, make a signature of your new email address, and eventually it'll migrate everyone over without any work. Email, contacts, and calendar can be accessed online.

2. Yes it is ad free. Steve Jobs said it in the keynote. Apple wants stay competitive and keep the end user happy. This is a step towards that.

3. If you're talking about Wireless syncing with your itunes library that's done through a shared wifi connection, that's not part of icloud per se. however back ups with the cloud and music and apps bought from itunes and anything else the icloud description says it does, CAN be done over a 3G connection. And updates are delta updates, so it only downloads what's changed, therefore, smaller file sizes.

4. You're Welcome.:D I'm not trying to push icloud on you or bee an a**, I'm just informing you of what you didn't know.

Good info! Thanks for taking the time to respond! Heck, I'd be thrilled to use iCloud if it "just works!"

Reactions: rgar3388

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Another tip if you're thinking about switching e-mail addresses. Start making a list of websites and contacts NOW. You'll have a list of everything you need to update by the time it comes out. If you haven't used it in the next 2-3 months it's probably not real important anyway.

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Been on Google for all my life and very happy with no issues at all.

It will be a hard decision to switch over and with the reputation of MobileMe i wouldnt be rushing to jump ship, just put it that way.

If iCloud is reliable and efficient and is everything MobileMe me wasnt and more than what Google is, ill have to consider it very carefully.

calebmudd

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm really hoping that iCloud turns out to be all that it is hyped up to be. I've been using google sync for awhile but I'm hopeful for iCloud.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The idea of MobileMe versus Google services has been an agonizing, hair-pulling experience for a number of years (ok, since 2008). I always felt MobileMe was lacking in reliability and Google was solid and reliable. However, Google services "work", but don't "fit" a iOS device like MobileMe. A brief example: calendars. I have five calendars I use: Home, Work, Birthdays, Reminders, and Sports. If I color a MobileMe calendar green on either iCal or me.com, it is green everywhere. It makes it easy to spot and look at, and the colors are familiar. With Google, since it uses Exchange, it's random and confusing. Could be blue. Could be red. Could be green (by chance)...or yellow...or brown. Ugh.

The Apple ecosystem is where a dedicated Mac/iOS user should be. Like another poster stated, though, when Steve-o said they threw the MobileMe services "away" and re-wrote them from the ground up...I hope he meant that...and that we'd get something more reliable than MobileMe has been. There are LOTS of little problems day to day that drive me nuts. Still, I'm hanging in there...but it's annoying that I have to play "trust but verify" on my calendar, contacts and email.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Unless iOS 5 VASTLY improves the calendar, I'll still be using Calengoo - in which case my personal calendar is still blue everywhere, my family calendar is still yellow everywhere, you get the picture. Google still wins. Takes a few minutes of setup, but it definitely fits into the iOS ecosystem when you use a decent iOS app (which the built in calendar isn't).

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
If the web apps apple promised for iCloud are as good as gmail, google calendar, etc. Then I will be leaving google (just leave it open for google+) and use everything with my @me.com email address.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2