MobileMe: old vs. new versions?

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i'm extremely interested in purchasing MobileMe for my iPhone 3GS. while searching for the cheapest version out there, 've been finding on Amazon that there are 2 versions of MobileMe. an old 2008 version at $61.49 (Amazon.com: MobileMe [OLD VERSION]: Software) and a NEW 2009 updated version at $99 (Amazon.com: Mobile Me Individual (Updated 2009 Version): Software).

i'm sorry for having to ask this, but i have seen a lot of posts stating there are cheaper versions of MobileMe out there. is this outdated version the 'cheaper' version that's being referred to?? i'd hate to lose out on features by buying the outdated version for my 3GS. from reading the product features on both versions, i fail to see a major difference.

and just so we're clear, i still think MobileMe will be beneficial to me despite only having an iPhone and laptop running Vista. but the price difference between these 2 versions has me concerned and confused.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
...but since Mobile ME is PUSH, doesn't it kill the battery much quicker?

Somewhat but 3G is the real killer.:eek: Don't get me wrong I LOOOOVE 3G but if I am at the office I turn it off and turn on WiFi. I still get my push email from MoMe but my battery life will almost double.:)

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
MobileMe is a really good email app. I used the trial then switched over to my yahoo since that's push as well. Being able to sync the contacts is the part I'm going to miss.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
https://secure.me.com/wo/WebObjects/Signup.woa

do this, you'll get the current software and 60 days free to try it out
I'm fairly certain you can buy a license key anywhere and enter it into the system before your trial ends.

the software they talk about I believe is just the control panel. it also comes with itunes.

WOW, this is great! a 60-day trial. haven't seen this anywhere. thanks flyingember, i'll definitely give this a go! and thanks for the reply.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
i'm extremely interested in purchasing MobileMe for my iPhone 3GS. while searching for the cheapest version out there, 've been finding on Amazon that there are 2 versions of MobileMe. an old 2008 version at $61.49 (Amazon.com: MobileMe [OLD VERSION]: Software) and a NEW 2009 updated version at $99 (Amazon.com: Mobile Me Individual (Updated 2009 Version): Software).

i'm sorry for having to ask this, but i have seen a lot of posts stating there are cheaper versions of MobileMe out there. is this outdated version the 'cheaper' version that's being referred to?? i'd hate to lose out on features by buying the outdated version for my 3GS. from reading the product features on both versions, i fail to see a major difference.

and just so we're clear, i still think MobileMe will be beneficial to me despite only having an iPhone and laptop running Vista. but the price difference between these 2 versions has me concerned and confused.

You should not lose out on any features. MoMe is pretty much MoMe.:D The only difference is, that I can see, one does not have some of the latest updates incorporated in it. You know Apple they are always pushing out free updates. It would be know different to buy any other software after it had been out for a while and having to install some of the updates once you installed that software on your computer.

You will certainly want to update if you do go with the $61 version. Apple sent out some very good updates in late 2008 for MoMe.

Reactions: jglowe74

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
You should not lose out on any features. MoMe is pretty much MoMe.:D The only difference is, that I can see, one does not have some of the latest updates incorporated in it. You know Apple they are always pushing out free updates. It would be know different to buy any other software after it had been out for a while and having to install some of the updates once you installed that software on your computer.

You will certainly want to update if you do go with the $61 version. Apple sent out some very good updates in late 2008 for MoMe.

thanks brickman. that makes me feel even better about the purchasing of the 'lesser' version. sounds like i can always update my way to the most current version for free. great to know.

<tips the scales for Brickman & flyingember>

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The thing that prevents me from getting a MoMe account is that I have two very established email addresses that I do not want to change. And while I can easily forward them to MoMe, there is no way to reply from MoMe without the recipients getting that MoMe address. And since I can sync my contacts/calendar to Google for free, MoMe offers nothing other than push receipt without the ability to answer an email. #Fail

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
there is no way to reply from MoMe without the recipients getting that MoMe address.

