MobileMe: old vs. new versions?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
That is a feature of MoMe, cause you can't change the from in any of the accounts I currently have.

And you can tell to which address the email was actually sent (so you know from which to reply?)

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
It's a feature of the phone. If you have them on your device, you can change it to make it that reply to.

Example:

• Gmail accnt
  • MoMe accnt

If you set them both up on your phone, but have all Gmail being forwarded to MoMe, you can change the from within the iPhone when replying.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I sat down and looked at this for a long time last night after finishing this thread, and I found where you could do it! Now I feel like a dork. OTOH...it does give another point to MoMe.

I'm still so happy with Google though....

iManiac

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
MobileMe sync security

This question may best be served under a new topic but I will ask here for now...

I'm currently have the 60 day trial going for MobileMe, but I have a serious concern about the security of the sync process. When accessing the account from my desktop computer, the connection to the web site is over a plain HTTP connection. It will not allow me to use HTTPS (i.e. an SSL session). The only time it uses SSL is when I am changing my account preferences.

The problem is that most of the data that moves between the iPhone and the MobileMe servers is very personal information and contains sensitive information (account numbers, addresses, emails, phone numbers, etc.). It is bad enough that the desktop web session is not protected (and I think this is a deal-killer in itself) but I'm wondering if the sync between the iPhone and the MobileMe servers is also unencrypted? And it got me to wondering how must else of the standard iPhone communication applications send personal information over the internet in the clear? I guess since I have third party apps for most (all?) of my communications with my serious accounts at other institutions, it isn't a big deal for other types of sync (however, it becomes a problem to understand just when is the iPhone sending personal data using one of the standard apps over the internet) but it seems to me that if the iPhone syncs with MobileMe the same way the desktop does then one should avoid using MobileMe with any personal data. Which, of course, means MobileMe shouldn't be used at all (since that is it's main purpose).

Is MobileMe sync sending personal data in the clear???

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
ok, so did we ever come up with what is different in the two versions for sure? if i buy the old version, but only need the serial because of my trial, will it still work?

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
ok, so did we ever come up with what is different in the two versions for sure? if i buy the old version, but only need the serial because of my trial, will it still work?

i'm under the impression that yes, it will work. and the activation would surely trigger mobileme to provide an updated version for you to download.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
This question may best be served under a new topic but I will ask here for now...

I'm currently have the 60 day trial going for MobileMe, but I have a serious concern about the security of the sync process. When accessing the account from my desktop computer, the connection to the web site is over a plain HTTP connection. It will not allow me to use HTTPS (i.e. an SSL session). The only time it uses SSL is when I am changing my account preferences.

The problem is that most of the data that moves between the iPhone and the MobileMe servers is very personal information and contains sensitive information (account numbers, addresses, emails, phone numbers, etc.). It is bad enough that the desktop web session is not protected (and I think this is a deal-killer in itself) but I'm wondering if the sync between the iPhone and the MobileMe servers is also unencrypted? And it got me to wondering how must else of the standard iPhone communication applications send personal information over the internet in the clear? I guess since I have third party apps for most (all?) of my communications with my serious accounts at other institutions, it isn't a big deal for other types of sync (however, it becomes a problem to understand just when is the iPhone sending personal data using one of the standard apps over the internet) but it seems to me that if the iPhone syncs with MobileMe the same way the desktop does then one should avoid using MobileMe with any personal data. Which, of course, means MobileMe shouldn't be used at all (since that is it's main purpose).

Is MobileMe sync sending personal data in the clear???

Short version.:rolleyes: MoMe is just as secure as Gmail. If you don't think MoMe is secure then you will not think Gmail/Yahoo are secure either.

