Is MobileMe worth it anymore, was it ever?

LouieO

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm getting close to the end of my year subscription to MobileMe and I am debating whether I should renew it or not. I never really used the email account I much rather use my Gmail account. The only thing i used was the push contacts and calendar but now Google offers push for these 2 functions. I'm just hoping and praying that Google allows push for their email but personally I'm fine with checking the account ever so often or having the iPhone check every hour. Lastly, i guess it boils down to really spending $100 on "Find My iPhone". This feature is nice and I hope I don't ever have to use it but I don't think I want to spend $100 for just this feature. Maybe Apple can charge a smaller fee for just this feature. What do you guys think?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I love mobile me. I use the features, though. Email is solid and pushes instantly. I use stirage and am able to access files on any computer or iPhone. Love the web gallery, easy way to share photos and videos. And I love the two way syncing of calenders and contacts, my computer and my phone always match! So for me I'll keep subscribing.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
IMHO, If you have a Mac and an iPhone, it is the best solution to keep both perfectly synced all the time. Also if you use the online file storage of MoMe, it is the best way to access all of your file on your computer while you are on the road. No more worrying about "Did I sync that file before I left?"

BTW, It also keeps your Macbook with same info on it as the Mac and iPhone, so I would say yes it is still very much worth it. But that is just me.;)

sbrianw

Jun 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've had MoMe for a couple months. I really like having everything sync'ed and I use the gallery and storage space. I've not had a problem. My fav is the calendar and contact sync.

Phoebe

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I actually have it soley for the Find My iPhone feature. I use the other stuff just to use it. I upload things to the gallery for backup but when I get the chance, I upload them to more accessable, free websites. I can't even access mobileme from work, due to browser support. But even though I haven't lost a phone yet, I read this one story from here that totally sold me on it. No one plans to lose a phone and I would rather pay $100 prevention than $800 for another iPhone.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Did you consider something like iHound which essentially does the same thing for a few dollars, without the MoMe subscription and all those features you can get for free from Google?

Reactions: xultar

LouieO

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
So the majority of you all are using MobileMe's photo gallery option. I tried uploading some files the other day just to try it but I dont like how you cant throw an entire folder to be uploaded and keep them organized. Yeah and the contacts and calendar can be synced for FREE with Google. Hopefully the gmail will be pushed by Google soon as well.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i honestly didnt think that i would use mobileme near as much as i do. but i used to live and die by my outlook, the problem was always that it was only on my computer. now i dont even use outlook anymore as mobile me i can access from any computer. the new idisk app makes this even better! i do wish however that it wasnt the same price each year. maybe a small discount for renewing?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The reviews from major news sources were all good. I don't put a whole lot of stock in app store reviews (from people who can't even spell "app").

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I did purchase iHound and decided that I didn't like the app. You have to turn it on just before you put the phone into sleep mode every time.

Unfortunately if you forget you are SOL until Apple allows third-party apps to run in the background.
-----
As for the people who write reviews, in the case of iHound they were about right and 2 1/2 stars was more than generous for that app. I deleted it after about 15 minutes. I have to remember to read the app description more fully before hitting the buy button a big DUH on my part.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I got my MoMe sub when I picked up my 3G S for only 69 and I'd say it's worth it.

I can't speak for those who have a PC, but since I have an iPhone, a MacBook, an iMac, and the gf has an iPhone, it allows us to share calendar info wirelessly that's automatically pushed, as well as bookmarks we both use, keep our address books up to date, and gives us an awesome gallery to keep things on. And I love the new iDisk feature (even though I haven't had a chance to play with it yet:p)

It's one thing that keeps me from going blackberry again, as I really like the integration. I'll probably eventually get a BB to keep around and switch between but MoMe really does work well.

I love the find my iPhone feature, makes me feel a little bit better about having such an expensive device. The g/f doesn't even use a me.com e-mail, I am the only one that has one, but she still benefits from all the other syncing features as that's all she needs. I needed the push e-mail, she doesn't and just has her gmail synced.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Apple just billed me for my first MoMe subscription. Personally, I've enjoyed the two months trial since switiching to the iPhone so I decided it was worth it. I'm an PC user and can attest to its value on the platform as well. BTW, is there a renewal discount?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
No renewal discount from Apple. But, apparently you can get cheaper one's from Amazon, and a few other websites. Just make sure they are 'valid/full' versions...

Jgittere

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone ever worry about security and their information being "out there on a server"? Maybe I just don't understand how MobileMe works. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone ever worry about security and their information being "out there on a server"? Maybe I just don't understand how MobileMe works. Any thoughts?

This is the BIG debate over all "Cloud" services. (MoMe, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) The question is do you keep all of your information up in the cloud or do you keep it local. (Phone/Desktop) Personally I do both. I keep much of my info on MoMe for syncing purposes but I keep it locally on my iPhone and iMac, so if anything goes wrong in the "clouds" I still have my data. I store NO important personal data in the cloud. (CC#, SS#, DL#, Bank Acct.) All of that is stored locally and is password protected.

I personally think MoMe is a little more secure than Gmail because Gmail ties into soooo many things. (FB, Twitter, etc.) I also think the key to security on ANY cloud service is a VERY good password. Nothing that can be easily guessed. Also changing that password every so often is a very wise move.

CatSkwared

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
I'm using MoMe with a PC and will gladly renew again when my subscription is up. I like knowing my contacts / calendar are backed up somewhere other than just my computer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2