That is the one thing that I wish they would change about MoMe. I will say though, I use MoMe for my business. So I picked a MoMe account name that everyone would recognize. So even when I reply from my MoMe account everyone automatically will associate that email being from me.

I have gotten a few questions of "Which email do you want me to send this to?". I just tell them that it does not matter. They all end up at the same place. My iPhone!:D In fact that is what I tell most people that the .Me is my Exchange server. Makes me sound important.:rolleyes: Most people buy it and never even think twice about it.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Wa wa what?!! Two versions of mobile me?? I've had MobileMe since it was .mac. I have never done any upgrade on my computer. I was under the impression that all the upgrades take place on the apple server? Am I wrong?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have been a .Me holder since it was .Mac as well. First let me say that you are not wrong chobbs1. There is only one "version" of MoMe. Secondly, I am NOT a programmer type of person, so I am not totally sure how these "cloud" services work as far as updates go. I am merely going off of general software update rules. So if I am wrong, please someone correct me.

But Mome got "updated/improved" late 2008. It was pushed out by the server. It just seems to make since to me that if jglowe74 got a disk that was pre-dated late 2008, that it would not have the "improvements" built into it. The "improvements/updates" would come when he set up his MoMe account and the "improvements/updates" would be pushed out to him. Behind the scenes of course.

THis is my "assumption" why the difference in the price of the two differently dated MoMe account disks. Of course you know what happens when you "A-S-S-U-M-E"!:p:D

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
The thing that prevents me from getting a MoMe account is that I have two very established email addresses that I do not want to change. And while I can easily forward them to MoMe, there is no way to reply from MoMe without the recipients getting that MoMe address. And since I can sync my contacts/calendar to Google for free, MoMe offers nothing other than push receipt without the ability to answer an email. #Fail

hmmm. this makes sense to me too. since i'm NOT using it for business and, like you Alli i have an email address that i've been using since gmail started...not sure i want to change it to a .me address. and Google Sync has been working for me with my BB Curve just fine. push email is nice but not necessary. i can 'pull' it every 15 minutes or so like i did with my Treo 700p a few years ago.

perhaps a trial of MoMe is in order. then i can always cancel and continue to use Google Sync.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i asked this same question about mobileme and was directed here. i dont need the software that comes with the packagae only the serial number. so if i'm on the 60 day trial, i'm assuming im running the newest software since i have the find my phone feature. will using the key from a later version affect any of this?

also, as to the replying from your phone with mobile me, just make sure that you have your gmail acct setup on your phone, but set it to manually synch. then go to gmail and forward the mail to your me acct, then click on the option to either delete or archive a copy of your email. now when i reply from a forwarded email from gmail, i just click on the from section and i get a scroll wheel with all my options. i click on the gmail acct and it is sent that way. its kind of an extra step. but it works great for me.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
now when i reply from a forwarded email from gmail, i just click on the from section and i get a scroll wheel with all my options. i click on the gmail acct and it is sent that way. its kind of an extra step. but it works great for me.

this is a similar feature on my (for another week anyway) BB Curve. nice option. i'll take an extra step to avoid having the confusion of a 'new' email address. thanks for the info cobra302!

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
...but since Mobile ME is PUSH, doesn't it kill the battery much quicker?

Push actually saves battery life. It only retrieves when the server receives mail. With fetching, whether you have new mail or not, it searches for new mail. Keep in mind, both methods use the same amount of battery to d/l the same email, it's just that when there isn't new mail and the device tries to fetch new mail, battery power is used unnecessarily.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I have gotten a few questions of "Which email do you want me to send this to?". I just tell them that it does not matter. They all end up at the same place. My iPhone!:D In fact that is what I tell most people that the .Me is my Exchange server. Makes me sound important.:rolleyes: Most people buy it and never even think twice about it.

Sounds just like me... I always get asked and I always respond, pick one. Some have about 5 or 6 of my addresses and I tell them I receive all of it.

Now I'm trying to separate my accounts a little.

• Registration/Memberships (to get the spammers)
  • Business
  • Personal
  • Mod emails (CrackBerry)
  • School/Job Opportunities

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711