Also, even though I am a HUGE MoMe fan, and Gmail also, I would never ever ever store ANY personal data (ie SS#, Bank Acct. #, Visa #, etc.) in/on the "cloud".:eek: IMHO that is not wise. All of that kind of information is kept on my iPhone, password protected.;)

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
There is only one version of MobileMe. I cannot answer if the product that you are planning to buy will work. I would just go for it and plunk down the measly $70 bucks and try it. If it doesn't work your not out that much.

stringbeanie

Nov 17, 2004
Visit site
There is only one version of MoMe as chobbs1 states. The box is old and that is the only difference. If the old version, wasn't capable of getting the late 08 updates, then why did all of us who purchased the "old version" on launch day, automatically get all the updated features. The activation key is probably different so that apple can see how many 07-08 boxes are still out there but they honor all legitimately purchased keys. Someone else mentioned that MobileMe is never updated on our computers but rather on the apple server. This too is correct. MoMe does not reside on your individual computer. You actually have to go online to access it
Bottom line....old version will work just as well as new version.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site

It will work. I was guessing that it was .mac vs. .me as I had bought a .mac when it had already shifted to .me as it was cheaper. I now have "mobileme."

It's just a key. Amazon also has to sell you a working product. If it doesn't work, get your $$$ back, that's it.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Btw... I believe I know what the difference is. The "Old" version is the 5GB version. The "New" version is the 20gb version. This is in reference to storage. I haven't even used 1gb, so I think I'm getting the 5gb version.

Thudstaff

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
While I like the location feature and remote wipe offered by MoMe, I'm still trying to justify the $99 per year price tag.

I have three email accounts set up on my iPhone. One is push via Outlook, Gmail is fetched once per hour, and Yahoo (my spam account) is manual. I have an online storage account via a website that I have.

Convince me.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
It is THĒ best email account for the IPhone. It will sync your contacts and calender over the air, both ways. Now you can store files in "the cloud" and have access to them via the iPhone or any computer. Also, you have a web gallery, you can upload pix and movies from your computer or directly from your IPhone. Then send a link to freinds and family for viewing saving time by not having to send large files.

But wait! There's more! For a limited time. I will let you go to apples website to find out.

Last edited:

Thudstaff

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
It is THĒ best email account for the IPhone. It will sync your contacts and calender over the air, both ways. Now you can store files in "the cloud" and have access to them via the iPhone or any computer. Also, you have a web gallery, you can upload pix and movies from your computer or directly from your IPhone. Then send a link to freinds and family for viewing saving time by not having to send large files.

But wait! There's more! For a limited time. I will let you go to apples website to find out.

My Outlook email does this already. I have access to a file server to store files. I can access them on my phone and send a link to people now without paying for this service.

And thanks for the smartass comment.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
My Outlook email does this already. I have access to a file server to store files. I can access them on my phone and send a link to people now without paying for this service.

And thanks for the smartass comment.

I believe MobileMe is touted as "outlook for the rest of us". I don't have an outlook acct. So MM is a great option for me to consider. Not everyone has an exchange server to utilize or access to online storage. MM fills that void.

Thudstaff

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Normal huh? I just played with a band from Bloomington. Both of us shared the stage at the Chicago Rock & Roll Half Marathon. We were on the stage closest to the finish line; there were 14 stages and about 20 bands. It was a blast!!

Thanks for your post. I think it answers my question. Relatedly, a guy I know sent me a link to his photo gallery on MoMe and it was s....l.....o......w. I tried it at home, on my phone and at work and had the same issue. I wonder if it was just his stuff or is a systemic issue.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
Normal huh? I just played with a band from Bloomington. Both of us shared the stage at the Chicago Rock & Roll Half Marathon. We were on the stage closest to the finish line; there were 14 stages and about 20 bands. It was a blast!!

Thanks for your post. I think it answers my question. Relatedly, a guy I know sent me a link to his photo gallery on MoMe and it was s....l.....o......w. I tried it at home, on my phone and at work and had the same issue. I wonder if it was just his stuff or is a systemic issue.

good stuff with the band! sounds like it was a great time.

as for MoMe, i'm using the trial right now. and without wifi connection, uploads of a single pic are slow in a 3G area. haven't honestly tried from my home wifi yet. but the more i play with MoMe during this trial, i'll better gauge whether or not to go with MoMe or stick with Google Sync.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2